Thread: hands

hands

hey Jundo, a quick question.

where should the hands be? over or under the rakusu when we sit zazen?

Re: hands

Quote Originally Posted by Dojin
    hey Jundo, a quick question.

where should the hands be? over or under the rakusu when we sit zazen?
    Hi Dan,

Usually, the Mudra should be in front of the Rakusu, like so ...

But a couple of notes on that ...

On a cold day or the like, I will sometimes slip my hands behind the Rakusu. No tremendous faux pas.

Second, avoid to get sweat from you hands on a Rakusu or Kesa. So, hopefully, your hands will not be right up against the Rakusu. When I sit in a Kesa, I actually rest my hands on the long sleeves of my black "Koromo" so that they are not resting directly on the Kesa.

Gassho, Jundo

Hi,

since we're talking about hand positions... is it right hand under left or left hand under right? The illustrations happen to show both possibilities.

JohnH

My understanding is that the dominant hand cradles the non-dominant hand.

Hi Guys,

This subject has come up before. All kinds of theories out there about this. I agree with the "dominant hand cradles the less dominant hand" idea.

Here is a discussion we once had ...

viewtopic.php?p=984#p984

Gassho, Jundo (a righty)

hi Jundo,
    i finally made it to the room. thank you ever so much for your help. it feels a little more comfortable to me here than in the other room. thanks for throwing me a life preserver i have a silly question. if there is no one in the room to see jenna meditate, how can we tell that her posture is correct? can i feel it? :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by kudra
    i have a silly question. if there is no one in the room to see jenna meditate, how can we tell that her posture is correct? can i feel it? :roll:
    Is that like "if the tree falls in the forest"??

If the posture allows you to sit long periods in comfort, allowing you to pretty much forget about your body's aches and pains ... it is probably pretty good. I am recommending folks check in with a local Yoga instructor (bring youy Zafu, cause sometimes they lotus directly on the floor) or Zen teacher for a tune up from time to time.

Gassho, J

Not sure the exact reason why we sit with the hands in the "cosmic mudra" position. However, I find that it does help me keep my spine straighter and chest more open than resting them on my knees or elsewhere . . . I'm sure there is something more to it than that, but physically it's a good posture.

I have read and do agree that Zazen is as much a physical activity as a mental one . . . the posture itself comes from Yoga so that's pretty evident itself. Yoga of course means "union" and deals with unification of the body, mind and spirit . . . . of course the meaning of those words is open to interpretation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor
    Not sure the exact reason why we sit with the hands in the "cosmic mudra" position. However, I find that it does help me keep my spine straighter and chest more open than resting them on my knees or elsewhere . . . I'm sure there is something more to it than that, but physically it's a good posture.
    I agree, Greg. Other positions just don't seem to work as well . . . another case of doing something that works even if we don't know why it works.

Bill