Thread: When it's time to sit

When it's time to sit

Central to our practice is sitting, unfortunately some people don't have alot of time; however 30 minutes can be found somewhere, I think, even if it means getting up earlier. In practice from what I have learned is that sometimes we need to break past our usually habits and such. Schedule has helped me in the sense that it presents all my laziness, and distraction. Too sit whenever you feel like it seems to be anti-productive in that sense. Whether we feel like it or not the sitting has to be done. So we kind of notice the little stories we tell ourselves. No I won't sit now. I can sit later. ummm...nope sit now. I think this will produce a stronger practice then the sometimes approach. Sitting is central to our practice, it should be given a little more importance. Taking what we learn on the zafu off the zafu is the point. Relentless practice day in and day out when it's time to sit. Just two cents

Gassho Will

Re: When it's time to sit

Sometimes getting to the Zafu is harder than staying on the Zafu.

Knowing that there are other people out there sitting really helps.

Making myself keep to a schedule also helps.

Ron

I find sitting first thing in the morning after waking (mostly quite early) is best, after which I do Yoga stretching and some Tai Chi. All before breakfast. It gets to be a good habit and one that becomes not easy to neglect, just like cleaning one's teeth. Saying that I do not have young children any more to interrupt or require attention, while a lot of Treeleafers probably do, or their work schedules may vary. Getting older doesn't have many advantages, but time to sit and a free bus-pass are two of them!

Jenny

Yep, you are all touching on something crucial here . . .

Thanks Will for bringing this up, I do agree it is much easier to stick with sitting practice if we actually hold to a regular scheduled time. Good reminder for us all.

but time to sit and a free bus-pass are two of them!

Thanks for the reminder!
    I have found it tough to go sit, even when i have no good reason not to. I still practice- but not regularly.
    family/work/other duties have been taking the front seat as of late and they belong there, as does my practice. with out either i tend to just coast along.

I am committing myself again to a solid sitting schedule right this moment.

Gassho
    Dirk

Having been Inspired by Will I want to set a schedule for my Zazen. I'm going to shoot for thirty minutes at 11:30pm every night.

Sunday Mornings will be more intensive, when at home I'll sit for 45 minutes, then ten minutes of Kinhin, followed by another 45 minutes of Zazen.

I also will be try to attend a Zazaenkai at least once a month . . . couple options on the location here; Valley Zendo, Treeleaf, ect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We'll see how well I do. I'll check in with y'all

Daily rocks. Two thumbs up.

I'm kind of humbled by the idea of zazenkai. I've never sat that much. Though a week ago I'd have said that I couldn't sit 30 minute stretches.

My schedule is 30 minutes morning, 30 minutes evening and, if I can squeeze it in, a shorter sitting around lunch. It has worked nicely this past week.

All the best and good luck with your schedule.

Yes, well somewhere in the future we will attempt the first "Treeleaf" all-online Seven (7) Day, morning to night, Sesshin!

I hope you will be up to that when it comes!

Gassho, Jundo

Yes, well somewhere in the future we will attempt the first "Treeleaf" all-online Seven (7) Day, morning to night, Sesshin!
    Yikes!! :roll:

G,W

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo

I hope you will be up to that when it comes!

Gassho, Jundo
    I'm sure all be around for some of it . . .

So far keeping to the schedule we'll see how the weekend goes. I might blow it if I decide to travel and go off and try qualify for the US Summer Nationals in Fencing . . . I suppose I can do fencing Zazen.