Thread: Zen and Neil Young

Zen and Neil Young

I received a gift from my son at Christmas of a Neil Young documovie entitled Heart of Gold. It documents a ten day production of a concert at the legendary Ryman theater in Nashville of Young's Prairie Wind music as well as some of his oldies. Outstanding is my comment and worth the time of viewing. Those of you who love acoustic guitars as much as I do will find the section on "old guitars" worth the price of admission.
    The reason I am putting this on our site is the nascent Zen Buddhist comments made by young during an informal interview. He states, When I was 20, I was big. As I have grown older, I find that I am growing smaller. Today at 56 I feel like a am a leaf on a river, floating downstream. I am so much a part of everything. His peacefulness and joy is visable throughout this ten day event. Might be worth checking out if you enjoy such music.
    It was a great gift from my son who is a musician and resonates with Young's theory of creativity and spirit.
    Gassho,
    David aka PapaDoc

Hi David,

I don't know if he considers himself a "Buddhist" as such, but he did get rather more spiritual after his serious health scare a few years back ...

The best is approaching. I have everything -- well, not everything, but a lot of things that I've accumulated through my life experiences. It's easier to communicate through music than it ever has been before. It's easier to play. It's easier to sing. It's easier to write. Nothing is forced.

When my doctor discovered the aneurism in my brain, he said I'd had it for about a hundred years. He told me I'd had it for such a long time that I shouldn't worry about it...but that we'd have to get rid of it immediately. Yeah, that's Zen medicine. He's very wise. I trusted him completely. All the people who took care of me were absolutely the best at what they do -- even though there was a complication, a complication that has a one-in-twenty-seven-hundred chance of happening in my type of operation. ... I don't know if the event is important. But the result was. ...
    http://www.esquire.com/features/what-iv ... ILYOUNG_88

Halves on a 12-string Alverez for my son for xmas. I'll look for it. We played a little music. He on his new ax, me on harps older than him. What a wonderful xmas this has been if I see.

Great film, I love Neil Young. He's an amazing artist and an inspiration as a human being.