Thread: Intentions

Intentions

"Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die."
    Malachy McCourt

I sent this quote to some friends of mine via text message, simply because I liked it and wanted to share it. I expected to get some response in the form "hey - that's a cool quote!" but instead, I got these:

- One friend responded by calling me asking if I was okay, did I need help, was I planning suicide(?!?!)
    - Two asked why I was mad at him/her(?)
    - Another asked why I was bringing up the past and still holding a grudge against an ex-boss.

This moment taught me about intentions. My intention was simple: just sharing an interesting quote - nothing more. In the medium of text message though there were wild misinterpretation about intention of sending the quote.

How do avoid this? Especially in age that values one-line responses (sound bites) to complex problems -- can we effectively communicate intention without it getting lost in the text message? ops:

Re: Intentions

send a smiley or mention that you like the quote. You can't please all the people all the time.

Gassho Will

Quote Originally Posted by dharma84
    "Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die."
    Malachy McCourt

I sent this quote to some friends of mine via text message, simply because I liked it and wanted to share it. I expected to get some response in the form "hey - that's a cool quote!" but instead, I got these:

- One friend responded by calling me asking if I was okay, did I need help, was I planning suicide(?!?!)
    - Two asked why I was mad at him/her(?)
    - Another asked why I was bringing up the past and still holding a grudge against an ex-boss.

This moment taught me about intentions. My intention was simple: just sharing an interesting quote - nothing more. In the medium of text message though there were wild misinterpretation about intention of sending the quote.

How do avoid this? Especially in age that values one-line responses (sound bites) to complex problems -- can we effectively communicate intention without it getting lost in the text message? ops:
    Dear 84,

Is the meaning of your message that you are mad at Jundo for something I did? :cry: Why can't you forgive me?

(Just Kidding)

Besides demonstrating the minefield that is email and the internet, this event should teach a lot about how all of us (mis)perceive the world all the time, especially the realities (I think they are infinite) of a particular situation, reading the minds of others, and the like. It shows how our minds create reality so much by how we perceive that reality.

Good story. And good quote.

Gassho, Jundo

Thanks Will & Jundo.

I think this seemingly random experience taught me more then I expected it to