Thread: Steady Practice

Steady Practice

Steady Practice

We can demonstrate that the experience of steady practice influences the quality of our lives, but the nature of the essential urge toward enlightenment is enlightenment itself. The very fact that we are intrigued with the spiritual quest stems from the source of the Light, so to speak. Consequently, enlightenment is not an end; it is truer to say that it is the beginning.

-David A. Cooper, Silence, Simplicity, and Solitude

from Everyday Mind, edited by Jean Smith, a Tricycle book

Many blessings, Lora

Re: Steady Practice

Hi.

Is it at the beginning of the end or at the end of the beginning?

May the force be with you
    Tb

To add to what Lora stated in the first part of her posting, I'd like to share the following quote from Robert Aitken's Encouraging Words: Zen Buddhist Teachings for Western Students.

When I read this passage I felt that I had been punched in the gut (but the good kid of punch)!

To me, the following passage is one of the most clear that I've read regarding Zen in practice. I had to print this out and post it as a reminder. Hopefully I'm not attaching to this one quote but it summarizes, at least to me, the importance of practice throughout our lives. I hope this is helpful:

The continuing challenge of the Zen student is the integration of his or her practice into everyday life. The most profound truths translate out as honesty with oneself and decency towards others.

Realization of the Buddha Way is insight into the emptiness of self-concerns and the oneness of all beings. In daily life this is a matter of ordinary morality.

And as Jundo and others have so stated over the forums, doing the above is no easy work. In the end does enlightenment result in us just being good humans?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffLegg
    The continuing challenge of the Zen student is the integration of his or her practice into everyday life. The most profound truths translate out as honesty with oneself and decency towards others.

Realization of the Buddha Way is insight into the emptiness of self-concerns and the oneness of all beings. In daily life this is a matter of ordinary morality.
    Amen

clyde

Jeff;

You asked (rhetorically?),
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffLegg
    In the end does enlightenment result in us just being good humans?
    If you believe as I do that the answer is a simple, “Yes,” then the wonderful news is that we can practice enlightenment by “just being good humans” and while that is difficult to do, it isn’t that difficult to know what “just being [a] good human” means. For example, the Buddha is reported to have said,
    270. He is not noble who injures living beings. He is called noble because he is harmless towards all living beings.
    -- Dhammapada XIX ( http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .budd.html )

clyde

Great Thread.

There definitely seems to be a major correlation between developing our human potential (being good humans) and "enlightenment". I think working to cultivate our own human potential is a good point of focus for our Buddhist practice. After all, what who was the Buddha? A human being who had overcome his defilements and perfected his human potential. Perhaps this is a seemingly impossible task but as you all have said it's not one that is impossible to understand. Encouragingly, If we can understand it then it something we can move towards.

disastermouse

Does anyone here really talk about enlightenment when they talk about Zen?

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    That would be a silly. Do you think there's something more to say?

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    That would be a silly. Do you think there's something more to say?
    No, but for some reason I keep talking.