Thread: 8/8 - Seven Points of Practice Point 7 Recap - p. 167

8/8 - Seven Points of Practice Point 7 Recap - p. 167

Oh, I almost forgot to post this this week. ops:

I hope that "Point 7" is not about being attentive and mindful ...

Gassho, J

Re: 8/8 - Seven Points of Practice Point 7 Recap - p. 167

Uchiyama on page 168,

There is no one who can claim to always embody bodhi-mind, the mind that aspires to practice and attain enlightenment. Each of us gathers and contributes his or her own little bodhi-mind to the general effort.

For me, these two sentences sum up the purpose and the value of the sangha in general and Treeleaf in particular.

Gassho, Tony

Quote Originally Posted by Tony-KY
    For me, these two sentences sum up the purpose and the value of the sangha in general and Treeleaf in particular.
    Hi Tony, I wholeheartedly agree. One thing that Uchiyama said gave me pause, though.
    A good practice place must neither be a place for carrying on religious political intrigues nor a place to try to clamber up the pseudo-spiritual ladder.
    That is pretty challenging for any type of group. I keep thinking back to my posts at Treeleaf. Did I engage in any gossip that might exacerbate "religious political intrigues" or express something in a competitive way?

I confess to being competitive. And, I see the negative impact of this behavior on others. The challenge is how to be supportive and helpful to fellow sangha members without being pedantic or resorting to one-upmanship.

I think that it is probably impossible to avoid religious political intrigues and competitiveness in any society. But the better I can understand the root causes of my behavior, the better I can contribute to the sangha and make it a "good practice place." And after all, my practice seems to benefit the most from repeated attempts and failures.

Gassho,

Linda

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Uchiyama Roshi
    Cooperate with one another and aim to create a place where sincere practitioners can practice without trouble.
    Hey, that sounds like Treeleaf, doesn't it? Well, OK, 99% of the time anyway. :wink:

Gassho
    Ken

I enjoyed the old saying (on page 168):
    The poor farmer makes weeds, the mediocre one makes crops, and the skilled farmer makes soil.
    My take was: making soil is about developing the foundation with a focus on conditions and processes that are life-supporting and enhancing. Whereas making crops, suggests a focus and perhaps an attachment to a particular outcome.

Janice