Thread: zendo etiquette

zendo etiquette

Hi

Just wondered if we should have some formal sort of etiquette for using the webcam zendo?

Are we going to all meet in the meeting room, where we can talk, agree what we are going to do and then, when we decide no one else is coming move to the sitting room to be in silence (other than any chants)?

Or are people OK with us waiting in the sitting room and possibly chatting a bit until we decide no one else is coming and then start the sitting?

I'm sure there may be other things people may have in mind...

In gassho, Kev

Re: zendo etiquette

Quote Originally Posted by Longdog
    Hi

Just wondered if we should have some formal sort of etiquette for using the webcam zendo?

Are we going to all meet in the meeting room, where we can talk, agree what we are going to do and then, when we decide no one else is coming move to the sitting room to be in silence (other than any chants)?

Or are people OK with us waiting in the sitting room and possibly chatting a bit until we decide no one else is coming and then start the sitting?

I'm sure there may be other things people may have in mind...

In gassho, Kev
    Hi Kev,

From next week for the Saturday sitting which I lead, I hope to have the room I am using (visible on the view on the camera) set up as close as possible to an actual formal Zendo setting. That means that, at minimum, there should be an an altar with a Buddha statue and a Zafu visible when you see me. (The picture image is so small that it is tricky to set up the shot. But I think I can do it and keep everything in camera). I am planning to enter the room, Gassho toward the altar (I may do three floor bows, but that is something I am to do alone), move to the Zafu and follow the usual steps (Gassho toward the Zafu, then fluffing the Zafu, then turn clockwise and Gassho toward the room). Then, we will remain standing and chant the Heart Sutra, closing with three floor prostrations or three deep Gassho toward the Altar (we do those all together. Folks who do not want to do three prostrations can just do three deep Gassho instead). We will then turn again clockwise to sit. Here is a description of standard etiquette in a Japanese Sodo:

http://global.sotozen-net.or.jp/eng/...etiquette.html

(You will notice that they first sit after the second Gassho, then turn. But it is hard to do that if your Zafu is on a Zabuton, rug or the like. So, many folks in the west turn then sit).

As I said, I would like to see folks somehow standing for the Heart Sutra Chan. In fact, in the coming weeks, once I get used to the camera, I will make the ceremony a bit more elaborate, with more bowing involved. In fact, I assume that many people will have to be very creative to find some way to be on their Zafus while still being in eye shot of their computer screens.

Now, I notice that a lot of people look like they are doing their Zazen while sitting in desk chairs in front of their computer. Although we can do Zazen anywhere, I do not think that this is good as a regular practice. It would be nice if everyone can get their camera's positioned so that they are sitting properly on their Zafu on the floor. Also, obviously, it makes the formal ritual for sitting rather difficult to accomplish.

With time, we will figure out how to do this, and how to modify traditional Zendo manners for this new situation. I am still a bit limited because, really, I am living with my family in the Kitchen until repairs are completed to most of our rooms here. So, I will need to improvise too.

Assuming I finally get the microphone working next time, I will talk everybody through the rituals, bows and turns. So, just follow the leader and it will be no problem.

Gassho, Jundo

hi Jundo

Yeh, that sounds good. I have been doing the gassho at the computer screen (desktop PC) but then moving out of frame to sit as I don't want to sit in front of the screen.

As you say organsiing the sitting space to keep all actions in frame will be a bit awkward, lots of people moving webs cams which is a reciped for disaster, I think? Isn't it more important that we are in frame for the chanting/bowing than the sitting as during the sitting we're not going to be looking at the screen?

The other part of my question was do you want us to gather in the meeting room initially, a few minute before, where we can sort out and sound etc. problems, say what is happening or what ever, and then at a signal/command switch over to the sitting hall?

When me and Will and some others have sat there have inevitably been a few minutes trying to sort sound etc out, exchanging pleasantries and waiting to see if some one else might turn up. A number of people doing this in the hall could be anything from hilarious to irritating.

Anyway I'm looking forawrd to seeing how this adventure runs.

In gassho, Kev

Hi Kev,

On a couple of points you raise, I think the best situation would be to be sitting on your Zafu from a place where one can be see the computer screen from the Zafu when you want (even though most of the time we are looking at the wall or floor) and be seen on camera while on the Zafu.

Also, I do not think it is necessary to meet in the "meeting room", and everyone can go directly to the sitting room. Just stop talking, and start sitting, when the bell rings.

We'll work this out in the actual doing over the coming weeks.

Gassho, Jundo

Hey Kev. I think that's a good idea. Some of us spent a lot of time yesterday setting up our mics and such. I think it's a good idea to get your levels correct and then go to the sitting room. For formal sittings this is a good idea (with lots of people). Also if anyone would like to chat after sitting.

Jundo hasn't figured out how to turn on his mic, so don't listen to him

Gassho

I don't see a problem with getting ready/waiting in the Sitting Hall as long as there isn't anyone else currently sitting - pretty obvious. As the Sitting Hall gets busier, then people should meet and coordinate in the Meeting Hall and switch over only when ready to start, and then switching back to the Meeting Hall after the last gassho.

But if you're the only ones in the Sitting Hall, then what does it matter?

I'll probably put a click-through rules page in front of the Sitting Hall at some point as things get busier.

I'm happy whatever way, just as long as we all know.

In gassho, Kev