Thread: Favorite Non Buddhist Buddhist movies

Favorite Non Buddhist Buddhist movies

Just finished watching Groundhog's day, and thought I'd start a topic.

So what are some of your fav Hollywood or other movies that have kind of a Buddhist theme?

Will

Re: Favorite Non Buddhist Buddhist movies

Quote Originally Posted by will
    Just finished watching Groundhog's day, and thought I'd start a topic.
    So what are some of your fav Hollywood or other movies that have kind of a Buddhist theme?
    As per your title of your posts "Favorite Non Buddhist Buddhist movies", there are several, but the 4 that stick out right now:

1. Star Wars ( I saw it when it came out and I was probably 6 or so).
    2. 8 1/2
    3. Maltese Falcon
    4. Solaris (the russian version)
    5. Flash Gordon (the 80's version.....so B-Movie....I just loved it.).

The Crow

Blade Runner

Quote Originally Posted by rculver

Blade Runner
    I second that.

The Big Lebowski.

--Charles

Hmm

A Man for All Seasons
    The Lion in Winter
    Gladiator
    Groundhog Day
    It's a Wonderful Life

Cheers

Jools

I'll third "Blade Runner",

and add "The Truman Show".

Gassho, Tony

A Fistful of Dollars (the 1964 Western with Clint Eastwood). For this, I have to acknowledge Dean Sluyter's book Cinema Nirvana: Enlightenment Lessons from the Movies, which discusses 15 movies that people might not normally associate with Buddhist themes. He describes Eastwood's character as stillness in action and "a walking embodiment of transcendence." What he does best is "nothing." He is neither caught up in attachment to getting paid nor aversion to getting shot.

If this discussion thread is particularly appealing to anyone in the New England area, you might want to check out Barre Center for Buddhist Studies (https://bcbs.dharma.org), which is hosting Dean Sluyter November 7-9th on the theme of enlightenment stories in the movies.

-- Janice

I'm a little surprised someone hasn't mentioned "The Matrix" . . . (reality is an illusion etc., etc.)

. . . (didn't finish the post before it was sent . . .)
    The red pill (or was it the blue pill?) representing some sort of awakening to a true reality. I think the Matrix movies are all a bit garbled, and there's clearly other systems of thought thrown in (Neo = the One - it's an anagram, people! - who comes back from the dead to save the human race). But when I've made attempts to explain Buddhism to people, I've often heard them make this comparison.
    Simon.

My vote goes to Fight Club.

Check out an interesting perspective on the Four Noble Truths at http://www.livevideo.com/video/Travi...ight-club.aspx

Just some favorite movies:
    Around the Bend
    First Snow
    La Pointe Courte
    Close to Eden---My all time fave--filmed in Mongolia, Russian film director Nikita Mikhalkov
    documentaries: 31 Birch Street, Manda Bala
    recently seen and quite wonderful: Zero Kelvin, and Kristin Lavrensdatter. The Roe's Room---absolutely a beauty of a film (an opera based on the film maker's life).
    In the western genre: The Hired Hand, The Missing.
    El Topo a very interesting film--I guess psychedelic western is what it might be called.
    Also: Ballad of the Sad Cafe and Waiting for the Moon

When I was home mending from surgeries and had to sit in a passive exercise chair for 6-8 hours a day (and I don't watch TV), well--I figured 3-4 films and I'd be done with my 'job' for the day. So I saw a great number of films. It's a shame I have no mind for names of actors, filmmakers,
    I just let myself be immersed in the sheer pleasure of the film. I don't do thinking, just letting the film take me along.
    One thing wonderful about watching film at home is the 'bonus' features. I love the commentaries and hearing about aspects of the film making process itself.

As I look at the titles which surfaced immediately for me--one common feature: going beyond if not breaking expectations.

hmmm in no particular order

Breakfast of Champions
    Momento
    A Scanner Darkly
    Pulp Fiction
    Waking Life
    Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
    Being John Malkovich
    The Lorax

Gassho, Dirk

Quote Originally Posted by Keishin
    El Topo a very interesting film--I guess psychedelic western is what it might be called.
    I saw it...........&.....it's something else. I am not sure if it rivals "Eraserhead", which I still haven't been able to finish.

Another to my list.....Dark City.

Quote Originally Posted by Janice
    A Fistful of Dollars (the 1964 Western with Clint Eastwood). For this, I have to acknowledge Dean Sluyter's book Cinema Nirvana: Enlightenment Lessons from the Movies, which discusses 15 movies that people might not normally associate with Buddhist themes. He describes Eastwood's character as stillness in action and "a walking embodiment of transcendence." What he does best is "nothing." He is neither caught up in attachment to getting paid nor aversion to getting shot.
    I also like "the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." When I was a teen, when I saw this movie, I thought Eli Wallach was Mexican. :mrgreen: It wasn't later that I found that he was Jewish dude. :shock: :mrgreen:

"Blondie!"

Seven Samurai, a whole lot of zen with out all the religious stuff.

Hi y'all,

I'd like to put in the following:

Kwaidan (3 japanese ghost stories) especially "Hoichi the earless")
    Tsubaki Sanjuro (Toshiro Mifune) for the last scene
    Neverwhere (for the "ordeal" scene)
    The Full Monty (for determined non-acceptance of the status quo)

And all the movies that are brilliant examples of how NOT to live your life.

And my favorite non-buddhist non-buddhist movie - Propero's Books because it is just so Gorgeous.

back to wrok,
    r

Let me add to the list here--just treated a friend of mine to a viewing of Bubba Ho-tep,
    just a wonderful spoof of a 'mummy film,' staring....Elvis Presley!
    If you ever wanted to know what really happened to Elvis...
    enjoy!

disastermouse

Groundhog Day is actually my favorite movie.

To add to the documentary section of my recommendations:

Man on Wire: a beautiful, beautifully made film. So touching, very moving, thrilling and sad: Destiny!, Love! Friendship! and FAME...

Mais oui, il faut le voir!