Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ANNOUNCEMENT: JUKAI / NEW BOOK FOR BOOK CLUB

ANNOUNCEMENT: JUKAI / NEW BOOK FOR BOOK CLUB

Hi,

For our next book in the Book Club and in preparation for our upcoming Jukai (Undertaking the Precepts) Ceremony, I am going to use Robert Aitken Roshi's, THE MIND OF CLOVER. It is a beautiful examination of the Precepts and Buddhist ethics. In fact, the Book Club will become our "Precepts Study Class" in preparation for the Jukai, although folks who just want to read and discuss the book, and not undertake the Jukai ceremony at Treeleaf, are more than welcome to join in. You can treat it as the "Book Club" or the "Precepts Study Class", and even decide to take the Jukai later (although we will also be having a Rakusu sewing class, and that will take time). In addition to Aitken Roshi's book, our readings for the Precepts study will also be supplemented by other writings and essays by other teachers, all of which should be available on the internet and which I will introduce from time to time.

More information on the Jukai will come this week. The time has come.

For more details about THE MIND OF CLOVER, and how to order it, please listen to today's talk on the "Sit-a-Long". We will start it soon after finishing Uchiyama Roshi's "OPENING THE HAND OF THOUGHT".

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/07 ... -book.html

Precepts study is vital for all Buddhists, whether or not you are preparing for the Jukai ceremony. Everyone in the Sangha should join in the book club for this one, I believe.

Gassho, Jundo

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: JUKAI / NEW BOOK FOR BOOK CLUB

Looking forward to discussing the book with everybody. It is a fantastic selection, a great read for anybody practicing zazen right from the first chapter: "Without the precepts as guidelines, Zen Buddhism tends to become a hobby, made to fit the needs of the ego". It will be useful for Jukai preparation, but it will be particularly beneficial for anybody concerned that the precepts are or intend to be rigid commandments (as yours truly, raised in a fundamentalist Catholic environment, used to imagine). "They are not commandments engraved in stone, but expressions of inspiration written in something more fluid than water". Thanks, Jundo.

Gassho

Great! Looking fwd to it. I am gonna get my copy via Amazon or B&N.

I ordered my copy. Looking forward to the study sessions.

Robert Aitken is a wonderful, elegant writer, and I look forward to reading and discussing this book.

I just placed my order for the book. Looking forward to reading this book. I,ve been reading Opening the hand of thought on my own with out contributing to the book club. I will do my best to contribute with this upcoming book.
    Gassho
    Dirk

I'll be ordering my book as soon as I leave here.

Gassho,
    Keith

I ordered my copy also. I'm looking forward to reading it. Is the Jukai ceremony only done in person? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Tomlinson
    Is the Jukai ceremony only done in person? Thanks.
    The Jukai ceremony, and all the preparations for it including a series of Rakusu sewing classes, will be done online using our amazing Treeleaf technology (that sometimes even works! ops: ). If we drop all thought of "here" "there" "you" "me" ... what is not "in person"??

I am inviting several respected Zen teachers from other lineages to observe how we do this, because I want it to be no more and no less than would occur if we were preparing and holding a ceremony under the same roof.

More details will come this week. Look for them. Gassho, Jundo

Thank you teacher. I'll be sure to participate.

I am inviting several respected Zen teachers from other lineages to observe how we do this,
    Man, now I got all little-self-conscious. I guess I'll start behaving like a real buddhist and stop my trash talk about other practices, now that they're going to be watching us. ('Bout time, say the patriarchs about to snap out of satori). :twisted: Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted.

Big Mind is still gonna get it, though.

My copy is on the way. Looking forward to it!

Linda

Book is on the way and bought a new highlighter :lol:

Ordering it straight away. I can't find it in Polish, but the English will of course do

I think Harry brings up a good point here. It reminds me of a passage in Wanting Enlightenment is a Big Mistake. In it a question was asked to Seung Sahn about abortion, and he was unwilling to give a pat, black and white answer.

What Harry brings up is something I think we should keep our minds open to, massaged or otherwise. However, a massaged mind sounds rather stimualting. ops:

Gassho,
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by HezB
    If I recall rightly the author outlines some quite eccentric opinions and views in this book. We're going into the realm of our relative moral values here I think.
    Can you provide cite? :?: :|

was involved in a bit of a verbal scuffle in the Book Club before because I wasn't prepared to blindly swallow what some Zen teacher or other was peddling. It seemed like waffle to me, it still largely does.
    Good for you! That makes the discussion a lot more interesting! I tend to be a bit iconoclastic sometimes myself; if we don't challenge our assumptions about everything, we're not practicing well, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by HezB

No, I haven't got the book at the moment. Its on its way from the Amazonians.

I read some of it in a Zen centre I visited once. I'm sure we'll be discussing it all in the near future.
    Thanks Harry. I just read parts of the book @ amazon.com where you can read some of the pgs. I was just curious about your comment reg. "eccentric opinions."

Hi,

I've just ordered my copy as well. I haven't read anything by Robert Aitken as of yet, so I'm looking forward to it. I don't think that it's necessarily a bad thing if there are stances taken in the book which we disagree with, nor do I even think we should strive to come to a consensus on whatever those issues may be. Rather, I think it's more important for each of us to question our own personal thoughts, motivation, behavior in regards to those issues, and I think our Sangha offers a very fertile ground for discussions that will help each of us to do so.

Gassho
    Ken

Robert Aitken is one of my favorite Zen authors, and Mind of Clover is an amazing exploration of the precepts. I really look forward to re-reading this within the context of Jukai preparation. Can't wait to discuss with you all.

for the financially handicapped, i assume you are aware of addall.com? -- they are a comparison book shopping service, usually used books -- always get my stuff from them, usually a great savings -- this book is under $11, delivered to my u.s. address

gassho, bob

Hello all,

I too have purchased the book and am looking forward to reading it with you all and preparing for Jukai. But first the greenhorn must research what Jukai is - oh, I have a lot to learn. :wink:

Bob, thanks for the info about addall.com. I've never heard of them, but will use them in the future.

Gassho,
    Kelly

I too consider myself an iconoclast in many ways since I don't like to swallow everything whole and accept everything I'm told, but that attitude developed largely because I used to do that quite frequently. For a time, if it was written in a book I assumed it was true.

I don't have a problem with writers who express their opinions on issues, but I assume the discussion here refers to an author who claims their view to be justified by Buddhist beliefs and therefore is somehow more valid than other opinions. I'd submit that those authors aren't very good Buddhists if they cling to such a narrow view of an issue and use their platform for dogmatic thinking. That's just the kind of thing I came to Buddhism to get away from!

I'm really looking forard to the book club/jukai discussions and hope to learn something from everyone!

Gassho,
    Scott

Hi,

In the Zen Buddhist perspective, the Precepts are not "Commandments from On High", but more arrows pointing to a life harmless and healthful to self and others (not two, by the way) and conducive to Buddhist Practice. They are flexible, with many gray areas subject to personal interpretation (though some seeming black & whites too ... almost no reason I could think to steal money from a bank just to buy a wide-screen tv, for example ... although food for the needy, ala Robin Hood, is less clear perhaps). Anyway, we will have time to get into all that later (please don't start that debate now :roll: ).

We will read opinions and views from a variety of writers, some who disagree on issues and interpretations of the Precepts very much.

We are now having such a discussion on the "Buddhist Hymm Sheet" thread, by the way.

Gassho, Jundo

Anyway, we will have time to get into all that later (please don't start that debate now ).
    mpmpmmhhjhjmmp... arrrghh, damn you, paramitas, particularly PATIENCE

Ordered copy through B&N. Looking fwd to discussion and learning from all.

Ordered from Amazon...looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    for the financially handicapped, i assume you are aware of addall.com? -- they are a comparison book shopping service, usually used books -- always get my stuff from them, usually a great savings -- this book is under $11, delivered to my u.s. address

gassho, bob
    Hi, just a shopping note - I have always used abebooks.com and been very happy with both price and the international selection. Please note that other sites will list one or two books from abebooks.com but if you go to abe itself you find dozens. Anyway, I have ordered books from US, Britain and France and been very happy (sent to US address).

thanks,
    rowan

Well looks like I decided to make a much overdue visit just in the nick of time . . . . I'll look into finding the book.

If I recall rightly the author outlines some quite eccentric opinions and views in this book. We're going into the realm of our relative moral values here I think.
    I read the book pretty recently, and I think I know what you mean. A couple of passages made me say, "...Huh?" But let's save it for the discussion...[drums fingers impatiently].
    Addall.com...wow! Thanks! I wish I'd known about this sooner.

Wherever the next mediation is. Every now and then I make it back to Norfolk, England.

All

I too have ordered the book. It might even arrive.

I don't entirely know what I think about Jukai.

My first thought is: Yes please! I've been practising for two and a half years now, and feel more "at home" in Soto Zen, and here at Treeleaf (even if I don't often post - but that's just because someone usually says what I would have said before I get round to it!) than I've ever felt, and now would be a great time to take the precepts.

My next thought is: There I go again. Grasping at some new or ceremony or "badge" to wear to give me a new identity. Let it go.

The thought after that is: There I go again. Grasping at some new or ceremony or "badge" to refuse to wear to give me a new identity. Let it go.

The thought after that is: perhaps I should just bang my head against a wall until I stop having thoughts.

Anyway, I'll join you all (If you'll have me, Jundo) and see where it takes me / us.

Gassho

Martin

i don't know, i think it might clash with my mohawk

It's on it's way, via inter library loan. My tax dollars at work!

I've ordered the book from Barnes & Noble--the store is walking distance from work, so I can pick it up at lunch. First time they've required prepayment for a book order--not sure why that is in this case. Maybe to be sure I'm serious about reading it! :P

now would be a great time to take the precepts. - Martin

Yes, good timing for me too. Hopefully I'll stick with it

I received my book today. Can't wait to start reading it!

Gassho, Chris

Alibris screwed up my order. :evil: So. Re-order somewhere else. :cry:

I clicked on Jundo's link,ordered from the first link on it (textbooks something or other) and have it in my hands now for under $11.00 shipping included. So I guess thanks Jundo! Look forward to participating in the book club now! I will have to eventually read opening the hand of thought though it seems to good to miss.

Gassho,
    Damian

Um, what is it you object to about "Big Mind"?

gassho,
    rowan

Big Mind is still gonna get it, though.[/quote]

Thanks for the well-needed LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Martin
    All

I too have ordered the book. It might even arrive.

I don't entirely know what I think about Jukai.

My first thought is: Yes please! I've been practising for two and a half years now, and feel more "at home" in Soto Zen, and here at Treeleaf (even if I don't often post - but that's just because someone usually says what I would have said before I get round to it!) than I've ever felt, and now would be a great time to take the precepts.

My next thought is: There I go again. Grasping at some new or ceremony or "badge" to wear to give me a new identity. Let it go.

The thought after that is: There I go again. Grasping at some new or ceremony or "badge" to refuse to wear to give me a new identity. Let it go.

The thought after that is: perhaps I should just bang my head against a wall until I stop having thoughts.

Anyway, I'll join you all (If you'll have me, Jundo) and see where it takes me / us.

Gassho

Martin

MIne should be here next week. Aitken in one of myh favs, although I''ve only read Morning Star. I ordered Clover along with Big Mind, Big Heart, so I can make up my mind, a bit anyway, about that. But first will come Clover.

My copy arrived sometime while i was away and i picked it up yesterday

Mine came in last week. Ready for action.

My copy has arrived, as well. Vrooom Vrooom....

Gassho,
    Keith

As my man Lil Jon likes to say

YEAAAAAAAH!
    [

Got my copy today! :mrgreen: :lol:

Got mine, $5.75 from half price books! :mrgreen:

mine is here
    had to order from abroad, no copies in israel.

Just ordered

It'll be the first time I've joined in the book club, great

Kev

Got the book Got to read

Hi,

My copy has arrived as well, all the way from the USA. Ready to roll.

Gassho
    Ken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast