Thread: Sitting . . .

Sitting . . .

My sitting practice has really been slipping since April. I tend to get in a rut where I don't feel "worthy" of sitting, I think there is some fear or reluctance to tackle the stuff that is running around in my head. Problem is this created a vicious cycle - - - preventing me from making progress and getting back on track.

I decide to sit last night, and it was good -- I'm going to try and take things one day at a time and get the sitting in.

Re: Sitting . . .

I tend to get in a rut where I don't feel "worthy" of sitting, I think there is some fear or reluctance to tackle the stuff that is running around in my head.
    Hi Greg. If that's how you feel, then perhaps it would be beneficial not to make it a big deal. Sit for 15 minutes in the morning or whenever, relax maybe just do some breathing.

Just do whatever you can for now and do whatever you can later. I think there's a bit of a difference between trying to sit, and actually wanting or enjoying to sit.

Hands palm to palm

Will

Thanks Will, this is pretty much what I've been doing. I've attended a few "formal" group sittings which is helping out too.

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor
    My sitting practice has really been slipping since April. I tend to get in a rut where I don't feel "worthy" of sitting, I think there is some fear or reluctance to tackle the stuff that is running around in my head. Problem is this created a vicious cycle - - - preventing me from making progress and getting back on track.

I decide to sit last night, and it was good -- I'm going to try and take things one day at a time and get the sitting in.
    Something that's been motivating me lately is to say to myself, "I'm just going to see what's there."

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse

Something that's been motivating me lately is to say to myself, "I'm just going to see what's there."
    Always know that there is nothing to "tackle", no "progress to make", nothing to "see there". There is no "track" to get back to. Most vitally, one cannot ever be "worthy" or "unworthy" of sitting.

To understand this is vital to your progress and staying on track. (Yes, that is a Koan)

Otherwise, I second what Will advised for a time, if you need to get back in the swing.

Gassho, Jundo

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse

Always know that there is nothing to "tackle", no "progress to make", nothing to "see there". There is no "track" to get back to. Most vitally, one cannot ever be "worthy" or "unworthy" of sitting.
    And yet, it gets me on my bench. While I'm sitting - no motivation. To get me to my bench sometimes requires supreme motivation. Everyone has a motivation to sit, and those who deny this are probably lying - either to others or to themselves. IMHO.