Thread: How I Got My Life Back

How I Got My Life Back

A little while ago I posted a topic concerning sleep deprivation and how it may have caused some kensho-like experiences. My sleep loss was not by choice, and frankly not much fun either. I still work long hours at night and wake up early for Daddy duty, but I've noticed that when I combine short naps with zazen, it makes a world of difference.

When I first tried this combination, I was trying to squeeze in zazen before napping, in order to ensure a good sit before my little bugaboo woke up from nappy time. This didn't go well, as I found myself nodding off too much. I then tried taking 10-15 minute naps followed by 20-30 minutes of zazen, which seems to have boosted my energy and ability to stay alert during the day and night.

Just thought I'd pass along the good news, and best wishes to other sleepless souls out there!

Gassho,
    Dave

Re: How I Got My Life Back

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the tip! I had tried zazen before a nap after my son goes down for his, but had similar results to yours. I hadn't thought trying it the other way would work, but I'll give it a try!

Gassho,
    Scott

Hi, Dave.
    I don't have any good advice but I can offer some encouragement. It gets better. My kids are 6, 4, and 4 (twins) and for a couple of years life was pretty overwhelming, even with two of us sharing the duties and with family close by to help. Now it is not so tough (at least comparatively speaking). I actually have time to write a little bit, to sit zazen once or twice each day, etc. So, keep plugging away doing the best you can.
    I don't know what position you sit it, but the only thing I can say from experience is that pushing yourself to sit in half or full lotus helps because the mild discomfort offsets the sleepiness. I used to sit Burmese, but I switched to half-lotus about a year ago and it really does make a difference. I'm now shooting to full-lotus but that seems to be a bigger jump than from Burmese to half.

Gassho,
    Bill

Thanks for the tip, Bill. I'll need to work on my flexibility a little more before going half lotus, since I haven't been sitting all that long. I will give it a try, though

Best of luck, Scott We're getting close to that time right now, and my bones are saying, "Yes. Take a nap first, please!" I use a meditation timer so I don't end up oversleeping, then move on to zazen feeling more refreshed.

Have a great weekend!
    Gassho,
    Dave