Thread: Story of the Rabbit

Story of the Rabbit

So one day I'm out for a walk. I have Dogen's Shobogenzo under my arm. It was a little heavy so I took out a some pages. I decided to sit down under a grand earthly tree and do some reading. I was really into the book when a rabbit came along and started sniffing my feet. It took me a little while to notice him there. I'd seen rabbits before, some are brown, white, fat, skinny. Some have pink and grey noses, but for some reason I just can't get enough of them. Well, this little guy was fairly close, so I decided to grab him. I grabbed this rabbit, quite haphazardly and tried to hold him in my arms. He didn't like that. He was kicking and wailing about. His ears were turned back and he started to bite my fingers. He made some kind of gutteral sound. Never heard that before. He was squirming and kicking at my face. My hands became bloody and I could feel the numbness starting to creep in. Spring is just beginning so the weather is still quite chilly. My hands started to bite with cold and pain, but for some reason, I wouldn't let this rabbit go. Eventually the pain got so great I released my grasp. As soon as I did that the rabbit twisted out of my hands pushing against them and fell to the ground with a great start. Within an instant he was gone. I wiped my hands and went home.

Now, when I return to that tree to read, I will see rabbits come and go. Some sniff my feet, some I even pet. Now and then I might try to grab one and keep it forever, but that always ends with pain. So I invite them over, perhaps play with them for a while, but eventually they go.

Sometimes I see bears and deer. And oh yes the fox. It is quite enjoyable sitting here under this tree with this copy of the Shobogenzo which seems to lose pages here and there. Where do they go? Watching the bears and foxes, rabbits, and deer. Watching them come and go. Inviting them over for a nibble, a snuggle, a stroke, but ...eventually...they go...

And I go about my reading losing pages here and there.

G,W

Re: Story of the Rabbit

Beautiful story Will. Thank you.

Gassho,
    Agata

Nice Gassho, Kent

Hmmmm... Will. A story requiring a bit of thought. One of Dogen's riddles maybe?
    :wink: Jenny

So she was considering, in her own mind (as well as she could, for the hot day made her feel very sleepy and stupid), whether the pleasure of making a daisy-chain would be worth the trouble of getting up and picking the daisies, when suddenly a White Rabbit with pink eyes ran close by her.

There was nothing so very remarkable in that; nor did Alice think it so very much out of the way to hear the Rabbit say to itself "Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be too late!" (when she thought it over afterwards it occurred to her that she ought to have wondered at this, but at the time it all seemed quite natural); but, when the Rabbit actually took a watch out of its waistcoat-pocket, and looked at it, and then hurried on, Alice started to her feet, for it flashed across her mind that she had never before seen a rabbit with either a waistcoat-pocket, or a watch to take out of it, and burning with curiosity, she ran across the field after it, and was just in time to see it pop down a large rabbit-hole under the hedge.

In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.

The rabbit-hole went straight on like a tunnel for some way, and then dipped suddenly down, so suddenly that Alice had not a moment to think about stopping herself before she found herself falling down what seemed to be a very deep well.
    Lewis Carroll - Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - 1865