Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Master Dogen Movie

New Master Dogen Movie

Hi,

Please keep an eye out for the new bio-movie on Master Dogen ... titled "ZEN" ...

Probably only available in Japanese for awhile, but looks pretty good (as such movies go). The preview below is chock full of Dogen-isms that you'all should be familiar with from hanging around here at Treeleaf ...

... such as "Things Just As They Are (ari-ga-mama)" and "Zazen is not about Satori, Zazen is just to sit!" ...

HERE IS THE PREVIEW:

http://www.zen.sh/

Gassho, Jundo at the Movies

PS - HERE IS THE POSTER:

Re: New Master Dogen Movie

I already really like the dialogue... hard to say if it will show up state side, atleast within the next year or so at best, though I have half a mind to buy it from japan and just do the sub on it myself so the family can see it and understand

They only thing my Spanglish ears were able to discern was "Dooogen!" :mrgreen:

:?: Is there a market for such flick in Japan? Is it about a part of Dogen's life or ?

well it's not ALL Anime.....though that is a huge chunk >.> but historical movies do just as well there as here

I just pay more attention to the anime-manga side of the marketing as that is where I make my living...but even then the more aspects of tradition you can sneak into it, be it the use of kami's or having the wold be a modern mirror of the edo period socially it does well.

Great pick of the month Jundo!

Now have to figure out how to get a copy. Will start searching. Will be in Los Angeles next week and will check out the video stores around 1st street. "Japan Town".

If anyone comes up with a US source please post it.

Thanks

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by lorax
    Great pick of the month Jundo!

Now have to figure out how to get a copy. Will start searching. Will be in Los Angeles next week and will check out the video stores around 1st street. "Japan Town".

If anyone comes up with a US source please post it.

Thanks

Jim
    Hi Lorax,

I do not think it is even out in the theatres here in Japan yet until next week.

Gassho, Jundo

i saw the trailer to this a while back. i so want to see this film.... too bad they didnt do it back in the day with toshiro mifune.. :P

Interesting
    I will see this when its released and able to be picked up on DVD.

I was wondering, I picked up a new copy of "Zen Noir" a while back and watched it a several times through (once trough with audio commentary on, the director and Brad Warner were discussing the scenes as they play and I found it quite entertaining), I was going to post that if anyone here would like to watch it id be willing to send it to them, postage paid so long as they would do the same, if asked. Of course id think it wise to purchase it if you really like it. (btw if this is some sort of legal infringement then I do apologize and just disregard). Just wanted to pass it on if some was interested rather than it gathering dust.

Gassho, Dirk

Myokan

I like the scene where the Ninga's show up at the temple to do Dharma Combat with Dogen. lol. :lol:

Hello from the Balcony ...

I was finally able to see the movie ... and (though Master Dogen advises during the film that we best drop all thought of "good" and "bad") ... the movie was GOOD!! (especially for a religiously themed bio flick. Of course, it helps to already be a Big Dogen Zenji fan!)

It really has some scenes that, for me, were worth the price of admission. For example, it had the famous lines in which Dogen is asked, after he returns to Japan, what insight he gained in China (and had his "enlightenment" and such) ... he said, "I have come back empty-handed. I have realized only that the eyes are horizontal and the nose is vertical."

It also has a few wonderful scenes in which Dogen, after his so-called "Enlightenment",sheds tears when encountering sadness, like the death of a small child. That's actually a big deal scene, because a lot of Buddhists might think that someone so-called "fully enlightened" should not be crying and feeling tragedy, and would be beyond all such emotions (that is a most common belief in many schools of Buddhism). In fact, Dogen taught that the human heart is right at the heart of the matter!

Okay, there were a couple of cheezy scenes that I put down to the filmmaker's imagination, like the psychodelic animation used to show his moment of "Satori" ... he flies into the sky on an anime pink lotus flower. Hmmm.

But, that was compensated for by the rest of the film, which brought Dogen back down to earth. He spends most of the film teaching such things as "Things Just As They Are (ari-ga-mama)" and "Zazen is not about Satori, Zazen is just to sit!" ... Sound familiar??? :wink:

I give it Five Buddhas! x 5
    Last edited by Jundo; 08-31-2020 at 03:56 AM.

NICE!
    I'm excited for it to become available here either in theatre or DVD!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    "Zazen is not about Satori, Zazen is just to sit!" ... Sound familiar??? :wink:
    :P
    Thanks for the review Jundo!

Gassho, Shohei

Yeah. But the more important question is....

Does the movie have a** kicking? :twisted:

Very cool!

A biopic about Dogen?! That is...well, AWESOME, dude!
    I'm sure there will be a crap Malay bootleg of this on eBay in 5...4...3...2...

Hi,

That sounds really good. It could take years before it's available here, though. No matter.

What I think is really wonderful about it - regardless of whether it is good/bad, cool/corny or whatever - some people will go see it, perhaps just by chance, perhaps out of curiosity, perhaps out of boredom because there was nothing else on and for some of them, not all but for some - their interest in Zen will be sparked. It could be an event which changes their lives, just as a half corny, half cool Shaolin monk demonstration sparked my interest years ago, and that really is a wonderful thing.

Gassho
    Bansho

Kabuki performer Nakamura Kantaro introduces film 'Zen' in New York

Wednesday 18th March, 11:00 PM JST

NEW YORK —

Kabuki performer and actor Nakamura Kantaro introduced his film, “Zen,” Tuesday in front of a packed crowd at a theater where the movie made its first and only New York showing. “‘Zen’ is a very subtle movie,” Nakamura told audience members. “In the days where we are going for easy entertainment, I was wondering whether people would come and see the film.”

The movie is the 27-year-old’s second film and first debut in a starring role as Dogen, a 13th century Buddhist monk who went to China to study Buddhism before returning to Japan. Nakamura’s family lineage in Kabuki dates back to the 17th century but he has ventured out to act in Japanese television dramas over the years. In his only U.S. visit to promote the film, the Tuesday screening was Nakamura’s first return to New York City since 2007, when joined his father’s Kabuki troupe, Heisei Nakamura-za.

I'd really love to see a Warhol-esque piece where Dogen is just sitting zazen for eight hours of film. No cuts, no breaks, no differences in camera angle.The action-packed climax? When he gets up to do kinhin.

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista
    Yeah. But the more important question is....

Does the movie have a** kicking? :twisted:
    C**kpuncher!

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintop Rebel
    I'd really love to see a Warhol-esque piece where Dogen is just sitting zazen for eight hours of film. No cuts, no breaks, no differences in camera angle.The action-packed climax? When he gets up to do kinhin.
    LOL...that's what I was thinking about.

Movie Goer #1 - "So....hey...what's going on...what's next..."
    Movie Goer #2 - "Shhhhhh...."

Looks like this movie is showing up in some odd places…I did a search, trying to find a site with US showings, and found that today (March, 20th) it will be shown at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo…a bit far for me to travel, but if anyone is interested see link below.

http://monkeymindonline.blogspot.com...gen-zenji.html

It must mean at least that there is a version on DVD with subtitles coming.

LOL...that's what I was thinking about.

Movie Goer #1 - "So....hey...what's going on...what's next..."
    Movie Goer #2 - "Shhhhhh...."
    "This movie sucks, there hasn't even been one satori scene yet."

"This movie sucks, there hasn't even been one satori scene yet."
    LOL. They must be looking for the NC-17 uncut version!

If there was a rep system, I would give u 5 kensho stars! :mrgreen:

Kinda reminds me of my favorite Zenny cartoon ...

runners up

I hate to ruin the movie for you guys............but he dies at the end. :P

Kinda reminds me of my favorite Zenny cartoon ...
    The second one is brilliant.

Gassho

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    But he was never born at the start! 8)

Quote Originally Posted by johnny
    But he was never born at the start! 8)
    Hi.

Ever heard of rebirth? 8)

Mtfbwy
    Tb

Since I am not in touch with the Japanese movie biz, is this like a major or indie movie in Japan? Was it well received?

Since I am not in touch with the Japanese movie biz, is this like a major or indie movie in Japan? Was it well received?
    It is a major film, but probably with attraction mostly to the Soto Zen crowd ... something like a film about St. Francis for Catholics.

disastermouse

Any word an an American release with vaguely anglo subtitles?

Chet

Sorry. Maybe this will get into spoiler territory. But. On the trailer, Dogen seems to be defending a young woman in the oldest career (seems, like I sez). What's that part of the plot?? :?:

Sorry. Maybe this will get into spoiler territory. But. On the trailer, Dogen seems to be defending a young woman in the oldest career (seems, like I sez). What's that part of the plot?? :?:
    He's defending a woman in the oldest career. He later refuses to let her enter the monastery as a nun (Eiheiji was a boys club), but relents just prior to his death and makes sure she is ordained in some way (although not at Eiheiji).

As to "reviews" of the movie in Japan, I have never seen any magazine or newspaper publish a western style "bad" review here of any movie ever. The magazines are not independent from the advertisers and movie companies here. However, I thought it was a pretty good flick, for a religious biographic.

Gassho, Jundo

damien

Hi all,
    I was able to get a DVD copy of this movie here in Japan yesterday. It has English subtitles available. It's basically a good movie, despite some pretty ham acting and cheesy depictions of moments of enlightment, dharma transmission etc.

I'm not sure of it's on Amazon just yet and how the regions work out between Japan and the US, but I'm sure people in a different DVD region could simply watch it on their computer. I certainly enjoyed it, as did my wife. It is a bit laden with sentimentality and Dogen spents a lot of time with tears in his eyes, which surprised me a bit, but the core elements of teachings are laid out and it is an inspiring film after all.

D.

Quote Originally Posted by damien
    Dogen spents a lot of time with tears in his eyes, which surprised me a bit
    Why did that surprise you?

Good news, I found a source for “Zen” . It is at “yesasia.com” under Japan Movies and Videos.

Bad news, it is $42.75. !!! :cry:

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Dosho
    Quote Originally Posted by damien
    Dogen spents a lot of time with tears in his eyes, which surprised me a bit
    Why did that surprise you?
    Yes, it was my most liked (beyond "like" or "dislike", of course!) part of the film, in fact.

Almost made up for the cheezy "moment of Enlightenment" special effects.

i am sorry i cant delete my post.

Gassho, tony yeung

I would so much like to see the film now that I've read about it. I always imagined Dogen being an old man forgetting he died before he reached 40 (?). Look forward to watching it!

Gassho,
    I.

I found a another source for the movie. $17.75 usd (not to bad).
    Estimated Shipping Costs: USA - $3, Canada - $3.50, International - $5

Link below

http://shop.hkdvdstore.com/new/zen-budd ... 27667.html

I hope it comes out in Netflix soon.

Sounds really interesting. Any other sources where one living in the EU might order? Also, are the DVD releases different in those places or do they all carry the same disks? Things like movie length, a/v quality, possible region code locking, ntsc/pal etc. - you know, the usual business with importing foreign movies?

I loved the movie... its not dubed, or even subed. so I had to struggle abit to put what I understood together.. I can't think much bad of the effects as mentioned...I mean, I see things like machine girl, yokai war etc... so in comparison they were pretty decently planned out. :P

Hi All,

A seller that other Zen teachers are saying is reputable (I, however, have no personal experience with them) appears to be taking pre-orders for an "all region" "Zen" Life of Master Dogen Movie DVD for ...

US $16.99 ... apparently INCLUDING POSTAGE IN THE U.S.

I just ordered one to be shipped to me in Japan.

http://www.kimook.com/item3648/Japanese ... order.html

Gassho, Jundo

frogman

Thanks Jundo,

I just grabbed a copy also.

gassho,

Bryan

A seller that other Zen teachers are saying is reputable (I, however, have no personal experience with them) appears to be taking pre-orders for an "all region" "Zen" Life of Master Dogen Movie DVD for ...

Gassho, Jundo
    So, did you get it? Has anyone else outside US bought one from Kimook and did it work alright? I just tried to order one, but for some obscure reason it doesn't accept my order. I get to the Order confirmation page and when I press continue from there it jumps back to Payment information and tells me to make sure the name and payment information match. They do. Same happens with a friend when he tried to order it for me (he has a different sort of credit card). I guess I'll cross Kimook off from my list of places-to-buy-from and get back to CDJapan (at least I know it works, have ordered from there before).

Quote Originally Posted by Mika

Gassho, Jundo
    So, did you get it? Has anyone else outside US bought one from Kimook and did it work alright? I just tried to order one, but for some obscure reason it doesn't accept my order. I get to the Order confirmation page and when I press continue from there it jumps back to Payment information and tells me to make sure the name and payment information match. They do. Same happens with a friend when he tried to order it for me (he has a different sort of credit card). I guess I'll cross Kimook off from my list of places-to-buy-from and get back to CDJapan (at least I know it works, have ordered from there before).
    Hi Mika!
    I bought a copy from kimook.com just about a month ago and received it a week after. The site had some hiccups on me. but it took eventually. Not the most high end user experience but ive figured from the email confirmations its a small 1 or 2 person company and they are using a canned shopping card system. Any special characters used in your name or information? Anywho I STILL haven't been able to watch it as my ps2 aka dvd player doesn't like it and my computer is always occupied. Im going to have to wait until the middle of the night under some covers to watch it

Gassho
    Shohei

I've forgotten all my Japanese so I have to wait for subtitles

Oh it has English subs!

I wouldn't mind seeing this. I also wanted to mention, I'm going to start another thread about Zen in the movies, 'cause I don't want to wander off-topic on this one.

Mandy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast