Thread: Enlightenment 3

Enlightenment 3

Hi Jundo, enjoying yours talks.

Just been reading a book in which the author distinguishes between re-incarnation and re-birth.

Re-incarnation being where a soul (or what ever) is actually re-born.

Re-birth being what she says Zen Buddhists accept where there is no transmigration of a soul (as there is none) but (in a similar way to your wave analogy) we are light bulbs pluged into a 'current' when we die our bulb goes out, but the current is still flowing, when there is a re-birth it is as if karma has plugged in a new bulb and the karma from the previous 'bulb' is still there to be resolved.

Mmm... not sure I explained that clearly but is it what you were saying? whilst at the same time saying that it is really of no immediate concern, it's what we are doing now we should concern ourselves with.

In gassho, Kev

Re: Enlightenment 3

I liked this From Rev Master Mugo's blog http://www.jademountains.net/ Think the last line is very apt.

A billionaire and a mechanic who meet in a hospital ward for terminally ill patients decide to make an escape and set out on one last trip to fulfill all of their dying wishes.

While the two men wait for news of their flight to Everest, climbing Everest was on their Bucket List, they are shown visiting a Buddhist monastery. It was all gloom, flickering lights and incense smoke. The Jack Nicholson character, ever the skeptic, ponders on the concept of karma and rebirth. I just don’t get it, he says. I mean, what does a slug have to do to get a good rebirth, leave a perfect slime trail? This is fairly typical of the popular view of karma and rebirth. And of Buddhist monasteries too! That view runs fairly much along the lines of, be good and you will be reborn into better circumstances. Lead a bad life and you’ll end up a short lived, squashed, fly. Truth is bigger, and more compassionate, than this.

I liked this film. It brought the subject of action (and that’s what karma translates as) into the realm of action, and out of the world of speculation and popular interpretations. There was reflection on past actions and the seeing into the unwisdom's of those actions. There were scenes depicting the struggle to see those actions for what they were and then scenes which looked at what that means, right now. In short the two men were brought to look at the consequences of their actions and come to an understanding and acceptance of their lives. Find joy in your life, were the dying mans words to the Jack Nicholson character. He could have said, Live life, forget the ideal of perfection, of leaving a perfect trail of slime behind you!

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog
    Re-birth being what she says Zen Buddhists accept where there is no transmigration of a soul (as there is none) but (in a similar way to your wave analogy) we are light bulbs pluged into a 'current' when we die our bulb goes out, but the current is still flowing, when there is a re-birth it is as if karma has plugged in a new bulb and the karma from the previous 'bulb' is still there to be resolved.
    Great metaphor, Kev,

Gassho,
    John

Hey Guys,

I really really really really really want to say a little on this and your other Thread Kev ... but I am on a train and traveling a bit today. I will eventually say something, in this life or next.

Gassho, Jundo

I'll be the slug,probably still, trying to make the perfect trail :wink: , just in case you miss me :lol: Don't squish me if I'm munching your garden :lol: