Thread: INFORMATION FOR SATURDAY'S ZAZENKAI

INFORMATION FOR SATURDAY'S ZAZENKAI

OUR APRIL ZAZENKAI HAS BEEN DONE SAT ... BUT IS AVAILABLE TO SIT AGAIN FOREVER AND WHENEVER ON THE 'LEAF' BLOG:

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/04/retreat.html

Hi All,

I will be speaking about this Saturday's "Buddha's Birthday" Zazenkai a little later on today's "Sit-a-Long with Jundo" ...

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/04 ... b-day.html

This Saturday will be THE FIRST OF OUR MONTHLY "HALF-DAY" SITTINGS, which I hope will continue on the first Saturday of each month from this point forward. We will start with 4 hour sittings, although I hope to transition to 8 hour and longer retreats later this year.

This first sitting will run from 9pm until approximately 1am Japan Time, which (by my calculation - PLEASE CONFIRM BY JAPAN TIME) is Saturday, 5am to 9am in Vancouver, 8am to noon in New York, 1pm to 5pm in London, 2pm to 6 pm in Paris. It is my intent to record the Zazenkai on USTREAM for later participation by those who cannot be with us until a later date (I will not be sitting in the "Sitting Room" for this Zazenkai). On the day of the retreat, you will be able to join via links on the Treeleaf "Leaf" blog.

I STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU POSITION YOUR ZAFU ON THE FLOOR IN A PLACE WHERE YOU ARE NOT STARING DIRECTLY AT THE COMPUTER SCREEN, BUT CAN GLANCE OVER AND SEE THE SCREEN WHEN NECESSARY. YOUR ZAFU SHOULD ALSO BE IN A POSITION WHERE YOU CAN SEE THE COMPUTER SCREEN WHILE STANDING IN FRONT OF THE ZAFU FOR THE CEREMONIES.

The schedule for this Saturday will be as follows:

00:00 – 00:50 CEREMONY (HEART SUTRA English & Japanese / SANDOKAI) & ZAZEN
    00:50 – 01:00 KINHIN
    01:00 – 01:40 ZAZEN
    01:40 – 01:50 KINHIN
    01:50 – 02:30 ZAZEN & DHARMA TALK
    02:30 – 02:40 KINHIN
    02:40 – 03:20 ZAZEN
    03:20 – 03:30 KINHIN
    03:30 – 04:00 FUKANZAZENGI CHANT & ZAZEN
    04:00 – 04:10 FOUR VOWS, VERSE OF ATONEMENT & CLOSING COMMENTS

As you can see, there will be 5 periods of Zazen, each 40 minutes long, although several will include time for chanting. In between each period of Zazen, there will be a 10 minute period for Kinhin walking (which will also serve for any needed bathroom breaks).

We will be chanting the Heart Sutra in English & Japanese, plus the Sandokai in English only, at the start, and the Fukanzazengi in Japanese at the end of the day. I will also be asking people to do a series of floor prostrations (in sets of 3) during the opening ceremony and at the closing, although you may substitute deep standing "Gassho" if you wish (please see the talk on the philosophy of prostrations, below).

If you do not have it, please download and print our "Treeleaf Chantbook" and keep it handy near your Zafu during the retreat.

http://jundotreeleaf.googlepages.com...ETREAT1105.pdf

You may also download and review the explanatory materials for our last retreat, although not all apply in this case (we will not be doing Oryoki eating or Samu work during this Zazenkai, although I hope to add those in the future).

http://jundotreeleaf.googlepages.com...rs10312007.pdf

I will lead and talk us through it, so please just play "follow the leader" if not sure what to do. You may also wish to review these general instructions for behavior in a Zendo, which I will be attempting to follow as closely as possible. Again, I will try to talk us through it.

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/zen ... uette.html

Skye was kind enough to make available a series of talks I gave in preparation for our last retreat. If you have time, please give a listen to those before Saturday. Not all apply in this case, so it is only suggested to listen to the following:

TALK 2: Chanting the Heart Sutra 1
    http://www.treeleaf.org/library/zazenka ... php?page=2

A little discussion about chanting the Heart Sutra in English. Tomorrow, we will discuss chanting the Heart Sutra in Japanese.

For today, I will just be practicing the beginning of the English version (Please note that the wording in the Treeleaf Chantbook that we will be using Saturday is slightly different from the following):

INO ONLY =

Maha Prajna Paramita Heart Sutra*
    (The Great Sutra of Perfect Understanding)

EVERYONE =

A/vo/lo/ki/tes/va/ra/ Bo/dhi/satt/va/,

Prac/ti/cing/ deep/ Praj/na/ Pa/ra/mi/ta/ *

Per/ceived/ the/ emp/ti/ness/ of /all /five /con/di/tions/,

And/ was/ freed/ of/ suf/fer/ing/.

O/ Sha/ri/pu/tra/, form/ is/ no/ o/ther/ than/ emp/ti/ness/,

Emp/ti/ness/ no/ o/ther/ than/ form/;

Form/ is/ pre/cise/ly/ emp/ti/ness/, emp/ti/ness/ pre/cise/ly/ form/.

... and the end ...

This/ is/ no/ o/ther/ than/ truth/.

There/fore/ set/ forth/ the/ Praj/na/ Pa/ra/mi/ta/ man/tra/.

Set/ forth/ this/ man/tra/ and/ pro/claim/:*

(1x)

Gate! Gate! (Gone, Gone)

Paragate! (Gone Beyond)

Parasamgate! (Fully Beyond)

Bodhi! Svaha! (Awakening, Rejoice)

If you would like to hear an Mp3 of a somewhat different version in English (just to hear the rhythm), link here:

http://home.ripway.com/2005-8/375648/hrt/pph1a.mp3 (MP3)
    http://home.ripway.com/2005-8/375648...20324-pph1.ram (Realplayer)
    TALK 3: Chanting the Heart Sutra 2
    http://www.treeleaf.org/library/zazenka ... php?page=3

... a little discussion about chanting the Heart Sutra in Japanese:

Maka Hannya Haramita Shin Gyo*

Kan Ji Zai Bo Satsu Gyo Jin Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ji Sho Ken Go* On Kai Ku Do I Sai Ku Yaku Sha Ri Shi Shiki Fu I Ku Ku Fu I Shiki Shiki Soku Ze Ku Ku Soku Ze Shiki Ju So Gyo Shiki Yaku Bu Nyo Ze Sha Ri Shi Ze Sho Ho Ku So Fu Sho Fu Metsu Fu Ku Fu Jo Fu Zo Fu Gen Ze Ko Ku Chu Mu Shiki Mu Ju So Gyo Shiki Mu Gen Ni Bi Ze Shin Ni Mu Shiki Sho Ko Mi Soku Ho Mu Gen Kai Nai Shi Mu I Shiki Kai Mu Mu Myo Yaku Mu Mu Myo Jin Nai Shi Mu Ro Shi Yaku Mu Ro Shi Jin Mu Ku Shu Metsu Do Mu Chi Yaku Mu Toku I Mu Sho Tok ko Bo Dai Sat Ta E Han-Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ko* Shin Mu Kei Ge Mu Kei Ge Ko Mu U Ku Fu On Ri Is-Sai Ten Do Mu So Ku Gyo Ne Han San Ze Sho Butsu E Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ko* Toku A Noku Ta Ra San Myaku San Bo Dai Ko Chi Han-Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Ze Dai Jin Shu Ze Dai Myo Shu Ze Mu Jo Shu Ze Mu To To Shu No Jo Is sai Ku Shin Jitsu Fu Ko Ko Setsu Han Nya Ha Ra Mi Ta Shu Soku Setsu Shu Watsu Gya* Tei Gya Tei Ha Ra Gya Tei Hara* So Gya Tei Bo Ji Sowa Ka Han Nya Shin Gyo

If you would like to practice with a very nice traditional version ... click here:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0

And if you would like to watch it in all its formal glory, performed at a Japanese temple (our Retreat's Ceremony will be a somewhat simplified version of the same), this video is CERTAINLY worth watching ...

http://teishoin.sakura.ne.jp/sound/sejiki2001.ram
    TALK 6: Prostrations
    http://www.treeleaf.org/library/zazenka ... php?page=6

... there will be times of prostrating (Raihai), done in a series or three (Sanpai) ...

I am often asked to whom or what we are bowing ... Is it to some thing, god, person or effigy?

I answer by saying that there is nothing that's true that is omitted from our bow. We might consider that we're simply bowing to the whole universe, or to ourself and the other people around us … after all, 'All are One'! The hands, palms upwards, are raised in a gesture traditionally symbolic of lifting the Buddha's feet over one's head, but that truly means lifting all things of the universe over one's head. It's appropriate to cultivate an attitude of emptying, letting go, receptivity and gratitude in our bows.

If there is some physical or personal reason not to prostrate, a simple Gassho can be substituted. However, there is greatness in the humility of the prostration.

As this will be just the first Saturday Zazenkai of many to come (I apologize for the time that has passed since our last retreat), I am sure we will become more skilled with time. Please join me in this great experiment.

Gassho, Jundo

Re: INFORMATION FOR SATURDAY'S ZAZENKAI

You'll be recording & broadcasting live via UStream at the same time, is that right?

Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Skye
    You'll be recording & broadcasting live via UStream at the same time, is that right?

Skye
    Hi Skye,

Yes, that is correct. We will have a "live" netcast of the Zazenkai, and it will also be recorded for later participation "on demand".

I suppose that folks can also be sitting in the "Sitting Room" at the same time that they watch the USTREAM netcast, but it is best if they "full screen" the USTREAM netcast to see it (I will post a link on the day of the sitting that does that automatically). So, that makes seeing the "Sitting Room" at the same time pretty much not possible.

Gassho, Jundo

Thank you for all the preparation and materials.

Gassho Will

I'll wil have my destop set up like this which let's you see 3 extra people in the sitting room.

G,W

Hi Will,

Yes, that's great. Perhaps people can split the screen like that.

Also, let me mention that I am thinking to post some general instructions for the "Sitting Room" (I will write them soon) encouraging folks not to sit there staring face forward into the camera and computer screen. In fact, it is not necessary even to look very often to see if others are present in the "Sitting Room"or not. I think people should arrange their camera so that they can be sitting on the floor, facing a wall if possible, with the camera merely showing the side or back of their heads from a distance. Otherwise, the computer screen becomes the central focus of attention, and people should not be staring at it. In fact, people should put the camera on then ignore the camera and computer completely.

You have been working with the "Sitting Room" quite a bit. Will. What do you think of such instructions?

Gassho, Jundo

Hi,

I was thinking that it also might be helpful if people make a text entry in the chat box when they enter and leave, e.g. 'Ken joining - hi' or 'Ken joining - bye', just so people who enter/leave at various times know who they're sitting with. I'm not sure how long the chat protocol is visible, though. Anyway, just an idea.

Gassho
    Ken

p.s. My webcam is now being shipped - I'm looking forward to joining in soon.

Also, let me mention that I am thinking to post some general instructions for the "Sitting Room" (I will write them soon) encouraging folks not to sit there staring face forward into the camera and computer screen. In fact, it is not necessary even to look very often to see if others are present in the "Sitting Room"or not. I think people should arrange their camera so that they can be sitting on the floor, facing a wall if possible, with the camera merely showing the side or back of their heads from a distance. Otherwise, the computer screen becomes the central focus of attention, and people should not be staring at it. In fact, people should put the camera on then ignore the camera and computer completely.
    Yes. Absolutely.

Don't try to avoid the camera perse or ignore it I think, but just let it be and sit. yep. I just sit sideways when I do zazen and face that board there. I don't really know what your doing for the Zazenkai. I guess we have to see the screen for changes and such?

I sat facing toward the screen last Saturday and let my eyes drop to the keyboard. Put a white sheet of paper on the keyboard so it is not distracting but even then it still is a bit. I don't recommend that as regular thing.

I specifically designed my space so I could sit beside the computer at a good height. I switch between office chair and zafu.

G,W

btw the split screen is for the forms ie. bowing together and I don't know I guess it's not really needed, just kind of adds a bit of je ne cest quoi. Group effort I guess.

G,W

I'll be missing the Zazenkai this weekend. I've got to take care of some things that morning. Perhaps next time.

I'll probably do some intensive sitting on my own that day. I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the technological additions, perhaps I'll take the time to figure things out in the next couple of months.

Gregor , i too am a bit overwhelmed by the technological additions and having some difficulty "wrapping my brain" around most of it............ :?

Moved

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor
    ... I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with all the technological additions, perhaps I'll take the time to figure things out in the next couple of months.
    Don't be too distracted by the new bells and whistles. I am going to say that the video "Zen Hall" should, I think, remain something of a little toy. After playing with it a few days, and appreciating the idea that there truly are other people "out there" sitting with us, I think it is best to forget all about it. Turn it on sometimes, other times no need. I think it is nice to see visually that there are other people out there, but after confirming that fact ... forget the camera, forget the screen and face the wall. Maybe have a group sitting there once a week or so, not much more. That is what I am thinking of encouraging.

It has been nice these first few weeks that people could sit while seeing others, and there is no reason that cannot continue. But neither is it necessary I think. Sit there sometimes, other times don't bother. After all, "here" "there" "together" "apart" are all states of mind.

In addition, even when sitting in the video "Zen Hall", I suggest you put the camera on, have a look at the screen ... then immediately never look at it or the screen again. Sit as if it is not there. I am going to post some rules for sitting whereby we no longer face directly the camera, screen or keyboard again ... I do not think that people should be sitting in profile so that their face is staring at the camera.

In fact, I think my own "sit-a-longs" have been misleading, so from tomorrow I will no longer sit facing directly into the camera. I will sit facing a wall, the floor or the like. Once we start sitting, that is all that is important. I started facing forward because, in an actual Soto Zendo, the teacher is the only one to face forward while all face the wall. Now, I am going to stop that most times.

We are experimenting and discovering things about these new methods as we go along.

So, in summary, there is absolutely no reason that someone should feel the need to use the video "Zen Hall" and, even if you do, please act as if you are not.

Gassho, Jundo

Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    ... Maybe have a group sitting there once a week or so, not much more. That is what I am thinking of encouraging.
    ... to which Will wrote me:

So what's the purpose can this sitting room serve? Since we are not really using it?

I found that it helped my practice a lot to make a commitment to sit at those times. It also helped to know that others will be probably be there too waiting to get started, so I can't get out of it kind of and every time that I'm late or look for an excuse to do something else it kind helps with showing that.

What do you think?

Yes, you're right too!

Like I said, we are figuring this out as we go along. You make a good point.

Well, perhaps I can just encourage folks not to be too dependent on the place, or feel that they "have to" sit there. But, it can be left up to what each person likes. If some folks want to sit there every day, or even more, no problem. Other folks might just want to drop in now and then.

How's that sound? Gassho, Jundo

Sounds Good.

Thought I'd add. It's also great being able to actually sort of Gassho and maybe chat.

G,W

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    Well, perhaps I can just encourage folks not to be too dependent on the place, or feel that they "have to" sit there. But, it can be left up to what each person likes. If some folks want to sit there every day, or even more, no problem. Other folks might just want to drop in now and then.
    How's that sound? Gassho, Jundo
    My feelings exactly! If its a support for your practice, great. If its a hinderance, put it aside.

Skye

Thanks you Jundo et al
    for all your hard work in pulling this together. I am really enjoying everyone's fellowship & look forward to tomorrow.
    Best wishes
    Jools

In the copy of the Heart Sutra that I have it has some astrix beside some words. What are those?

Gassho Will

Hi, everyone.

I like having the camera option for sitting, but I still prefer to sit without it. I find it somehow more distracting than sitting with the little group I have at school. I think it is because the camera is pointing at me, whereas people in the same room face the wall so there is none of that feeing of being watched. So, I will use it every now and then but mostly not. However, I think using it for ceremonies and the like will be a great bonus.

Also, my laptop seems to work pretty hard when I'm in the sitting room. The fans come on and stay on so it is a bit noisy (it is the only site I've ever had this happen with). Does anyone have similar performance with that page?

Bill

PS--Will, I think the asterisks are when a bell chimes.

Thanks Bill.

I think it is because the camera is pointing at me, whereas people in the same room face the wall so there is none of that feeing of being watched.
    Our practice is working with this stuff right?

G,W

You are right, Will.
    In my defense, I think the noise from the computer fans is what draws my attention to the laptop more than the awareness of the camera.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by will
    In the copy of the Heart Sutra that I have it has some astrix beside some words. What are those?

Gassho Will
    That's when the computer fans come on ... ahh, I mean when the bells chime.

I hope to see you all for the Zazenkai tonight, in the morning, afternoon, whenever ...

Gassho, Jundo

:lol:

Sounds like a good compromise, we can each use these new tools as we feel the need for them. It's good to know that there is no expectation that we must incorporate them into a fundamental part of our practice.

Also, I do like what Will said it would be really nice to share a Gassho and little chat every now and then.

Right now I'm really stripping down my practice to the basics. I'm sure I'll come around to checking out the cool new additions, just need to wait for when I feel ready.

See you bright & early at 5AM... maybe I'll get a nice sunrise while I sit!

Printed out the chant book today but I'm a newb at this ceremony stuff so I hope there's lots of instruction

Skye

Quote Originally Posted by Skye
    maybe I'll get a nice sunrise while I sit!
    If I would've took a picture this morning I could've sent it to you.

G,W

Hi Bill
    my old machine did the same - so I bought one of these - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC - Compared to a laptop it is very cheap. Has a 4gb flash memory and inbuilt webcam. Just right for carrying Jundo and all you lot around the house (using the wireless network - of course). It is Linux based & at the moment the inbuilt webcam does not work with Abdobe Flash - but their working on it.
    No sunrise here - dull leaden skies.
    Best wishes
    Jools

ummm...where's the link for the Zazenkai? ops:

G,W

Got it. Went to ustream.

G,W

Thank you, and happy birthday Buddha!

Gassho

Jundo
    thanks you very much - that was great: 15 of us together across the world - what a great sense of fellowship.
    Technology was a little flaky at the outset - so I missed some of the chants & I lost connection during the first 10 minutes or so of the first Zazen, but after that I reconnected it was fine all the way through. My wireless & Asus Eee performed brilliantly, as did my wife and kids, who let me have the time to do this.
    Really enjoyed the dharma talk - I hope I can emulate that old Joe from 2500 years ago and make some headway too
    I also experienced the feeling of "no escape" as into the 3-4 hour, my back and legs ached - but then it was great to end (a bit like banging ones head against a wall - I guess).
    All in all a wonderful experience - one I would do again (in fact I will tomorrow, but only for 30 minutes )
    Jundo - again - heartfelt thanks
    Best wishes
    Jools

Hi Jools, Will and Skye,

I am glad it was worthwhile.

It will be even better next month, as I will get the microphone and camera better positioned, my gravel voice in better tune ( ops: ), and all my Buddhist gear (including the big bell!!) are due to arrive by boat this month!! The carpenters may even put the floors back into this place so we have more room to work.

Plus, I hope to get the local "Zazen" sitting group reconstituted here in Tsukuba so that some other folks will come sit with us live ... although I am not sure who would want to do that at 1AM local time!!

Anyway, we will do it again in May!

Gassho, Jundo

Yugen

All,

I ma sorry I could not join you today. I have three boys, ages 17, 12 and 4... Saturday morning US East coast time is one of the few times we are all together and home from work, school, etc. and we have breakfast and chum around. Now that the weather is moderating, we are getting our bikes and kayaks out, dusting hem off and getting ready for outdoor season on the Maine coast. With family commitments, it is easiest for me to sit on a schedule consisting of early morning and late night sessions (6 AM and 11 PM) for thirty minutes each. I will try to join you in the future, but I wanted to write and let you know that the fellowship you shared and created was felt by me as I went through my morning, engaging in "moving" Zazen with my boys. Thank you all for coming together. The group spirit and fellowship of your practice is not limited to those present at the zazenkai. I daresay all of us in the sangha feel your presence across the timezones, and I for one am grateful knowing that you (we) are all out there.

Thanks and Gassho,
    Alex

Quote Originally Posted by Jools
    I also experienced the feeling of "no escape" as into the 3-4 hour, my back and legs ached - but then it was great to end (a bit like banging ones head against a wall - I guess).
    No doubt, that last hour was rough. Kept me awake though.
    I hope my legs get more bendy by next month!

Another good reason not to sit facing the screen, that way you won't get distracted by my fidgeting :P

Thank you Jundo

Hi Syke

that way you won't get distracted by my fidgeting
    :lol: Hey, that was nothing - I was twitching back & forth with my back & shuffling my legs to get the blood flowing. But (interestingly) at no time was I bored - in mild pain, but not bored .

Best wishes

Jools

Alex,

Nicely said!

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by alex
    All,

I ma sorry I could not join you today. I have three boys, ages 17, 12 and 4... Saturday morning US East coast time is one of the few times we are all together and home from work, school, etc. and we have breakfast and chum around.
    ... and that's why there is a "sit-on-demand" (c) recorded version ... :twisted:

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2008/04/retreat.html

Jools
    I was twitching back & forth with my back & shuffling my legs to get the blood flowing.
    Join th club. I learn't alot from that...but I think I forget most of it :roll:

One thing that I did learn is that my respect for Zen teachers has risen a notch.

Technology was a little flaky at the outset - so I missed some of the chants & I lost connection during the first 10 minutes or so of the first Zazen,
    Yeah me to, but after a while it was alright, still choppy, but not bad. I actually got to chant the Fukanzazengi at the end, with very little disturbance which was a great experience.

Thanx again Big J.

Gassho Will

Jundo. I don't know why, but I was unable to find the link to the Zazenkai on Saturday. I had to ask somebody. I went to the blog a couple times and nothing. Where was this posted? Am I missing something?

G,W

Hi Will,

It was posted on the "Sit-a-Long with Jundo" blog a few minutes before 9pm Japan time (the starting time). I had to cut it close to the starting time due to a last minute technical problem. Anyway, seems you found it in the end, Will.

Gassho, Jundo

Yes indeed. Thanks.

G,W

Hi, everyone.

I just finished the 'on-demand' version of yesterday's retreat. I couldn't do it yesterday, so it was nice to be able to catch it this morning.

Thanks, Jundo, for making this opportunity available. I'm looking forward to this becoming part of my monthly schedule.

Gassho,
    Bill

Sorry I missed it. I attend a 'mindfulness meditation day' on the first Saturday of every month.

Gassho,
    John

It's actually recorded John, so it's available anytime.

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/

Gassho Will

As a late comment, I've much appreciated the sitting room as it gives those of us who are not inclined to post on the forum a sense of community. It helped me strengthen my practice, in the sitting room and elsewhere. Different things fit different people in different situations. I'm glad there is now a way to practice together without chatter.

Looking forward to doing the zazenkai now that I'm back home from a weekend with the board.

All the best,
    em

Quote Originally Posted by em
    As a late comment, I've much appreciated the sitting room as it gives those of us who are not inclined to post on the forum a sense of community. It helped me strengthen my practice, in the sitting room and elsewhere. Different things fit different people in different situations. I'm glad there is now a way to practice together without chatter.

Looking forward to doing the zazenkai now that I'm back home from a weekend with the board.

All the best,
    em
    Thank you, Em. It is good to have your guidance. Gassho, Jundo