Thread: In The Absence Of Buddha, Wing It?

In The Absence Of Buddha, Wing It?

I'm finally getting around to gathering items for a small altar, and find myself in a little bind. Once again, due to my location in a very conservative, predominantly white Christian community, I'm limited in resources. I can probably shop for most of the items locally, though I'll have to hunt for a place that sells incense and burners...not holding my breath for Wal-Mart. I'd rather not shop online, also.

I've read on other Zen sites that an image of the Shakyamuni Buddha is acceptable if no statue is available. Is this correct? Thanks in advance

Gassho,
    Dave

Re: In The Absence Of Buddha, Wing It?

Quote Originally Posted by humblepie
    I'm finally getting around to gathering items for a small altar, and find myself in a little bind. Once again, due to my location in a very conservative, predominantly white Christian community, I'm limited in resources. I can probably shop for most of the items locally, though I'll have to hunt for a place that sells incense and burners...not holding my breath for Wal-Mart. I'd rather not shop online, also.

I've read on other Zen sites that an image of the Shakyamuni Buddha is acceptable if no statue is available. Is this correct? Thanks in advance

Gassho,
    Dave
    Image of Buddha? A stick, a coke bottle, a picture of Fred Astaire, Mickey Mouse doll, a mirror (broken or otherwise) ...

We recently had a thread on this ...

viewtopic.php?p=18862#p18862

... and a talk or two on "Buddha Statues"

viewtopic.php?p=18862#p18862

Gassho, Jundo

Whew! Thanks, Jundo. I was under the impression altars had to be more traditional, but I'm glad to hear there's flexibility involved. As you're fond of saying, everything is zazen.

Deep bows and sighs of relief :mrgreen:
    Dave

http://www.amazon.com/Buddha-Buddhism-M ... 209&sr=8-6

or else (and sorry to repeat the post from another thread, but I like how it works with Jundo's mention of Mickey Mouse):

i have corner of the family room as my area. no real alter yet, just two pillows that i sit on. no zafu yet either. my cat sleeps on the pillows all day or i lay my head on them to let the kids crawl over me. there's usually a few toys laying around too. i do want to make a more 'sacred' place for myself at some point.
    craig

Quote Originally Posted by Craig
    i have corner of the family room as my area. no real alter yet, just two pillows that i sit on. no zafu yet either. my cat sleeps on the pillows all day or i lay my head on them to let the kids crawl over me. there's usually a few toys laying around too. i do want to make a more 'sacred' place for myself at some point.
    craig

I think you're living in my house! It's unreal how many of us here have similar situations. My chances of having an actual space set aside just for zazen are slim, but I consider all spaces to be sacred. Once the warmer weather comes along, I plan on sitting outdoors. I may try to set up a small space at work, in my storage room.
    I'm partial to waterfalls ever since getting married in Hawaii, and I think some stores in my area carry nice table fountains. Incense might set of our alarm, though. And I may have to go with flameless candles.

Thanks, Craig, and everyone else

Gassho,
    Dave