Thread: translation help

translation help

Hi

Got some wonderful little gifts from my in-laws recent visit to china. One is a lovely hanging which I'd like to know what the inscription reads. So Jundo, Will, Shui Di or anyone else out there if you can make anything out from my poor photos it'd be great.

In hope and gassho, Kev

Attached files

Re: translation help

the one on the ball, and atop the lotus that reads ?(Fo') is buddha thats the only one off the top of my head, I would have to think about the other ones..

That's a start , cheers

In gassho, Kev

Hi,

I am going to try ... and I am guessing about parts.

The first picture says maybe ...

Buddha will keep you safe (or at peace)

Increase Good Fortune

The second picture says maybe ...

Honor to Buddha and Respect the Gods

Summon 100 Good Fortunes?

The picture in the middle of the first is Kannon (Guan Yin) Bodhisattva, and the character in the middle of the second and third is "Buddha" as Aikoku said.

Shui Di, any help here with the Chinese?

Thanks for that Jundo

It's nice to atleast know the flavour of what it says even if you can't be 100% I appreciate it. Also good to know it doesn't just say something about daft tourists buying any old tat :lol: You never know.

I have emailed it to my sister-in-law who is Chinese but only speaks her local dialect I think. Don't know if spoken and written word are different or not.

I've also had fun trying to figure out the instructions for playing an ocarina type flute they sent me that is black pottery and a copy of something found in the teracotta army excavation. I might post a picture out of interest sometime, just incase any of you like a puzzle :lol:

Thanks again and any further advances more than welcome

In gassho, Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog
    Thanks for that Jundo

It's nice to atleast know the flavour of what it says even if you can't be 100%
    More like 40% I am working from Japanese (and Chinese that I have not studied for 20 years, and then not so well)

Written Chinese does not vary from region to region, although spoken Chinese does. So, your sister-in-law should be able to translate it. Let us know what she says.

G, J

Will let you know as soon as I hear if I do. Not the best with emails hence the posting here!

In the mean time....

a strange kung fu mouse figure and I pressume instructions for the 'egg flute'. I've worked out the fingering tab, just look at it with the instructions turned upside down. Harder to play than a shakuhachi, which is saying some! I an get 6 notes in scale so far.

Attached files

Hi Kev!

The mouse-thingie is in fact a funny hybrid combining the famous Japanese manga character Sun Goku (loosely based on the Monkey King from "Journey to the West" - the Japanese manga is famous almost all acrross Asia from what I've been told) from the "Dragon Ball" series with Mickey Mouse ears. The Kanji on his pseudo shaolin-style uniform reads "turtle" - kame - because it represents his training master.

I am actually a bit scared that I know some of these things...gee...and I thought I had escaped geekdom for good....

Gassho,

Hans

I loved watching the monkey serieswhen I was a kid. Didn't look like a mouse though :lol:

Daman Albarn (Blur?) has done a musical/opera of monkey, journey into the west but I missed it when it was on over here, saw 'the making of it' documentary and it looked great.

_/_ Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Hi,

I am going to try ... and I am guessing about parts.

The first picture says maybe ...

Buddha will keep you safe (or at peace)

Increase Good Fortune

The second picture says maybe ...

Honor to Buddha and Respect the Gods

Summon 100 Good Fortunes?

The picture in the middle of the first is Kannon (Guan Yin) Bodhisattva, and the character in the middle of the second and third is "Buddha" as Aikoku said.

Shui Di, any help here with the Chinese?
    I think Jundo translation is right... but I want to give a little addition.

For the first picture is
    "Buddha will keep you safe (or at peace)

Increase Good Fortune and wisdom"

For the third picture means "Fo" = Buddha

Gassho, Shuidi

Thanks for that confirmation Shui Di, still no reply frm my in-laws.

In gassho, Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog
    Will let you know as soon as I hear if I do. Not the best with emails hence the posting here!

In the mean time....

a strange kung fu mouse figure and I pressume instructions for the 'egg flute'. I've worked out the fingering tab, just look at it with the instructions turned upside down. Harder to play than a shakuhachi, which is saying some! I an get 6 notes in scale so far.
    the egg flute looks like a ocarina? sorta kinda...

Im not musically gifted in ANY way but i downloaded a app for my iphone that allows me to play it as a ocarina. its a very nifty toy and im actually learning something while I toy around... like i can play amazing grace lol.

Gassho, Dirk

yeh looks a bit like an ocarina but has no fipple, plays like a flute.

an iphone ocarina sounds much easier but not as much zen frustration quotient there I reckon.

_/_ Kev

Here's a loose translation I got from my brother in law, basically what you guys said

The characters on either side of Mr Buddha are basically blessings.
    The left side blesses the owner with increasing wisdom and happiness;
    the right side is a blessing for safety (from the big guy himself).
    The flower carving's left side is a blessing of "hundreds of
    happiness forever", says Yuki; the right side implores the owner to
    admire Buddha and be modest; and the large middle character (the same
    as the bead's character) means Buddha, or Buddhism.

Stil waiting on the egg flute info :lol:

In gassho, Kev