Thread: SATURDAY Sit Along (plus Buddhist chat). Anyone interested?

SATURDAY Sit Along (plus Buddhist chat). Anyone interested?

Hi everyone,

Since Jundo cannot make it to this Saturday's sitting session maybe some of us who cannot make it on Monday could stil meet for a 30 min zazen sitting in the Zen hall the "usual" Saturday time (3 pm UTC)? Anyone interested?

Rumor has it there are interesting Buddhist discussions going on in the Second Life Sangha :wink: and we do have a Sangha of our own that has so much to offer. It would be great if some of you could stop by the Meeting hall AFTER the sitting and we could have a little live chat about practice and how it unfolds for you, get to know each other's "Buddhist histories". One thing that I look forward to hearing is your feedback on is what you think it means to be a Buddhist in our time and in our world, have you eve heard a comment "that's not very Buddhist of you"?
    Whatever you have, bring it there, it is just an imporvisational talk and requires no preparation. We will try to not keep it long and you can leave at any time, of course.

Tony and I will be there. Hope someone else will join us!

Gassho,

Irina

Just a reminder: don't forget to turn your mics off before getting into the Zen hall.

Re: SATURDAY Sit Along (plus Buddhist chat). Anyone interested?

Hi Irina
    sounds great - I will do my best to join you guys.
    Kind regards
    Jools

Great Jools!

Three is a team already! 8)

gassho,
    irina

I just re-installed Second Life.
    Where would the Sangha be located there?

Hi Guys
    good to sit with you this afternoon, but couldn't get a stable connection for the chat afterwards. Another time :-)
    Best wishes
    Jools

Great sitting and chatting with you all!

Don't worry, Jools. Even if you had it was horribly laggy and we didn't have a discussion at all. SO you really didn't miss too much.

Quote Originally Posted by FeMonky
    I just re-installed Second Life.
    Where would the Sangha be located there?
    Sorry, I wouldn't know, I don't use Second Life. Just heard the rumor :wink:

Gassho,

Irina

Great sitting with you guys! We almost had full house but the chat was very delayed :? for all of us and we gave up pretty soon after you left Jools.

Hopefully it will work better next time. See you there!

Gassho,

Irina

Yah, I hope so too. I like the idea of actually seeing the person I'm chatting with. eheh.
    Maybe I should get Skype too?

Well, the sitting part worked great! But, it was great seeing and hearing everyone. Here's to better luck in the future.

FeMonkey, the Second Life sangha Irina mentioned is called the Skeptical Buddhist Sangha. Don't have the coordinates for it. Just search for it under places.
    It meets twice on Sundays 1:00 and 6:00 pm (SLT).

Gassho, Tony

Excuse my ignorance, but what is the literal definition of "sangha"? I have a vague idea, and at the same time I have no idea.... hrm..... yet it is the same idea. :P
    But uh, hrm, I'll have to check that second life sangha or whatever it is called.
    Ah, so you're name is Tony, and that's Irina... yah, my text was like 1-2 mins behind, before it jsut stopped altogether. It was not cool. Though I could hear you and Irina fine, in between laggy moments.
    And now I know to turn my MIC off in that other vid area...the sitting hall? Yah. :wink:

A sangha is a group of people studying the dharma together. I guess it's pretty similar to a congregation.

Kirk

Ah! I had no idea... much clearer now.
    Thank you.
    And... I'm guessing it means "bye" or something, but what about this "gasho" or however it's spelled, that I sometimes see at the end of some of the members posts?

Alex (right?): I asked Jundo the same question (about "gassho") and he replied:

Gassho means "Pressed Palms", a bow with the hands like this ...

http://thirdeyetravel.com/nav01/Namaste%20girl.gif
    - Show quoted text -

Gassho,

Irina

PS I could not hear you at all! Skype is great but I don't think one can have a video session with a few participants, I am not sure though.

Hrm. I dunno. I thought you could just do it with 2 ppl, even. I don't know much about skype.
    Online right now, eh? I could hear you, but I don't know if it was teh connection or something else that made it so you couldn't hear me. i could also hear tony.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonGal
    Hi everyone,

Since Jundo cannot make it to this Saturday's sitting session maybe some of us who cannot make it on Monday could stil meet for a 30 min zazen sitting in the Zen hall the "usual" Saturday time (3 pm UTC)? Anyone interested?
    Maybe if the technology works a little better, we could add a chat session in the "meeting room" after the "live" Saturday sittings as a regular feature. Let's see.

Gassho, Jundo

I think I could handle text chats, but the internet is slow today. It's usually much much much faster, but since me and my roomie share a connection, that might be teh cause of it. I'm defragmenting my computer just in case, though, lol.