Thread: 'BIG' GUEST on 'SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO'

'BIG' GUEST on 'SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO'

We have a very special guest today sitting with us on the 'Sit-a-Long', a real GIANT !!

Please be sure not to miss him ...

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/04 ... zilla.html

(you will also see a side of Buddhism that may be a little different from what you are used to)

Gassho,

Re: 'BIG' GUEST on 'SIT-A-LONG with JUNDO'

Cool!

What were all the little golden Buddhas aligned on the walls supposed to represent?

Hi Tracy,

Well, this statue was created by the Japanese "Jodo" (Pure Land) Buddhist Sect, and that room represents the "World of the Lotus". According to their information, "Lotus Sanctuary" refers to the Pure Land:

"The area glittering in gold, surrounded by approximately 3300 small interior Buddhas, is filled with unearthly brilliance. Buddhas are infinite in number manifesting themselves in the 3000 worlds of ten directions. One can observe Buddhas presently manifesting for the salvation of Nembetsu followers

[Jundo Note]

Here is some more information on what the statue represents to "Pure Land" Buddhists (though written by some fellow with a bit of a sense of humor):

So, what are the other particularities of this Daibutsu apart from its height?

First, this is a standing Daibutsu. You will notice in your travels through Japan that most of them are in a seated position. Not this one.

Second, the right foot is slightly moving forward, which means Buddha is actively going to help people. Moreover, his feet actually do not touch the ground. The Buddha walks on a bed of lotus flowers which separate it from our impure world, the Gense????, and world of the living.

Third, the position of its hands have an important meaning. The left hand's palm, totally visible, refers to the helpful mind of Buddha????????? or Nenbutsu-Shujou-Sesshu-Fusha?, as if it was saying: "I will help you. I will show you the path to Heaven". So, for those who misunderstood this and thought it was asking for money, you were WRONG. The hand is not asking for anything, the hand is giving help. I wish it would give money though . . . there is a car I would like to buy. . . .

Jokes aside, the right hand is also very interesting and people familiar with the movie The Lord Of The Ring will surely find a stunning similitude. This hand forms a circle with the thumb and the index. This refers to the omnipresence of Buddha. Buddha is everywhere because it can see in every single direction, just like the eye in the above-mentioned film. Don't forget the name of the right hand, it is Koushou-Henshou-Jippou-Sekai. Not easy? Sorry, I thought it was. Here is the Kanji anyway for people interested in this: ????????.

Did you know that you can enter inside the Buddha? I am not lying. The Buddha contains many rooms worth seeing. The first one you can go into is totally dark. Obscurity in there lasts 50 seconds. A voice tells us in Japanese that Buddha gives his light through his wisdom to those who are lost, in the dark side. Buddha leads and gives life. In other words, this room symbolizes to the dark world (????? or Mumyou No Sekai).

After this introduction, you will have full access to the 5 floors inside the Daibutsu. The World of Infinite Light and Life ?????? or Hikari No Sekai?, the World of Gratitude and Thankfulness???????? or Chion-Houtoku No Sekai?, the World of the Lotus Sanctuary?????? or Renge-Zou-Sekai?and the Room of Mt. Grdhrakuta?????? or Ryouju-Sen No Ma?A full description of these floors could take ages. We chose to mention the World of Lotus Sanctuary. In a circular shape, this floor is filled with 3,300 images of Buddha. It is possible to meet the priest and pray there. In fact, many families have their own statuette of Buddha there. Smaller ones can cost 300,000 yen while the bigger ones reach 1 million yen. The room is all golden. However, the only place with real gold is where the priest sits. This floor represents the Pure Land.
    http://www.pref.ibaraki.jp/bukyoku/seik ... uddha.html

That was interesting. My favourite part was Leon with the huge bell. Again?!

Seems a little tacky though, like a Buddha Disney Land. They should have a drop-zone type ride that brings you up the side of Amida, and then freefalls 100m. They could call it the 'Satori Experience'. :lol:

Cheers and Gassho,
    Kelly

awesome

Quote Originally Posted by chugai
    I missed him --- the blog is gone

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    We have a very special guest today sitting with us on the 'Sit-a-Long', a real GIANT !!

Please be sure not to miss him ...

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/04 ... zilla.html

(you will also see a side of Buddhism that may be a little different from what you are used to)

Gassho,
    Hi Chugai,

I believe that the GIANT guest was this one ... click on the picture to play ...

http://www.treeleaf.org/sit-a-long/with ... zilla.html

If anyone comes to Tsukuba for a visit, I will likely take you there.

Gassho, J

Ah, giant Buddhas in Japan.

http://vi.sualize.us/view/d1136b6e314fb ... d051319e4/

:mrgreen:

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer G P
    Ah, giant Buddhas in Japan.

http://vi.sualize.us/view/d1136b6e314fb ... d051319e4/

:mrgreen:
    Well who else is going to defend Japan from giant robots? hahahhaha that is classic