Thread: Free timer software

Free timer software

Hi all,
    Thought I would post a link for the Apple users here at Treeleaf. It is a simple, free meditation timer program that works pretty well.

http://wcrawford.org/2006/11/09/meditation-timer-12/

Bill

Re: Free timer software

That raises a question - should one use a timer? I mean, should, when I sit, I only sit for a set time, or should I, if I can, sit longer? I don't time myself, though I check the clock before and after out of curiosity (because time does weird things when sitting), and I sit as long as I can - sometimes short, sometimes long.

Kirk

mmm... I use a timer (cheap watch alarm) when I sit. Sometimes not. I sat outside today on the mountain right beside my apartment (sunshine, and t- shirt).

G,W

Quote Originally Posted by kirkmc
    That raises a question - should one use a timer? I mean, should, when I sit, I only sit for a set time, or should I, if I can, sit longer? I don't time myself, though I check the clock before and after out of curiosity (because time does weird things when sitting), and I sit as long as I can - sometimes short, sometimes long.

Kirk
    I would use a timer because, when one is throwing oneself into a Practice in which ideas of "long" and "short" are dropped, and time becomes fluid ... timeless ... well, one has a tendency to lose track! Now, that is fine once in awhile, but not practical day to day. Even in monasteries of old, the traditional timer was the time it took the incense to burn down (now, they use a wristwatch). There are things to do, and meals to be served on time, even in a Zen monastery!!

On the other hand, I enjoy sometimes just to sit as long as it lasts, and I once went 6 hours in the blink of an eye (could not walk for days though) ... I just came from a Vietnamese temple in which we sat for periods of 2 or 3 hours before getting up, and I swear it seemed like no more than an hour. It was a great experience.

By the way, the great advantage of our treeleaf timer, over others I think ... Ours is Mp3 ready, perfect to take with you in a iPod.

Anyway, time to go.

Gassho, J

OK, so how long? 20 minutes, which, if I recall correctly, Sogyal Rinpoche calls "Western standard Buddhist time"? 30 min? Something in between?

Kirk

Normally I sit 30 minutes. That's usual I think. Sometimes 45 or 50 minutes.

G,W

An apparent drawback of all timers is that towards the end of the sitting period they can make a reluctant sitter wait for the signal instead of dropping body and mind and stuff. In a computerized timer I'd appreciate a feature that randomly shortens or extends the time by 5 minutes or so like some doshi do in the zendo. Don't know of any such timer though.

BTW: For Macs, there is also that well-known Meditation Timer widget:
    http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboar ... idget.html

Gassho,
    Mensch

our mp3 timer is perfect for my uses!
    but the techno geek in me wants to try out anything like that! :idea:

Quote Originally Posted by Mensch
    An apparent drawback of all timers is that towards the end of the sitting period they can make a reluctant sitter wait for the signal instead of dropping body and mind and stuff. In a computerized timer I'd appreciate a feature that randomly shortens or extends the time by 5 minutes or so like some doshi do in the zendo. Don't know of any such timer though.
    That's exactly why I don't use a timer. When I tried, I kept having thoughts creep into my mind, "when's that thing going to ring?"

Kirk

An apparent drawback of all timers is that towards the end of the sitting period they can make a reluctant sitter wait for the signal
    Yeah that happens. You can always set it for longer say 50 minutes.

G,W

Hi,

I recommend at least one daily sitting of 25 to 40 minutes (even 45 minutes, though 30 seems practical). Before bed or in the morning is perhaps best, but any time is good. Two daily (2) sittings is recommended, but (like a diet plan) one can also substitute for one (1) sitting a series of Jundo's patented "Insta-Zazen Insta-Sittings" © during the day (description below).

Worrying about "when is the bell going to ring?" is just one more thought to let go, a passing cloud.

Gassho, Jundo

Hi,

I would also like to encourage everybody to try Jundo's Patented Insta-Zazen "Insta-Sittings" © throughout each day. You don't even have to "sit" for these "sittings", but can sit while standing, lying down, jumping on the bed or hanging by one's feet. "Insta-Sittings" © can be of any length, starting from but a moment until infinite time (which may be the same!). We "Insta-Sit" © at times in our day when just a bit of "Zen Mind"© will change our perspective on all things, when a touch of balance will bring life into balance ...

Just standing in a creeping postal line, in the dentist's chair, when the car won't start on a cold morning, when driving and stuck in traffic, when the computer crashes, wherever and whenever ... just do what you do in Zazen, with the Lotus Position fully optional (it tends to get in the way while driving or having a root canal, although it might work in the postal line if you keep pushing along.).

This is actually not such a radical departure from "traditional" practice. Life in a Zen monastery, for example, is filled with countless opportunities to bring the "Way of Non-Seeking" tasted on the cushion into daily activities ... what's the difference between the "Dokusan" line and the postal line? Even monks need the dentist. If dropping the incense during the big ceremony at the temple, or dropping the water glass at dinner, just pick it up! Each place is a place for Practice. In fact, if what we do on the cushion stays on the cushion, what's the point??

So, please try Jundo's Patented "Insta-Sittings" © throughout your day. In fact, for a limited time only, three (3) "Insta-Sittings" © can subsitute for one (1) traditional sitting (if sitting 2 or more traditional sittings each day).

If you would like to read more on folks' ideas for Insta-Sittings© , have a looky here ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/forum/viewtopic ... 9765#p9765

Gassho, Jundo

Wow, I didn't realize I was infringing upon a patent when I was bored at work with nothing to do!
    (Exit Door Monitor is the most dull job to do as an Airport Security Officer)

When i sit sometimes i use a timer.
    But i have found that when i sit without timer i always sit about 27 minutes, after that i get "ants in my pants" and slide into my "normal meditative state".

May the force be with you
    Tb