Thread: The importance of a Sangha

The importance of a Sangha

It's refreshing to know that we have others who are following the same path we are. The Buddha must have had a lot on his shoulders. Be in the world practicing with others who don't follow this practice or path, is somewhat daunting at times. It's good to have a group of people who have taken up this practice and understand or share it together.

Gassho Will

indeed! Motivational and educational Plus my wife doesn't want to hear about it anymore :lol:

Gassho
    Dirk

indeed! Motivational and educational Smile Plus my wife doesn't want to hear about it anymore
    I could lend you a cat?

I've always liked the verse in Father Death Blues;

"Buddha Death, I wake with you
    Dharma Death, your mind is new
    Sangha Death, we'll work it through"

(If anyone is interested they can hear it sung here http://<iframe class="restrain" titl...="0"></iframe>

Sangha's such a funny word.

Some people translate it as "Buddhist community," but others think it refers to the order of monks and nuns, and still others say it means just the assembly of enlightened arahants! Confusing. :?

And some think it means the whole universe, and every bird and tree and grain of sand.

I go for the inclusive definition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jundo
    And some think it means the whole universe, and every bird and tree and grain of sand.

I go for the inclusive definition.
    Commie!

david
    Plus my wife doesn't want to hear about it anymore
    So it is in my little world, Krid. But if they won't hear anything about buddhism they can't avoid practise it with you, can they? Because there is no practice without them and at least I practice because of them -all the people, I mean.

Sangha's such a funny word.

Some people translate it as "Buddhist community," but others think it refers to the order of monks and nuns, and still others say it means just the assembly of enlightened arahants! Confusing.
    This is just a difference of schools. Theravada Buddhism affirms that Sangha applies to the monastic community (ordained sangha) and to those who have entered the path to enligtenment (noble sangha). For the buddhist community of munks and laypeople the term is Parisha.
    This is not so in Mahayana Buddhism in general nor in Zen Buddhism in particular and as this is a Zen Buddhist Forum we can without fear use Jundo's inclusive term, with birds and trees too... :wink:

Oh i kid a bit there
    Its just that when i get excited about "X" she gets to listen to my overexcited ramblings. She still puts up with me- we actually began practicing a bit together. She said she was "proud" of me for A) actually sticking with it (hmmm commentary on my stick-to-it-ivness?) B) sitting still for so long! My daughter thinks im a jungle gym if im sitting while she is awake... and the cats occupy whats not used on the zabuton So we all practice together - even if im sitting in an empty room.

Gassho
    Dirk

the importance of sangha

Hello to the sangha of this thread, and to the sangha of all threads on the forum, and to all the sangha of past, present and future forum here at the Treeleaf Zendo cyber sangha!

There is another thread somewhere around here called 'Sangha is Everywhere' or something like that.

Indeed I believe we move effortlessly from one sangha to another all day: we are members of the inter-penetrating, co-arising sangha of LIFE.

I guess you could say I'm with Jundo on this inclusive definition!

I don't disagree with the Sangha is everywhere viewpoint. Well... we have no real choice in that. Each moment we are presented with the universe whether we realize it or not; however, sometimes having a couple of dudes, sentient beings, etc.., who are doing this practice is refreshing, if only for the fact that they are doing it, you know "sitting", becoming intimate, realizing, aching, joking, worrying, confused, clear, day after day. On a path that you decided to tread however many years ago and day by day, moment by moment. The will to sit and realize the goodness and joy within ourselves and unfold our full potential. Even if, some days, we feel like we are terrible people and will always be that way . We get back on the cushion, or some do. That's got to make you smile.

Dishes then off to bed.

Gassho Will