Thread: Zazen -- Training to Shut up and Listen to the World?

Zazen -- Training to Shut up and Listen to the World?

Hello everyone,

Just now, I sat for 10 minutes before I have to do work-related things for the rest of the afternoon.

After I was finished, I asked myself the following question -- During zazen, in objectless meditation (which, I think, is the focus of Soto Zen), are we really training ourselves to be good listeners? Similar to listening in a conversation with someone, are we seeking to just "shut up and listen" to everything around us without judging, commenting, thinking about something else, or thinking about what is happening around us?

This analogy seems to work for me, but I wanted to run it by you guys to see if I was on track. It seems like, if this is the case, then by listening to the world, we will be fully able to adjust our lives to what is happening around us for harmonious daily living.

Re: Zazen -- Training to Shut up and Listen to the World?

Hi Mushin,

Brad Warner has a book out called "Shut up and sit down". I think attention is paid to just siting, but in doing that one "hears" everthing that is going on as opposed to listening.

It is a subtle difference but i may have missed the mark or not understood ur question.

Mettha.

Re: Zazen -- Training to Shut up and Listen to the World?

Hi Mushin,

I think that sitting goes beyond becoming a good listener. Remember, the Heart Sutra says
    No eye,ear, nose, tongue, body, mind; No sight, sound, smell, taste, touch, nor object of mind
    Do not cling to anything while you are sitting.

Hope this helps.

Gassho,

Linda