The following comments & questions are in reference to the following: Universally Recommended Instruction for Zazen (Fukan Zazengi) by Dogen Zenji... http://www.empty-universe.com/zen/fukan_zazengi.htm

Concerning the passage: "In addition, triggering awakening with a finger, a banner, a needle, or a mallet, and effecting realization with a whisk, a fist, a staff, or a shout — these cannot be understood by discriminative thinking; much less can they be known through the practice of supernatural power. They must represent conduct beyond seeing and hearing. Are they not a standard prior to knowledge and views?" (italics mine)

Can anyone help me understand this, especially the italicized portion?

Also, the following passage hit me like a cinder block with a smiley-face painted on it... it was like a whisper of an answer to the ancient question "Why am I here?"... truly groundbreaking for me, hope I never forget it:

"You have gained the pivotal opportunity of human form. Do not pass your days and nights in vain. You are taking care of the essential activity of the buddha way. Who would take wasteful delight in the spark from a flintstone? Besides, form and substance are like the dew on the grass, the fortunes of life like a dart of lightning — emptied in an instant, vanished in a flash."
(italics mine, that's the part that had the most impact.)

I would welcome any insights on these passages from the Sangha!

Gassho,
Tobiah