Thread: One answer

One answer

I may be dead in a minute (you never know), so I should post this.

What is a name?

An attachment.

A lie.

A name is trying to grasp space with your hand. Can it be done?

We have the same name. Together we share it. And yet there is attention. Because there is attention a name is useful. With a name we can pass on information. With a name we can say "Please pass me the salt".

Ok.

Gassho

Time to sit.

Ah... it gets more fun.
    See, your name doesn't belong to you. Even though it's you who give me your name to call you by, your name is a projection of MY mind, and vice versa.
    My thoughts don't go, "Karl wants a glass of water," or "Karls legs hurt in the lotus position."
    they're more immediate. And "Karl" becomes ME. I. "My back hurts and I ought to me using the seiza bench. That'll help me."
    No name. I. Me. My. In my head, my name doesn't mean anything.
    thus, MY name actually belongs to YOU.
    And vice versa.
    There's no "Karl" in my head. Just Me. I. Karl only exists when you need something to call Me. I.

Is your name Karl? I thought it was Kvon.

Ok.Ok. :roll: But seriously.

G,W

He Who Cannot Be Named is the (name?) of the guitarist for a hardcore band called the Dwarves.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/r...k/he%20who.jpg

The tao that can be told
    is not the eternal Tao
    The name that can be named
    is not the eternal Name.

The unnamable is the eternally real.
    Naming is the origin
    of all particular things.

Is your name Karl? I thought it was Kvon.

Only to you, on the outside. In here, in my head, where you're "Will," I'm simply "me."
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by KvonNJ
    Ah... it gets more fun.
    See, your name doesn't belong to you. Even though it's you who give me your name to call you by, your name is a projection of MY mind, and vice versa.
    My thoughts don't go, "Karl wants a glass of water," or "Karls legs hurt in the lotus position."
    they're more immediate. And "Karl" becomes ME. I. "My back hurts and I ought to me using the seiza bench. That'll help me."
    No name. I. Me. My. In my head, my name doesn't mean anything.
    thus, MY name actually belongs to YOU.
    And vice versa.
    There's no "Karl" in my head. Just Me. I. Karl only exists when you need something to call Me. I.
    That's totally true. At the same time, if someone calls me 'Bob' or 'Jim' or 'Sue' there's an immediate mental rejection, a sort of jarring/jarred feeling. But if someone calls me 'Charlie' or 'Charles' things keep running smoothly. My name does mean something in my head, even if I don't call myself by it.

--Charles

He Who Cannot Be Named is the (name?) of the guitarist for a hardcore band called the Dwarves.

I don'tknow anything about The Dwarves or their oddly monikered guitarist, but I do know that I sometimes refer to my wife as
    "She Who Must Be Obeyed."

Cool, I think that I can actually reply with a koan here, and not be dreadfully off topic. Not "three pounds of flax," though!

Case 16: When the Bell Sounds

Unmon said, "The world is vast and wide.

Why do you put on your seven-piece robe at the sound of the bell?"

Mumon's Comment

In studying Zen, you should not be swayed by sounds and forms.

Even though you attain insight when hearing a voice or seeing a form, this is simply the ordinary way of things.

Don't you know that the real Zen student commands sounds, controls forms, is clear-sighted at every event and free on every occasion?

Granted you are free, just tell me: Does the sound come to the ear or does the ear go to the sound?

If both sound and silence die away, at such a juncture how could you talk of Zen?

While listening with you ear, you cannot tell. When hearing with your eye, you are truly intimate.

Mumon's Verse

With realization, things make one family;
    Without realization, things are separated in a thousand ways.
    Without realization, things make one family;
    With realization, things are separated in a thousand ways.
    I particularly like Mumon's verse here.

Paige,

Thanks for posting that; it's beautiful.

--Charles

Stephanie
    One answer, two answers, five answers, no answers.

Yee haw! :lol: