Thread: Sit-a-Long with Jundo in Vietnam

Sit-a-Long with Jundo in Vietnam

Hey Guys,

Because of an unfortunate small delay in filing some papers at the Tokyo immigration bureau for my Japanese "Green Card" residency, it turns out that I must leave Japan for a few days because my present visa is about to expire ... Oh well. My wife SWEARS that this is not a trick by her to get me out of the country so she can be rid of me. :cry: Theoretically, I can come back into Japan after stepping out for a few days ... and, theoretically, I will still have a home and family to come back to. :shock:

Anyway, I stumbled on a US $400 round trip plan ticket to Ho Chi Minh City, so I will be heading to Vietnam on Saturday. It seems like a good place to spend my exile. I will be there 10 days (I would really love to spend a month, but ... 10 days is more than enough), and travel a bit in the South of that country. I have been to Thailand and Laos (and used to live in China), but never Vietnam, so I am looking forward to it. I have made arrangements to try some of the local Zazen too.

My only concern is that internet could be very spotty, or non-existent, many days. For example, I am going to try to do the monthly 4 HOUR Zazenkai this coming Saturday at the normal time ... but I have no idea if I will have an internet connection that will support it. If I do not "show up" at the appointed hour, please understand. The same for other sittings and such ... and I plan to continue doing the daily sittings one way or another, even if a little early or late, or in "non-visual" form.

It will be great if I can get the video working and take the whole Sangha along on this trip.

Gassho, Jundo

Re: Sit-a-Long with Jundo in Vietnam

Holy cow! Good luck, Jundo. I hope you get that straightened out. :shock:

From an engaged buddhist pov, you can use this time to think and meditate about all immigrants that have to go through this and be separated from loved ones. This is part of the life experience for us in the US-Mexico border.

Best of luck. Namaste.

I have made arrangements to try some of the local Zazen too.
    Are you going to be visiting at a monastery there or other?

G,W

Safe travels, Jundo.

Gassho,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by chicanobudista
    From an engaged buddhist pov, you can use this time to think and meditate about all immigrants that have to go through this and be separated from loved ones. This is part of the life experience for us in the US-Mexico border.

Best of luck. Namaste.
    Yes, no doubt I have it easy ... not a laughing matter. Back in Florida, among Haitian friends, you hear stories of harrowing boat rides at the hands of smugglers, or incredible hassles even for immigrants who went through legal channels. One visit to the immigration office here in Japan makes it clear that one receives a very different treatment based on factors such as education and country of origin. The Japanese immigration makes no bones about breaking up families all the time, same for the US immigration I know. The immigration side of globalization makes for many hardships and is certainly not fair.

Will, yes I am planning some monastery visits for Zazen and such.

Gassho, Jundo

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    The Japanese immigration makes no bones about breaking up families all the time, same for the US immigration I know. The immigration side of globalization makes for many hardships and is certainly not fair.
    I hope the best for you and your family. Namaste.

HI Jundo...

I hope you will enjoy your trip in Vietnam....

and don't forget to share your experience about the zen monastery over there....

Wish you luck....

Gassho, Shui Di

Have a safe trip, Jundo!

Looking forward to hearing about it.

Gassho, Tony

Good luck, Jundo!

If not for this visa-thing who knows when you would take the chance to go to Vietnam. And now you HAVE to. :-)

It is not quite around the corner but you are always welcome to stop by Sweden although not necessarily in exhile. Look forward to hearing about your trip and zazern in Vietnam.

Gassho,

Irina

enjoy your trip Jundo.
    may your zazen be enjoyable and profound.

Gassho.

Hi Jundo,

Have a great/safe trip :!: Under the assumption that you'll have internet access, I look forward to our Treeleaf 'school trip' to Vietnam - yippee! :lol:

Gassho
    Ken

kshetra

Hi Jundo, I'm hoping you will have a very good trip there. It is a beautiful place as I am sure you know.

I/we are looking forward to whatever you wish to share when you return.

Safe journey,

Kshetra

Have a safe trip.

Ron

Have a safe trip Jundo. I've been to south Vietnam and it was a beautiful country regardless of the circumstances. Gassho Kent

Wherever the next mediation is. Every now and then I make it back to Norfolk, England.

Enjoy your trip, Jundo, and a safe (and immigration hassle free) return.

Gassho

Martin

have a safe and enjoyable journey.

this might sound stupid, but my friend (who is not asian and thus sticks out like a sore thumb when travelling in vietnam) said that she would never wear a bagt or sunglasses in vietnam again. Both items were stolen and she went psycho trrying to chase the guys on a scooter who did. Thinking back she reckoned her actions were not wise and it is better to let them steal it rather than get in trouble.

So.....be cautious.

Mettha.

Aswini.

Yugen

Jundo,
    Safe travels and I hope your immigration issues are successfully resolved upon your return. I appreciate the "school trip" and travelogue perspective, but I would also like to recognize the uncertainty (and potential anxiety) as a husband and parent you face (and have mentioned - in as positive a context as possible - this is the real acid test to view these events and uncertainties as "scenery" in one's life) as you interact with the immigration authorities and embark upon a separation from your dear ones. You'll be in our thoughts. The immigration process is difficult and frustrating at best around the world.

You mentioned that the immigration authorities treat people variously according to nationality and education. How were you treated based upon several variables - American national, professionally educated (attorney), translator, Zen student and teacher, married to a Japanese national? Are there some variables that are more "credible" (do you leave out the "Zen" part and emphasize your professional qualifications or vice versa) than others in the immigration / residency visa process?

Safe travels and Gassho,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by alex

You mentioned that the immigration authorities treat people variously according to nationality and education. How were you treated based upon several variables - American national, professionally educated (attorney), translator, Zen student and teacher, married to a Japanese national? Are there some variables that are more "credible" (do you leave out the "Zen" part and emphasize your professional qualifications or vice versa) than others in the immigration / residency visa process?

Safe travels and Gassho,
    Alex
    Oh, I get the red carpet treatment compared to, for example, the average unskilled or semi-skilled worker from Brazil or China. In fact, I have to leave this time for a procedural technicality, and could fly to somewhere, turn around the same day and come right back in. Please don't think I am suffering in any of this ... it has turned into an excuse for a vacation in Vietnam.

Gassho, Jundo

I would also like to say that if you ever need to sort out paperwork again, feel free to pop over to Sunny Southern Spain I am sure we can make room and there is the lovely tapas

Jundo,

Safe travels!

--Charles

phillybuddha

Jundo,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Still, every day is a new opportunity so please enjoy your trip and let us know how it goes.

Mike
    PhillyBuddha