Thread: Confused, where are the 'talks'?

disastermouse

Confused, where are the 'talks'?

When I go to the blogspace for 'Dharma talks', I see videos that don't really have dharma talks in them. The have a (very) small ceremony or conversation followed by a baffling 20 or so minutes of video'd sitting.

Where is the actual dharma talk?

Re: Confused, where are the 'talks'?

Here. Look closely, because it is in 3-D ...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

disastermouse

So is that to say there are no 'talks'?

I would say those short conversations make up most of the "talks" at Treeleaf.
    I would also posit that the part of Treeleaf that is most wonderful is right here in this forum, and the community that has grown around it.
    Also if you are interested and have skype, I am sure Jundo would be happy to give you a direct talk one on one.

Sorry my original post was not as helpful.

Gassho,
    Jordan

more dharma, less talk.

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by cdshrack
    more dharma, less talk.
    Wow, that was insightful. /sarcasm

"You have to say something." - Dainin Katagiri

Hi Disastermouse,

I find the 5 minute talks have been and are very useful. 5 minutes every day is great, Jundo has some great insights is pretty concise, has some amusing ways of explaining things too. Hey, it's 35min a week, 2hrs + a month, and it's free

Seriously, if you check back and go through a series of talks say the ones on the genjo koan, I'm sure you'll see they may be only 5 minutes but a worth while 5 minutes.

In gassho, Kev

disastermouse

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog
    Hi Disastermouse,

I find the 5 minute talks have been and are very useful. 5 minutes every day is great, Jundo has some great insights is pretty concise, has some amusing ways of explaining things too. Hey, it's 35min a week, 2hrs + a month, and it's free

Seriously, if you check back and go through a series of talks say the ones on the genjo koan, I'm sure you'll see they may be only 5 minutes but a worth while 5 minutes.

In gassho, Kev
    I didn't want to give anyone the impression that I didn't think the sit-alongs were worthwhile.

I frequently listen to the mp3 talks by Buddhist teachers and had thought that Jundo had some of those. I wanted to make sure I wasn't just missing some obvious link on the pages or something.

Also, the Zen timers are a brilliant idea.

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    Something. :mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by disastermouse
    Quote Originally Posted by cdshrack
    more dharma, less talk.
    Wow, that was insightful. /sarcasm

Hi.
    ever heard of "the talking silence"?

May the force be with you
    Tb

Disastermouse,
    I gather that you're referring to mp3 type dharma talks? There's a plethora of those available at dharma seed. Very informative ones. I have downloaded a few and listen to them once in a while, but at least for me, nothing beats sitting. Sometimes dharma talks can end up replacing meditation practice. Nice to talk about aspects of meditation practice, but it's not the same as doing it. I have a sneaking suspicion that many people have the good intention of practicing on a regular basis, and instead use diversions such as reading about it, going on retreat (as a way to get back into the practice) and listening to long dharma talks by charismatic teachers. These things have their place; however, they aren't the real thing, and they certainly don't replace meditation practice itself. A while back I came across some information stating that, on average, the majority of the people who attended retreats didn't practice on a regular basis. Apparently, they decided to go on retreats in the hopes of re-igniting their practice.

What I like about the way things are set up at Treeleaf, is that Jundo has a gift for communicating lived experience and insight in a concise manner. I don't think he's here just to amuse or entertain us (well, okay, the interview with the Xmas tree, etc. are the exception). During a few of the sessions he hasn't even talked. I must admit that at first I was disappointed. This became a good learning experience for me.