Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricycle Mag's 90-day Zen challenge

Tricycle Mag's 90-day Zen challenge

Hi,

Kelly (Jinmei) wrote to tell me about the spring 09 edition of Tricycle Magazine...

They are challenging people to sit everyday for 90 days and their focus is on Dogen's Genjokoan and the Soto school of Zen!

I have not yet seen the magazine or the program, but it might be helpful to some new people on Treeleaf because [Kelly writes] "the magazine introduces Zen, the 16 Precepts, How to sit, setting up your home altar, and they briefly discuss the Genjokoan. Throughout the 90 days of sitting, Tricycle will have one talk a week, on their website regarding the Genjokoan."

http://www.tricycle.com/-practice/the-big-sit

I will have to go take a look. Thank you Kelly.

Gassho, Jundo

Re: Tricycle Mag's 90-day Zen challenge

KWEL!

I love it! Two non-Buddhist friends are even going to do this with me. People love these "challenges."

Actually, Jundo, do we have a set of Treeleafy zazen instructions for complete beginners? In trying to help my friends understand what to do, I went searching for a place where you'd written out an explanation of your recommendation on how do do zazen. I've seen the ZMM link and I know you did a series of videos, but is there a PDF or a post somewhere that outlines your recommended zazen instructions for beginners?

Thanks.

Hello Jundo and all,

Jundo - your welcome, although thank you's are not needed :wink:

For those of us who have participated in studying the precepts and Jukai; I thought this was a neat way to continue our practice. For those who are new and haven't participated in Jukai; I thought this would be a great introduction to not only the precepts, but also setting up a formal practice.

All this in addition to Jundo's wonderful sit-a-long talks and the support of the Sangha through the forum! If nothing else, I thought the "challenge" would be fun.

Gassho to all,
    Jinmei (Kelly)

I'm on board!

I think this is exactly what I could use right now. Excellent!

Nice! count me in As it stands I usually sit 5 to 6 days out of a 7 day week so i can use this to help engrain my sitting a bit deeper- if that makes sense)
    Gassho, Shohei

Yes count me in too. could we include some kind of diet and excersise program as well Kent

I'm in! When do we start? (the 23rd?)

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkai
    is there a PDF or a post somewhere that outlines your recommended zazen instructions for beginners?

Thanks.
    Thank you for reminding me! It has been on the 'to do' list for a year, but never got done'd .

I will try to get to that.

Gassho, J

Thanks for the heads up Kelli I'm traveling a lot now and won't be home for awhile but I'm still managing to sit in my hotel room using random pillows and cushions off the chairs and stuff. I am like really committed to doing this and it's comforting to know that the sangha is right in there with me. you guys and the treeleaf sangha are my travel companions. I'm really so thankful for all of you.

also...where is it that we can discuss Jundo's dharma talks in the forum. like the one on time specifically. I'm a little lost. this is all like really new to me.

Jenna :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by kudra
    also...where is it that we can discuss Jundo's dharma talks in the forum. like the one on time specifically. I'm a little lost. this is all like really new to me.

Jenna :roll:
    You can discuss anything anywhere and ... any time.

vflam2

count me in, too. is there any chance we could have a section on the board where those people who are doing the 90 day thing could check in daily (or so) with each other? i know i can always use support from others.

jenna, i read your post about traveling. you might already know this, but there are travel zafus available. they're basically a zafu cover with a beachball (or something like that) inside. i bought one when i was traveling a lot. unfortunately, i can't remember where i found it (i know it was online). you could probably google inflatable zafu and find several choices.

looking forward to the big sit.

Quote Originally Posted by vflam2
    count me in, too. is there any chance we could have a section on the board where those people who are doing the 90 day thing could check in daily (or so) with each other? i know i can always use support from others.

jenna, i read your post about traveling. you might already know this, but there are travel zafus available. they're basically a zafu cover with a beachball (or something like that) inside. i bought one when i was traveling a lot. unfortunately, i can't remember where i found it (i know it was online). you could probably google inflatable zafu and find several choices.

looking forward to the big sit.
    How about just using this thread? I may join you guys in the "challenge" Gassho, Jundo

So far from here, another sangha member is gonna join the sit. :mrgreen:

Yugen

I'm in....

Kudra, I travel quite a bit too... When I travel you are all my companions and relieve the loneliness of the road and hotel room. I have been using hotel pillows and couch cushions as a zafu... I have considered an inflatable travel zafu... perhaps it is time to give one a try.

I am excited about the ninety day challenge....

Gassho,
    Alex (Yugen)

well i think i will join too
    i also sit 4-7 days a week but lately with work and all i have been slacking off. so it will definitely do me some good.

how about we pick a date to start counting from it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dojin
    how about we pick a date to start counting from it?
    Tricycle is starting on 2/23, but I'm sure we could start anytime.

Glad to have you all with me in spirit.

I would like to commit to doing this as well.
    Perhaps we could keep a log - much like the sitting schedule & tick off against our name when we have sat?
    Kind regards
    Shindo

I would also really enjoy doing this. I think it is a great idea and would be something very good for me to get more on a schedule of sitting.

on a side note, i once read somewhere (i dont remember where but it had something to do with my studying psychology or something like that during the time i was in college) that if you do something for 21 days than it becomes a habit. well i dont know if its because of that or its something else but if i dont sit zazen for a day or 2 i feel that something is missing. and its not just the sitting itself.

Gassho, Dojin.

vflam2

hello fellow leaves -
    is there any plan to begin on the same day as the tricycle folks - february 23 - or a different day?

Hi everyone!

Yes, please, count me in.

This is the first thread I've read since I've been back, and just seeing the names & pics & commitment of this Sangha really warms me up. Thank-you for being here, thank-you for the support you give to the practice

Gassho, Juko

Quote Originally Posted by Juko
    Hi everyone!

Yes, please, count me in.

This is the first thread I've read since I've been back, and just seeing the names & pics & commitment of this Sangha really warms me up. Thank-you for being here, thank-you for the support you give to the practice

Gassho, Juko
    Hi.
    And there's something about your picture that always make me smile...

Mtfbwy
    Fugen

Quote Originally Posted by Shinkai
    Actually, Jundo, do we have a set of Treeleafy zazen instructions for complete beginners? In trying to help my friends understand what to do, I went searching for a place where you'd written out an explanation of your recommendation on how do do zazen. I've seen the ZMM link and I know you did a series of videos, but is there a PDF or a post somewhere that outlines your recommended zazen instructions for beginners?
    Thanks.
    I've just read the article, and, yes, I think it would be great for beginners, in addition to Jundo's own instructions. Enkyo Roshi writes a very good set of instructions on how to begin sitting.

See you there.

Daiku (Brian) :?:
    Brian (Daiku) :roll:

http://brian-lifeofbrian.blogspot.com/

hhdavid

I'm in. Member # 916, http://community.tricycle.com/profile/HelenDavid. This is just the thing I needed to get back into daily practice.

http://community.tricycle.com/profile/Frank87

I'm in. *gulp*

This is really going in head first for me!

I, too, am in. Member #649. http://community.tricycle.com/profile/JeanVanBonn Not sure why I felt the need to sign up for the challenge - sitting is just sitting after all...

Gassho, Jean

Since I am sitting everyday anyway & recently in our "live" Zendo, why not. I'm number 471. Our Sangha seems to be well represented.
    Has anyone noticed when one types the word Sangha, spell check suggests using, shanghai and sangria among other words. In my case the word Sangha has been in my vocabulary since the 70's.

Gassho

well here goes what a fantastic opportunity

Well catz i dunno if it was needed, but i joined up - Since everyone else did (lol best reason ever )
    Welcome, Shohei! You are member #2699 of Tricycle Community

Gassho
    Shohei

If Shohei is in, then I'm in: http://community.tricycle.com/profile/Dosho17

Actually, been meaning to sign up all week and got in under the wire...looking forward to sitting with you all (as if I wasn't already).

Gassho,
    Dosho

One down - 89 to go!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
    If Shohei is in, then I'm in: http://community.tricycle.com/profile/Dosho17

Actually, been meaning to sign up all week and got in under the wire...looking forward to sitting with you all (as if I wasn't already).

Gassho,
    Dosho
    :lol: Nice! Right on Dosho! /High fives!!

Yes Ron! and We're OFF!!! (no-wheres)

Gassho Shohei

It's good to read in the Editor's Blog @ Tricycle that Jundo and Treeleaf's branches are aiding others in their practice.

I’ve used the timer function on my microwave for years, but the whole thing was a bit cumbersome … running into the kitchen, setting it a few minutes longer than I planned to sit so I could get settled into my seat, etc. In honor of the Big Sit, I upgraded to one of the mp3 timers offered over at Jundo Cohen’s Treeleaf Zendo. I’m nopt crazy about the canned uber-Asian shakuhatchi that plays at the beginning and end of those, so I chopped them off in a music editing program (sorry, Jundo!).
    You can read the full comment and others here:http://blog.tricycle.com/?p=1083

Gassho

Id be interested in it.

Gassho, Shohei

I'd be interested as well.

Ron

Absolutely.

Please do so.

Thanks Chugai.

Ron

Yes! Thank you for setting it up Chugai.
    Gassho, Shohei

Thanks Chugai from me as well! Looks like we have a nice little group over there.

I would like to know how others are using the challenge in their practice. My home is at Treeleaf and thus I am using the Tricycle challenge as a supplement. I try to do 40 minutes with the Sit-a Long and I have added another 20 minutes later in the day for the Tricycle challenge.

I've been kind of mixing the two; sometimes I watch the Sit Along, sometimes not (sorry Jundo). I sit for 20 - 30 minutes, once a day in the evening. Everything seems to be meshing pretty nicely for me (the book club, the talks at Tricycle etc) I can feel a difference in my sitting. I used to sit 5 or 6 days a week so doing it every day is a bit of a change.

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed any difference? And how often everyone else used to sit?

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by rculver
    .... sometimes I watch the Sit Along, sometimes not (sorry Jundo).
    Yeah, me too.

rculver wrote:.... sometimes I watch the Sit Along, sometimes not (sorry Jundo).

Yeah, me too.
    ops: I'll do better coach!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by chugai
    It is the spirit of sangha that is invigorating -- so I find strength, courage and resolve sitting in unison.
    Even when it's "virtual" (isn't everything really?) and a witness might and probably would perceive a lump of flesh to be sitting solitary but without concepts there are no divisions ...

gassho --- James
    Wow very nicely put

Deep bows, Shohei

I am often guilty of walking around in a fog, completely oblivious to what is going on around me [a stellar example of this would be my in-laws planning my baby shower years ago with me right in the room and I didn't have a clue!]. Apparently, some things do not improve with time, because I only recently noticed this thread. ops:

Well, I have to admit that I love the whole idea of the Big Sit, but I've been waffling about whether or not I could do it myself for 90 days. Honestly, I found the time frame a bit scary; however, it occurred to me that I sit zazen more regularly when I commit to a weekly goal. And I do find it quite easy to sit my usual goal of 30 mins/day, six days/week. If I take the Big Sit a week at a time, it seems much easier to accomplish. All I have to do is sit an extra day. How difficult is that? Not very!

So I have decided to go for it! I didn't sign up at the site. I am just doing it on my own. I am logging my zazen in the meditation thread at ZFI. I am also studying the selected text and following the precepts. Today was Day 1. I am very happy to be participating.

Seona

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast