Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GREETINGS BY NEW FOLKS (JULY)

GREETINGS BY NEW FOLKS (JULY)

Hello, New People to the Treeleaf Sangha,

Please post a little introduction here. Welcome and make yourself at home!

Gassho, Jundo

Re: GREETINGS BY NEW FOLKS (JULY)

howdy -thanks so much for this effort -- after 35 yrs of mostly sitting w/o sangha, due to the remoteness of my locales, i am totally blown away by this service -- getting to centers has become even more difficult with the rising fuel prices, and i love not driving -- i am in the middle of another "self-retreat" when i did a search and got treeleaf -- outside this retreat, i sit daily, at least once, 45minutes, but, without sangha since '81

my first teacher, was dhiravamsa, about 1976 -- taught a very minmalistic theravada -- but he was a very westernized former thai monk, also a psychotherapist, not "religious" -- did several 2-week retreats, very intense, he was, all day long, 5am - midnite, even without sleep -- my later retreats, at ims, have been gentler since then -- but the first one with dhira changed me forever(though i admit psychedelics began that process) -- basically, i'll sit with anyone, although don't care much for "guided(speaking)" meditation -- since retiring 5 yrs ago, i've been able to do a few 10 day sits at ims, and a 2 month retreat at ims's forest refuge -- i go there because they let me do a work retreat(limited funds since retirement), and leave me alone -- note: for anyone near to massachusetts, forest refuge is a tremendous resource for those of limited funds, they always need work retreatants -- very nice setting, mostly empty, sad to say --anyway, also a weekend at rochester, ny zen center, and some stuff with namgyal monastery(ithaca, ny where i sometimes am) -also consider my daily running/biking part of my practice - "buddhist" authors: charlotte beck, steve hagen, jon kabat-zin, brad warner, suzuki......

60, psychotherapist, community organizer, punk rock guitarist(at 43),child protective services worker, mechanic, amateur archeologist, sailor -- married several times, 3 kids(12,29, 38), only got to raise one(looking back, should have hired a surrogate -- i love being a dad, would have loved being a "househusband", but my role was to make $) - my wife and i live in cape vincent, ny, on canadian border -- also in ithaca, ny(my 12 yr old), and winter in why, arizona(yes, "why", surrounded by 200 miles of "nothing" in all directions, living on solar)

ok enough blah-blah-blah -- its like throwing up

bob

Hey Bob,

Thanks for throwing up. Such experience! Welcome to Treeleaf!

Gassho,
    Keith

Hey Bob. Welcome to Treeleaf.

Gassho Will

right back at ya

gassho bob

Hi Bob,

I spend time in Ithaca, too. And also studied Tibetan Buddhism for a while. Glad to see you here!

Gassho,

Linda

Blog Entries

Bob,
    Welcome to Treeleaf!

Gassho,
    Alex

Hey Bob,

Welcome! Although, really I'm a newbie myself too. I'm not too far from your neck of the woods living in Rochester and having grown up in the Adirondacks.

Gassho,
    Scott

Hi, Bob,

Good to have you here.

Many Blessings,
    lora

I am not really new. I am more like re-new. I don't remember how I introduced myself last time, so I'll just start over.

I started coming here back in March but then got distracted trying to finish my dissertation (the unattainable thus attained!) and am just now catching up on all the forum readings. I have been doing the daily Jundo talks, however, so I wasn't completely uninvolved.

I live in deep east texas. This is not the bible belt, they tell me; it is the belt buckle for the bible belt (is this a koan?). The nearest zen center is about an hour away, and I know of no other Buddhists in town, but they gotta be somewhere, right? Being buddhist here is a bit of an oddity. My friend that practices hinduism likes to tell people she knows a buddhist, which they respond to by going, "Ahhh, cool!"

I've been practicing on my own for four years now, and that's been good, as I haven't gone crazy and feel I have made some sort of progress. But now it's (past) time to get with a sangha and a teacher so that I can get more serious about Zen.

I see I need to better fill out my profile, so I'll put more about me in there.

AL

Stephanie

You a Roky fan, roky?

Hi & welcome to all new folks.

welcome al -- kind of partial to that name, cause was my dad's -- i used to loop around texas on my way cross country, was so paranoid about the cops -- finally decided it was silly,so drove straight thru -- spent a couple hours being interrogated by some state cop who looked, to me, about 13 -- all the while had tabs of acid in my back pocket -- i was sweatin'

but then the home of roky erickson and the 13th floor elevators can't be all bad -- and the bushes are actually from maine

thanks all for my welcome -- linda, i used to live by lucifer falls, upper treman, worked for the domestic violence program, played at the haunt in a band called"one animal" --"we are all one animal", no? -- unfortunately, my 12 yr old is still down there, so i "lived" on a sailboat at treman marina, near cass park, til this year

scott - my daughters granddad was director of the art museum in rochester -- i went to college in potsdam,at clarkson college, often hiked mt. ampersand in adirondacks -- now live "where lake and river meet", cape vincent, on real st(really), named after count real, who built the house that napolean was supposed to live in here when they sprung him from jail -- if he had lived

stephanie - is there any other roky? -- was in the music store in potsdam ny in 1966 -- 2 new albums, one a band called the grateful dead, and the other, 13th floor elevators -- i bought the elevators album, have never regretted it -- but i'm used to no one knowing who he is, if you do, you're the first -- also kind of partial to roky cause i worked in "mental health", and he was hospitalized in a hospital for the criminally insane for some years -- more folks are aware of him now due to the documentary

gassho, bob

Hello all,

Pardon me if a ramble...I tend to get nervous in large groups of people . I am new to Treeleaf and new to Buddhism but I'm so excited to be in the here and now. I have been sitting "in silence" with you all for the last 3 months and have decided it was time to join the group.

My name is Kelly Rokosky, not to be confused with fellow newcomer, Mr. Roky - hello to you sir. I am 32, I currently live in very rural West Virginia, and I'm a housewife/stay-at-home mom of two active boys. My past jobs have included: secretary in a Federal prison (boy, did I need Zen then) and a writer for a few different training and development companies.

I've spent most of my life trying to "fit in" somewhere without much luck. For the past 10 years, I've been on a spiritual journey, so to speak. I grew up in a devout Catholic family, never truly accepting their teachings. After much soul searching and research (I love to read and learn), I finally, feel like I have found my home here...in Buddhism, in my own skin, and with you all. West Virginia is primarily a Christian state, and the closest Sangha (Korean Zen) is approximately an hour from me. Because of the cost and my duties to my family, traveling that distance isn't an option for me at this time. I was so happy to have found Treeleaf with so many experienced people to boot.

I've been sitting zazen everyday and I look forward to Jundo's blog and your posts. I read them daily and have already learned so much. So, now that I have "come out", I will be happy to start posting and feeling connected to a wonderful new community.

Gassho,
    Kelly

Welcome to Bob, Kelly and AlanLa, good to have you with us. Gassho Kent

welcome, kelly-- you picked a good place to start -- over the years i was offered many "shortcuts to enlightenment" - boy, am i glad i didn't take those paths

gassho, bob

Welcome to Treeleaf Al and Kelly! Good to have you here.

Gassho,
    Keith

Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by roky
    stephanie - is there any other roky? -- was in the music store in potsdam ny in 1966 -- 2 new albums, one a band called the grateful dead, and the other, 13th floor elevators -- i bought the elevators album, have never regretted it -- but i'm used to no one knowing who he is, if you do, you're the first -- also kind of partial to roky cause i worked in "mental health", and he was hospitalized in a hospital for the criminally insane for some years -- more folks are aware of him now due to the documentary
    Awesome, Bob. Yeah, I know Roky. Learned about him through my love for the Butthole Surfers, for whom his 13th Floor Elevators and solo material was a big influence. I'm no Dead expert (or fan, really), but I believe that despite their lesser fame, the 13th Floor Elevators may have ultimately had the bigger impact on rock music... psychedelia, punk, you name it... they were innovators.

And my favorite Brad Warner article is still the one he titled after a Roky song ("I Think of Demons").

So yay, we make each other's cool-hipster-namecheck, music-only-cool-people-know-about lists :wink:

And I've worked in mental health too... also know a little of Roky's troubles, but haven't seen the documentary about him (honestly I don't even think I was aware one existed).

welcome welcome

stephanie - damn, i cheated and read this before starting todays sit, so better get it out of my head now

so check out the film "you're gonna miss me" - great stuff

yeah, i even dedicated my senior thesis to roky, back in 1969 -- was titled "house", and the title page had the quote "slip inside this house as you pass by" -- roky erickson "-- (looks like i beat out brad warner by a few years! -- at least in the "literary reference to obscure rock legends" department)

i'll send the rest in a pm

gassho, bob

hi everyone. first of all thank you so much for having me. i am 23 years old and i live in south-east georgia, usa. there are no sanghas that i know of in my area and my current situation prevents me from moving at the time. i have been studying buddhism for about three years now and it has enriched my life immensely. I am currently in college studying nursing, radiology and psychology. so thank you for having me again. i look forward to chatting with you all.

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Treeleaf!

Gassho,
    Keith

Thanks Keith, nice to meet you!

Welcome Chris!

Hi, Welcome all the new folks.

Nice to meet you all here.

Gassho, Shui Di

Hello all,

Thank you for the warm welcome Bob, Keith, Kent and Shui Di. It is a pleasure to be here. Hello Al, congratulations on completing your dissertation! I bet there is a tremendous sense of peace in the completion of it.

Welcome Chris, it is very nice to meet you. I hope you find comfort here. I know I have already...it's nice to finally feel connected to a group with so much experience.

Gassho,
    Kelly

Hi, everyone,

Welcome to Treeleaf!

Many blessings,
    lora

iain

Hello, everyone, my name is Iain.

Some difficult events this year that have made me think a lot about the way I think about, understand and accept the world, and how I act within it. I don't have monkey mind, I have a whole troupe of howler monkeys hooting and leaping about the undergrowth throwing nuts at one another.

This thinking has led me through a lot of places to Soto Zen, and to Treeleaf. It's time now for me to learn for myself whether this is a path I want to follow, and if so, to take the first steps. So I am here, something of an enquirer, and everything is very new. Even if at the end of it all I decide that Soto Zen is not the way for me, I think I will learn a lot.

I live in the north-east of England, near the sea. I spend my time with my family, writing fiction, trying to relearn the guitar after too many years of not playing (painful) following my local football team (often ditto). When I am not doing that, I work at a local university (sometimes ditto).

I look forward to talking to you all,

Gassho,

Iain

Hi Iain,

Welcome to Treeleaf! I'm sure you'll learn a lot here.

Gassho,
    Keith

Greetings to all the other new people, all the way from FInland.

I am impressed by the honesty and depth of conversation on this forum, and feel I have gained a lot & restored my belief in human beings during the few weeks I have been a member.

Welcome everyone!!! This is a great place.

(Thanks for the links Stephanie.)

Ron

Belated welcomes to Bob, Al, Kelly, Chris, Lain, and Paivi (I don't think I welcomed you last month).
    I hope to get to know you all through the forum here. Nice place I think.

Gassho,
    Bill

Hello everyone!

I'm excited to be a new member of Treeleaf Zendo. I've practiced zazen informally for about 8 years off and on. Two years ago I started training in Aikido which has greatly increased my motivation for zazen as the two arts (would it be appropriate to call zazen an "art"?) are very complimentary.

I look forward to good interactions with you guys, and if there are any fellow Aikidoka out there, I would especially love to discuss the relationship with zen and Aikido or martial ways in general.

Happy sitting.

Todd.

Hi Mushin,

My wife, Mina, is an Aikidoka ... She is the one on the left.

Although Aikido was more closely connected to Shinto through its founder, Ueshiba O-sensei, we often compare notes. I like to think of Aikido as moving Zazen, and Zazen as sitting Aikido. Aikido is a martial art, but as much, a way of peace, balance and harmony.

Who is the true opponent??

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo

Steven Seagal?

Black belt Aikido and a Tulku!

One's own mind...

Yes, the founder did study Shinto, and it seems generally compatible (though I'm not that familiar with it) but many practitioners -- following Aikido's roots in Japanese/samurai arts -- take to zen practice as well. Refining and unifying the mind, body, and spirit, seeing things as they actually are, recieving the world around you with open arms (not oppossing), culminating in the "art of daily living."

Thanks for the replys guys, this is fun.

Welcome to Treeleaf, Todd.

Gassho,
    Keith

Hi Mushin, welcome to Treeleaf. Nice to see there is another from Reno! Gassho Kent

chris, iain, mushin, welcome -- i hope you will find that treeleaf is a great help in keeping a foot on the path, whatever that path may be

steph, thanks for the excellent choice in reference to roky erikson's work -- you picked a few of my favorites

gassho, bob

Welcome to Treeleaf Todd!

I became interested in Aikido shortly after I began learning about Zen and although I knew they did not have a direct relationship they did seem compatible to me. I actually joined an Aikido class locally and was very excited to learn about it since I consider myself a pacifist, but when I got there the teacher was about the most arrogant and ego maniacal person I had ever met. Didn't seem very compatible there, but I'm hopeful that was just his view of Aikido and that I'll get another opportunity to learn about it in the future.

Regardless, I'll be interested to hear your perspective on the forum.

Gassho,
    Scott

Welcome everyone! Glad to see all of you here!

Gassho,
    Damian

Blog Entries

Welcome to our July newcomers! I am really enjoying this thread... this really is a supportive, warm community and the quality of this conversation demonstrates the immediate contribution we all can make to the sangha... whether we have been here a day or a year... I value and appreciate your perspectives.... Thank you and welcome!

Gassho,
    Alex

Hi,

Lovely to be here. I suppose I should post some possibly relevent info? On the soto - rinzai orientation spectrum, I identify as White Plum which is the association of Maezumi Roshi's dharma heirs (they identify as Soto but also do koan study/zazen). Unfortunately I am 500 miles in any direction from a White Plum teacher, so I am rather on my own (but determined if slow). I have been sitting on and off for 8 years or so, spent several years practicing at a wonderful Kwan Um zen center in Berkeley California. Now I drop in at a lovely zen retreat center in the Santa Cruz mountains (they have 13 acres) called Jikoji, lovely people (founded by Kobun Roshi). I am so excited about Treeleaf and have told everybody about it, such a wonderful international community. I am currently reading Nishiyama's complete translation of the Shobogenzo (but it only has 94 chapters, I was sure there were/are 95 chapters, any info?), Cleary's the Book of Serenity, and Appreciate Your Life by Maezumi (nice teishos on Dogen's words).

Otherwise, I watch/listen to the BBC radio/tv, ballet, service sewing machines for charity, and have a general interest in "the arts". I pay the rent by doing bookkeeping and live in a wonderful condo with a housemate (having a washer/dryer in the bathroom is SUCH a luxury), I get the big bedroom with my own bathroom and feel quite fortunate.

Treeleaf has definitely had an encouraging effect to get my butt on the cushion!

Anyway, much gratitude to all of you!

with palms together,
    more and more, less and less,
    rowan

Blog Entries

Rowan,
    Welcome to Treeleaf!

Gassho,
    Alex

Hi Rowan,

Welcome to Treeleaf!

Gassho,
    Keith

Hi Rowan,

Welcome! Glad the community is inspiring you to just sit...as it does for me.

Gassho,
    Scott

Hello all. I am in my mid-30's and live smack dab in the middle of Canada (longitudinally speaking, anyway). I have been practicing zazen off and on (okay, to be totally honest, waaay more off than on) for a few years now.

I live in a town with one informal zen group, and to be honest the reception I got from them when I inquired about their zendo was a little cold. Fortunately, I stumbled across your little corner of the Interweb, and look forward to getting some much needed pants-kicking from the community to sit down and shut up.

I'm a computer technician by trade, though I'm considering branching out into some other areas. I did spend a couple of years as a short-haul truck driver, but the lifestyle didn't work out. I have been married to the same great woman for 10 years, and we have a beautiful daughter together.

Not sure what else to say, except thanks for having me.

Gassho

Hi Again to Everybody, New and Old Alike ("new" and "old" are "alike") ...

Might I request to everyone at Treeleaf that will put photos of ourselves (the photographable self) in the 'avatar' space? Or, at least, for those who wish privacy, some human face that generally resembles ourselves? And I do not mean our inner self or abstract self or 'no self' self or 'everything is the' self. Just a photo of what you look like in this world.

One thing we cannot do here at Treeleaf is look each other in the eyes all the time. A photo would be a step in that direction. Faces help get a feeling of community, I think.

Gassho, Jundo

Hey Wu Wei,

Welcome to Treeleaf! I'm sure you'll get a much warmer reception here.

Gassho,
    Keith

welcome (invisible)rowan, and wu-wei

gassho, bob

Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello Hello