Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
The behavior by the mods of that forum have forever turned me away from Tibetan Buddhism and Tibetan Buddhists. I no longer even read Tibetan Buddhist books or scriptures of any kind because no one from the Tibetan community has reigned in the bigotry on that site.
As Zennists, we understand the phrase “the stink of Zen” and have all either suffered from it at one time (or even now!) or seen it. I think all traditions have their equivalent. Some months ago, I attempted to initiate a thread on E-sangha to discuss this – but it was immediately deleted. Here is what I posted:
The phrase “the stink of Zen” is sometimes used to describe someone or something. The phrase has been used, described and defined by many Zennists and non-Zennists. We know what it means, and we sometimes properly use the phrase to describe a post that reeks of Zen.

I wonder, do other traditions “stink”? Is there a “stink of Theravada”? Or a “stink of Varja”? And what would that mean? Or is there a tradition whose sh*t don’t stink?
The behavior that disastermouse has observed, that I have observed, and that others have observed is, I think, the ‘stink of Varja’ and just as we would not want Zen judged on the basis of someone who is exhibiting the ‘stink of Zen’, we should not judge Varjayana on the basis of those who ‘stink of Varja’.

I am not well-versed in Varjayana, but I have not read a Varja text nor heard a teaching given by an established Varjayana teacher that displays the arrogance I sense in some Varja students. Let us not dismiss Varjayana because of the conduct of some followers.

Do no harm,
clyde