Thread: The Commentary

The Commentary

You ever meet one of those people who just won't shut up. I mean they just keep talking and talking and you usually make some sort of excuse like "OH! Would, you, look at the time. Gotta go." or " Hey!" (wave at no one in particular and walk away.) Whatever works for you.

Well it seems that we actually have that guy hanging out with us ALL THE TIME. We can't shake him. He's tricky. We duck behind something, but there he is waiting with a big "HEY. YOU EVER....BLAH BLAH BLAH." Can't get rid of him. So what you going to do? Ignore him? Well, that takes a bit of effort. I mean he's bugging you every few minutes with some useless talk about "such and such said this" or "I should buy a new ultra maximum metallic watch holder."

uh!

So what you gonna to do? I mean you can't shake him (Trust me on that). He just WON'T go away. I guess we just have to sit with him and let him talk, talk, talk.

Hey...
    Look at the blue in that reflection.
    The air conditioner goes "woooo".
    The chair goes creak.
    And the neighbours upstairs go thump.
    Slight breeze sticky summer night.
    Yellow light on...

What?

Oh. I sorry I forgot about you for a second. What were you saying?

------
    Gassho Will

Re: The Commentary

:lol: well spoken!
    Gassho, Ann

Hi Will,

That sounds like my next door neighbor!

I am very shy and never know what to do when I meet people like that, mostly because it feels like I'm being deceitful to pretend I'm finding the topic interesting. I'll have to try that next time!

Gassho,
    Scott

btw Scott. Just to add. That was about the commentary that usually runs on all the time thorughout the day and when sitting.

Gassho Will

:lol:

Mine's a middle-aged lady. She constantly worries about EVERYTHING. Especially, grants, grants, grants. Enough with the grants already. And if she's not worrying about that, she's blah, blah, blahing about zazen. Am I doing it right? Why do I think so much? Should I be spending more time with Libby and Gary instead of this zazen? Does incense really have that many carcinogens??? Figures, since it smells so good. Just like brownies taste so good because they're fattening. Blah, blah, blah...... :shock:

Hey Will,

I must admit I didn't think of that, but you are quite right.

Gassho,
    Scott

Mine's a middle-aged lady. She constantly worries about EVERYTHING. Especially, grants, grants, grants. Enough with the grants already. And if she's not worrying about that, she's blah, blah, blahing about zazen. Am I doing it right? Why do I think so much? Should I be spending more time with Libby and Gary instead of this zazen? Does incense really have that many carcinogens??? Figures, since it smells so good. Just like brownies taste so good because they're fattening. Blah, blah, blah......
    LOL LOL

W

I sometimes have a crowd. It's impressive how differently I can hear what other people mean. :roll:

Quote Originally Posted by plankton
    I sometimes have a crowd.

The fine subtle line between the Monkey Mind and clinical schizophrenia!
    Its easy to self diagnose, though. The Monkey Mind will crave for you to have a banana.... but if the banana then commands you to wear tin foil undershorts.... that might mean you need help...

8) gassho,
    Xander

I haven't read any of Brad Warner's books yet (I will someday soon), but I did read an excerpt of his in Tricycle a while back that said the commentary is not the problem; the problem is getting into a conversation with the commentary. I have found this to be Very helpful in my practice. Let the commentator (old lady, neighbor, etc.) go, just like letting everything else go.

Applying this idea to the monkey telling you to wear tinfoil shorts. That might not be a problem. What is a problem is if you get into a conversation with that monkey about wearing those tinfoil shorts.

Stephanie

Mine's kind of like, "Why do things SUCK so much? Why can't people do the simple things that would make this world better for everyone? Why is life so mundane and trivial? Why--ooh, shiny!!!"

Mine's kind of like, "Why do things SUCK so much?
    LOL

Gassho