Thread: When the bee stings...

When the bee stings...

Hi All,

I was stung by a bee today...twice...and it wasn't as bad as my mind had made it out to be. For years I have been terrified at the idea of getting stung by a bee, perhaps due to some deep seated fear I took on as a young child. Having never been stung by a bee I had no reference for what it would feel like and I'm quite certain that I have caused myself more suffering in trying to avoid bee stings than any pain I felt today.

I had no particular goal of trying to be calm if and when I was ever stung by a bee and had no expectation that my practice would assist me in doing so. However, I would say with a good deal of assurance that my practice did help me considerably. Perhaps it seems a small thing and now having been stung I know that it was never as bad as I made it out to be. The real pain was what I have done to myself over the years in avoidance of that pain. I expect I do this in other aspecdts of my life without knowing it, but today I found a practical result of my practice and although I did not seek it, I was grateful.

I just thought I'd share that.

Gassho,
    Scott

Re: When the bee stings...

Bee is for Buddha! You were stung with the teachings!

Stephanie

Gassho Scott--I think we all have our particular "bee stings" that frighten us until they actually happen, and then we realize, "Oh, that wasn't so bad."

And yeah, bee stings really aren't that bad. Except for the bee... Or unless you're deadly allergic... Or unless an entire nest of angry yellowjackets decide you're the enemy... :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie
    And yeah, bee stings really aren't that bad. Except for the bee... Or unless you're deadly allergic.
    That's my wife. One little sting will send her straight to the hospital. Her throat swells up within minutes and she can't breath. We really need to get her an epi-pen to keep on her to inject in those instances.

I have found over and over again that the fear people have is greater than the thing they are afraid of. One of the greatest lessons of my life was to lean into the fear, because most of the time we either jump in or run away, but the middle path is to lean in. Now I do not recommend leaning into a bee sting, but I can recommend just being with a bee that is near by, thus also letting that bee be, so to speak. I have a friend that goes into an almost blind panic if he sees a bee even close to him (and no, he is not allergic). The distress he causes himself and others when he does this is worse than any simple bee sting. But fear is irrational, so telling him this leads nowhere. He needs to experience it for himself, just like you did today, Scott. Good for you!