Thread: Life of Buddha BBC

Life of Buddha BBC

This Bio is actually pretty good. It's from the BBC, but I don't know if it's breaking any precepts watching it because it's on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2NLQGrbf5U&mode=related&search=[/video]] ... mp;search=

Don't tell anyone I told you. :wink:

Gassho Will

Good find Will, Cheers.

Anyone got any comments on it's content/accuracy? I've been trying to watch it but got a 3 month old and 18 month old who have other ideas :lol:

I watched it and found it fairly accurate. That's why I recommended it It's more of a Biography than a story. They stick to the facts. I only watched it once a few days ago. I might have to watch it again.

Having fun Kev

Gassho

Ahh the BBC... so many good documentaries come from them!

Thanks will,
    G,
    -K

PS- Nice to have you back.

It shows the Buddha with tight curly hair as is seen in statues. The tight curly hair is from Greco-Buddhist interaction. The Greeks were the first to employ a sculptural representation of the Buddha and all representations since then were based around this Greek influence - the tight curly hair, toga like garment, the aureoles etc.

It is extremely doubtful that an Indian from the foothills of the Himalayas would be sporting a Greek hairstyle!

Thanks for the info Jun. I heard that he shaved his head as was traditional at that time. Thanks for pointing that out. I think it's for dramatic effect. You can notice how he gets a topnot after his realization.

I think it's also important to note that they are talking about Jhanas which are are usually used in other Buddhist traditions not necessarilly Soto Zen.

Gassho

I heard that he shaved his head as was traditional at that time.
    Hey Will,

Actually, the Pali texts I've read indicate that he didn't shave his head entirely, but simply removed his long topknot that was worn as a symbol of royalty. He would have simply cropped his hair short - not shaved it off.

Just finished watching it. Good documentary. The good news is that it presented pretty much what I already knew (but it was still enjoyable to watch). That means that finally things are starting to sink in my little brain. :lol: