Thread: zen and the art of not drowning

zen and the art of not drowning

Phew

Just had a scary experience and zen one all at he same time.

Thought I'd try out my fishing sit on top kayak tonight in the surf near to shore to sea how it would be in rough seas and re-entry's etc. No mates were about to go with but I thought I'd be fine. A sensible thing to get the experience, but not on your own even close to shore ops:

Anyway it was great going out, surf was 4-5foot and no problem, got out past the breakers about 100yards and had a few rides back , back-paddled back out as the kayak is a ponderous beast to turn and didn't want to get broached out in breakers. That is until I thought sod it I should manage to turn it back into the surf in time, you guessed it I got dumped on by a biggie and the world began to swim and swirl :lol:

Came back up with the yak, turned it right side up but no way could I get back on in the surf. This is the North Sea by the way 7c at the moment, cold. But I had the right gear on.

Instead of panicing, all be came calm, I relaxed, I saw the sea, I saw the land, I saw the sun set and I felt it's power. In between trying various routes back onto the yak, which all failed, I managed to stay centred, hang on and kick for shore. It seemed as is time didn't matter but at the same time it really really did but all I had to do was keep on going. I noticed me getting closer. And eventually, know idea how long. I was on the shore. The shock kicked in and the non-zen part started dragging everything back to the van, home, shower and warm up. Now I hurt :lol:

Very scary but beautiful at the same time.

Oh, and I know it was stupid to practise these things on my own but then some times I am.

Re: zen and the art of not drowning

Hey Longdog

glad you are ok - that sounds like a really scary experience.

Be safe

Jools

Well done Kev, for getting back that is not the falling out bit
    It sounds like you dealt with all of it well. Just because your body was shaking with all that adrenalin and cold afterwards you still got home safely, got sorted and have taken it in a similar stride as the first instance.

All the best,

Philip

(that sounds bloody cold though, even if you had the right gear on. shudders)

That is a very very important experience in your life. For some it is a car accident or a medical emergency ... we look the fragility of life right in the eye ...

Just sit with it, allow it to be. You were hit by a big force that knocked you hard. You have recovered your balance with the experience. Know that it is possible that some of the effects may come days or even weeks later, when the "shock" wears off, and push you a bit off balance. That is the way the human brain is wired to deal with emergencies. Or, maybe that won't happen ... we are all wired a bit differently. Some folks just shrug it off.

Just let whatever emotions come from this be felt, and pass through you. Ride with the waves and the storm and find your balance again and again.

If it sounds like our Practice is much like kayaking itself ... yes it is, I think.

Making it to the distant shore ...

Gassho, Jundo

Thanks Jools n Jundo. Yeh some emotions still swirling around and some more swirling to come I'm sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog
    Instead of panicing, all be came calm, I relaxed, I saw the sea, I saw the land, I saw the sun set and I felt it's power. In between trying various routes back onto the yak, which all failed, I managed to stay centred, hang on and kick for shore. It seemed as is time didn't matter but at the same time it really really did but all I had to do was keep on going. I noticed me getting closer. :lol:
    Very scary but beautiful at the same time.
    Wow, a sublime experience! So glad you made it back safely.

Yugen

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    If it sounds like our Practice is much like kayaking itself ... yes it is, I think.

Making it to the distant shore ...
    And once we make it to the distant shore, we no longer have need of the vessel that conveyed us across and should leave it behind....

Odysseus and his men burned their boats on the beach when they landed on the shores of Troy, so as to remove the possibility of retreat and look only forward...

I am sure in the not-too-distant-future you will be back out there Longdog. Safe journeys.

Alex

Hey Longdog!

Gald it all ended well . It is a great experience albeit a scary one but this is the thing when one is actually there there is no fear as such just action, what has to be done, one thing after another. You did well . Keep warm!

Gassho,

Irina