Thread: Life before Death

Life before Death

Here is a link to a exhibition of photos of people before and after death with some of their thoughts on life and death.

Some very poigiant stuff, very moving.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/galle ... =333325401

In gassho, Kev

Re: Life before Death

Hey Kev!

Thank you very much for this link. Very moving indeed, and a different cup of tea than to simply talk about impermanence on an intellectual level.

Gassho,

Hans

Thanks for bringing this over, Kev.

You know what? A year ago, I would never have opened that link. Not that I'm afraid of death but I wouldn't have seen the point in thinking about it. Now, I get it. It's not a morbid dwelling on death. It's just accepting it as a part of life. I found the different reactions to their death to be very interesting. One couldn't wait like it was a new adventure, one fought, fought, fought and then saw little men coming out of the flower pots, one ranted against everything being unfair all the way to the end. Just very interesting.

Yeh I know what you mean Tracy. Not some thing I'd normally follow either but I don't find it morbid, more supportive to hear peoples direct feelings on it and how they come to terms with life and death.

I got the link from here http://www.jademountains.net/ a blog by rev Master Mugo of the Order of Buddhist Contemplatives.

In gassho, Kev

Thank you for posting this Kev, and I think Hans has hit the nail on the head:

Very moving indeed, and a different cup of tea than to simply talk about impermanence on an intellectual level.
    but I think we need to move a little further to understand death, beyond more than an intellectual pursuit. In real life death is more visceral:

- it touches all the senses especially touch, smell and hearing
    - it breaches all emotional barriers (both good & bad) , however well prepared we believe we are.

Being told of your possible imminent death is a difficult place to be - it spins you round & makes you re-evaluate where you are. Sitting with the reality of this is hard.

My own death - I think I am ok (but last year when the news was bad I really wanted to live ). The impact on my wife and children I struggle with that.

Anyway - perhaps I am being too direct. Sitting really helps with all this.

Jools

Hi Jools

Sorry to hear you've pressumably had some recent close shave with this. I think your comments are very pertinent.

In gassho, Kev