Thread: Welcomes expand Exponentially

Welcomes expand Exponentially

Hi Guys,

Just curious about something, open to any ideas or desires to keep thing unchanged.

Our Sangha is not all that big, but as we have gotten to a certain number of folks, the number of greetings has started to expand exponentially. I love it, but maybe there is a better way to do things appropriate to a written forum such as this? Any suggestions?

Maybe, for example, we can appoint a couple of "Official Greeters", and they could be responsible for welcoming new people on behalf of everyone (Harry??)? Any other ideas?

I wish too that we could wish "farewell" to folks who decide not to stay or drift away. :-)

Gassho, and Welcome to Everyone even the Old Comers, Jundo

I like the idea of an "official greeter." One or two people .

We will have to get Harry one of those blue vests with a smily face button.

:twisted:

"Hello, welcome to Sangha-Mart"

A lot of other forums have a specific section for introductions. There could be one for farewells as well I guess. An official greeter seems like a reasonable idea.

Usually if there's a bunch of welcomes already, I don't post one.

The one thing that I've noticed, where treeleaf differs from some other forums, is that that they will have the site split into sections, and relevent topics posted in the appropriate section. I don't know if that would really work with Treeleaf though.

Gassho Will

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan
    We will have to get Harry one of those blue vests with a smily face button.

:twisted:
    Yeah, Harry, and make sure you wear at least 15 pieces of flair. :twisted:

The new faces of the month monthly thread is a great idea.

A monthly IRC chat for the little stuff, say last Wens of the month, 10 pm in London, 5 pm New York, 7 am in Tokyo. I'll give this some more thought.

As Will stated, other forums usually have a specific section for introductions separate from the general conversational posts.

That I believe would be a good idea for the Treeleaf too.

Gassho

I think we originally did start with a separate Introductions thread, but people kept creating new ones for themselves, Perhaps we ought to just go back and sticky that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor
    "Hello, welcome to Sangha-Mart"
    Shop smart, shop Sangha-Mart. :lol:

But yeah to concur with some other thoughts a special area for welcomes and introductions might be a good idea.

"Harry, official greeter and BS detector."

I likey.

IF YA NAME'S NOT DOWN YA NOT COMING IN.

Hi,

I think Harry's suggestion for a 'New People of the Month' topic is quite good.

Having a separate section seems OK too, however I've seen some forums where that can get out of hand as well when people start making a separate section for everything under the sun.

A place for goodbye's would be nice as well, but I think in most cases those individuals just stop participating for one reason or another.

Gassho
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Jun
    As Will stated, other forums usually have a specific section for introductions separate from the general conversational posts.

That I believe would be a good idea for the Treeleaf too.

Gassho
    I agree all around. Good idea.

Gassho,
    Keith

Either way would probably be an improvement, but I think I would have to lean toward the monthly sticky idea. I rather like the simplicity of the "Book Club Forum" and "Community Forum", and perhaps an additional "Introduction" forum would be a little out of place?

Someday it will probably become necessary to fracture up our forums by topic, but for now, I don't see that as necessary. I find it quaint to have all discussion in one place.

My two cents… :wink:
    Gassho,
    Kelly

Hi,

Okay, based on consensus, we will have a monthly sticky thread. When folks contact me to sign in, I will point them there. Please, everyone, look in there from time to time and sat "hi" to the new folks.

Harry can be our "Official Greeter", though I'm worried that, after one of his trademark greetings, that's the last we'll hear from some people! :-)

Gassho, J

Yep. Although, the conneticut one was pretty good.

G,W