Thread: The limitation of words

The limitation of words

I haven't been posting much lately and I haven't been reading everything that was posted as i used to do for some time.
    part of it probably being that a lot of things are being written and i just cant keep up, and another part is me being a bit busy lately.
    but i must be honest it is not even that.
    i think it has something to do with the response that comes to mind after reading many of your touching posts, and they do touch me.
    I feel connected to each of you in our own little part of the internet were we are free to practice and exchange ideas, and i thank you one and all for this.
    but i must admit that silence is the only answer i find suitable to respond with, the reason for this is that for some time now i have been feeling that words are such a limited medium of communication. i find words lack the true meaning of the message i wish to convey.
    i am overwhelmed sometimes with this deep and profound feeling of bitter sweet joy. like interconnectedness between all things in the world, each has its own part in the big picture, and in the end there is only one picture. i find there is something magical and dare i say divine in everything, such beauty that i am left speechless and in awe of everything.

so i guess what i really wish to say is this

thank you everyone
    thank you teachers
    thank you everything
    thank you for leaving me speachless

Gassho, a Deep and humble Gassho.
    Daniel.

Re: The limitation of words

but i must admit that silence is the only answer i find suitable to respond with, the reason for this is that for some time now i have been feeling that words are such a limited medium of communication.
    Yes. But we must also look into the words and see the wisdom that is conveyed within. If you can see the wisdom conveyed within the words, then you can have a better understanding of the purpose for using them. Sometimes we talk bullsh*t, and sometimes we don't know what to say. However, sometimes we are capable of conveying the truth about things.

such beauty that i am left speechless and in awe of everything.
    Don't get hit by a bus

Hands Palm to Palm

Will

Yugen

Daniel,
    Thank you. A deep bow.

Will,
    Your admonition to Daniel to avoid being hit by a bus reminds me of Shunryu Suzuki's comment on the necessity of some amount of "self:"

We need just enough "self" so that we are not hit by a bus when crossing the street... (sic)! Was this the source of your reference?

Gassho,
    Alex

We need just enough "self" so that we are not hit by a bus when crossing the street... (sic)! Was this the source of your reference?
    Not really an admonition. Possibly influenced by Suzuki Roshi. The point was: We still have to do the laundry, and take out the trash.

Gassho
    Will

thank you will, i will try to be conscious enough to look both ways when i cross the street

Gassho.

Hey Daniel

Alex
    My post was a little more general. There seems to be only a focus on one part here. We aren't just beings that walk around being in awe of everything and speechless. This makes us look kind of useless. Our practice is made up of many parts.

One part: Dropping Body and Mind doesn't mean "we" are in awe. Who is there to be in awe? As soon as there is a fraction of separation, it is as if heaven and Earth were ripped apart. As soon as we take something and say "I have a deep feeling" or "I am in awe", we separate our self from that. So truly there are no words. However, we still take out the trash. So practice is also getting a handle on the big picture of what is useful and what we can do without.

Gassho Will