Thread: Various articles and text

Various articles and text

I'm going to post here various articles and text that might be of use to some people.

Gassho Will

Dogen Fukanzazegi Lecture 4

Great article about body in practice by Taitaku Pat Phelan

http://www.intrex.net/chzg/pat40.htm

I have given three talks on Dogen’s text the Fukanzazengi, and today I want to go back to where I left off, the dialogue between Huai-rang and Ma-Tsu about polishing a tile. After the initial exchange, which compares sitting zazen in order to get enlightened to polishing a tile in order to make it into a mirror, Huai-rang asked his disciple Ma-Tsu, If the cart won’t go do you hit the cart or the ox? This brings up the relationship between body and mind. The longer I sit, the more strongly I feel the importance of the body to this practice, and I don’t mean that the body is important because we need it to work so we can sit cross-legged and meditate. It is important because the body, including the information held in our muscles and joints as well as the wisdom of our physical presence, is necessary to get beyond the confines of the thinking mind and access the totality of our being. For many of us it takes awhile to trust this practice deeply enough so that we can put down the strategizing, tracking mind and be comfortable with the slower and more subtle activity of our physical presence.

VIMALAKIRTI NIRDESA SUTRA

http://www2.kenyon.edu/Depts/Religion/F ... akirti.htm

Capter 3 excerpt:

Then, the Licchavi Vimalakirti thought to himself, "I am sick, lying on my bed in pain, yet the Tathagata, the saint, the perfectly accomplished Buddha, does not consider or take pity upon me, and sends no one to inquire after my illness."

The Lord knew this thought in the mind of Vimalakirti and said to the venerable Sariputra, "Sariputra, go to inquire after the illness of the Licchavi Vimalakirti."

Thus having been addressed, the venerable Sariputra answered the Buddha, "Lord, I am indeed reluctant to go to ask the Licchavi Vimalakirti about his illness. Why? I remember one day, when I was sitting at the foot of a tree in the forest, absorbed in contemplation, the Licchavi Vimalakirti came to the foot of that tree and said to me, 'Reverend Sariputra, this is not the way to absorb yourself in contemplation. You should absorb yourself in contemplation so that neither body nor mind appear anywhere in the triple world. You should absorb yourself in contemplation in such a way that you can manifest all ordinary behavior without forsaking cessation. You should absorb yourself in contemplation in such a way that you can manifest the nature of an ordinary person without abandoning your cultivated spiritual nature. You should absorb yourself in contemplation so that the mind neither settles within nor moves without toward external forms. You should absorb yourself in contemplation in such a way that the thirty-seven aids to enlightenment are manifest without deviation toward any convictions. You should absorb yourself in contemplation in such a way that you are released in liberation without abandoning the passions that are the province of the world.

"'Reverend Sariputra, those who absorb themselves in contemplation in such a way are declared by the Lord to be truly absorbed in contemplation.'

"Lord, when I heard this teaching, I was unable to reply and remained silent. Therefore, I am reluctant to go to ask that good man about his sickness."
    An outilne of the Sutra. Somewhat helpful:

http://www.wisdom-books.com/ProductExtr ... ?PID=12799

Shobogenzo by Dogen Zenji

Shasta Abbey translation

http://www.shastaabbey.org/shobogenzo1.htm

Modern Interpretations of the Shobogenzo
    by Michael Eido Luetchford:

http://www.dogensangha.org.uk/modernint ... tions.html

Re: Various articles and text

Quote Originally Posted by will
    I'm going to post here various articles and text that might be of use to some people.

Gassho Will
    Yikes. Beautiful stuff! But rather overwhelming, all at once. May I suggest, Will, that we take Wisdom in small doses, and in good measure. Kinda like medicines in small, healthful doses. Too much, and I get a headache!

But it is good to know that these resources are out there. Thanks Will.

Gassho, Jundo

Yes. I'm just posting them. If anyone finds them useful, then there they are

Gassho