Thread: Monthly Zazenkai Today

Monthly Zazenkai Today

Hi,

No time for a long post. Just a reminder that our 4 hour monthly Zazenkai is today

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=668

Be there or ... be ... square ...

Gassho, J

Re: Monthly Zazenkai Today

OMG I'm late!

jenna

Pedantic question/observation:

In the Heart Sutra, where you have "O Shariputra," the Sanskrit has it as "Iha Shariputra," which as I understand means "Here, Shariputra." So "Here, Shariputra, form is emptiness and emptiness is form." Of course, this does not mean the statement is not universally applicable, but I've always liked that "here"--it kind of brings it home, resonates with suchness, so to speak. Is there no "here" in Chinese/Japanese? ("No here here," as Gertrude Stein might say...)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei
    Pedantic question/observation:

In the Heart Sutra, where you have "O Shariputra," the Sanskrit has it as "Iha Shariputra," which as I understand means "Here, Shariputra." So "Here, Shariputra, form is emptiness and emptiness is form." Of course, this does not mean the statement is not universally applicable, but I've always liked that "here"--it kind of brings it home, resonates with suchness, so to speak. Is there no "here" in Chinese/Japanese? ("No here here," as Gertrude Stein might say...)
    Hi Andrei,

Red Pine, who is a respected Heart Sutra translator, calls the "Iha" "the master's shout, a poke in the ribs, a cup of tea". The Chinese/Japanese at that point in the text is ...

which is ...

SHA Sha
    RI ri
    SHI putra
    SHIKI form
    FU not
    I different
    KŪ emptiness
    KŪ emptiness

As you can see, classical Chinese and Japanese have a quality of "short hand", leaving out extra elements. So, a sentence like "Bob goes to the bus" is sometimes rendered as "Bob goes bus". In spoken Chinese and Japanese, there are ways to do that. But the written form is pretty spartan.

But is it so vital? Like "Oh" in English, such as ...

Oh Susana, oh don't you cry for me

Is it "my gosh": versus "oh my gosh"??

'my my" versus "oh my"?

Oh, I don't know!

Gassho, Jundo

Apologies, but I won't make the zazenkai today. My wife has to work so I'm watching the 3 little ones.

--Bill

Hi.
    You can do as we do, we both work at the time of the "monthly zazenkai" so we sit in on it later, knowing it is not later and that you're all with us.
    And sometimes we have to do it separately,knowing it is at the same time, doing it together with everybody else...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

I sat with from home with you all today. I often sit at night but decided to go for it. Being the only chanting voice out loud can be funny. My new neighbors across the street were impressed. Nice day outside today so all the windows and doors were flung wide open - from -20s and -30c to todays balmy -1. Chickadees, a chainsaw and crows gave the dharma talk- Im glad i got up to do it (running on 2.5 hours of sleep) with you all!

Gassho, Shohei -working with the the 56k dialup koan

PS Our (New Brunswick) provincial Government announced that by 2010 the province would be covered head to toe in high speed internet access. Currently 90% of the population as access. So in the very near future i will be able to join you with a digital representation!

Hi Guys,

I was dancing today's Zazenkai dance with a bit of cold medicine in me ... pardon if the Dharma talk was a little fuzzy, and the Zazen sometimes a bit wobbly.

Remember: We sit Zazen with what is, and there is never ever any "bad" Zazen ... even the bad Zazen.

Gassho, Jun ..... achoo

feel better jundo

get well soon.

take care, Dojin.

Thanks as always Jundo - I intend to do this next Sunday morning.
    Kind regards
    Shindo