In the Big Questions thread, Dirk related a story about his daughter asking "What does blue go?"

This got me thinking in a whole different tangent outside that thread, so I thought I'd start over here.

The question is in the same format as the usual children's recital--Cows go moo, Ducks go quack, Cats go meaow and Dogs go bow-wow-wow.

So, what DOES blue go?

I read years a go a book by Oliver Sacks that had a section on cross-sensory reactions. I found this today, under an expanded explanation of the term -- synaesthesia .

http://www.barbelith.com/topic/11646

Basically this is where one sense reacts to the stimulus to a different sense, as in hearing or tasting colors, seeing sounds, and so forth. Some people have some version of this, most people don't have it at all. But it's something that has always fascinated me. I may have a little of it, for example when I'm working on choosing fabrics to mix in a quilt, the sense of whether they 'clash' or are 'harmonious' for me tends to be both visual and aural.

SO--the question I pose to you is...have you had any kind of experience where zazen has enhance, expanded or changed your awareness of things through the usual five senses? (touch, taste, smell, sight and hearing).

Thanks, gassho, ann