Thread: Treeleaf IRC

Treeleaf IRC

Gassho All!
    With Jundo's Okay I have setup an Treeleaf IRC channel on irc.dal.net for all to use.
    First off the irc channel #treeleaf is simply a supplementary tool to the forum. A way, for those that choose to use it, to carry on disscussions, in a slightly less formal envioronment. In no way is this to compete with the forum, more to add to it. A way for all of us to speak freely as we do, in realtime with each other, one on one etc. Same rules of conduct apply there, we can talk about "almost" any thing...

For those familiar with IRC (internet chat relay) all you need to know is:

The channel: #treeleaf
    The server: irc.dal.net

For those not too familiar with IRC* here is some information to get you started:
    (* those who are not and would like to try it out please feel free to contact me directly and i will gladly help you out via private message on the forums here, MSN, email... mental telepathy )

First off: IRC =Internet Chat relay=
    irc allows multiple users to chat in real time together. It is an older techology that was generally left to the very geeky buddhas IRC requires the user to have a client to join the chat. The clients available are many and cover all possible operating systems. each will require a bit of configuration but nothing that is any harder than filling in some information.

Here is a list of clients (with links to download) for various operating systems(this list is abit dated; mac users will find that due to OS X's Unix underpinnings, they can use some of the unix clients)

http://users.dal.net./cgi-bin/login.cgi

here is a lovely breif but useful instruction on configuring and using irc, the insturction is for a specific windows client but most the idea is the same for all clients:

http://www.mirc.com/install.html

More information for those new to irc aswell:
    (from the same source as above is posted)

http://www.mirc.com/help.html

At most any time if anyone needs help, i will gladly lend a hand as needed to the best of my ability

Gassho
    Dirk (aka Geeky McNerdenhiemer)

There is an extension for Firefox users, so you can use IRC within the browser.

ChatZilla: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/16

Hi guys,

Good stuff, I'm looking forward to trying that out - thanks!

Gassho
    Ken

Ah! very good point Jim! I really liked that chatzilla personally, it actually slipped my mind!.

Another option perhaps at a later date (dependent upon use and demand) is a java based web application called jIRC which is pre-configured to connect to a default channel and hosted off of a web server. all the user needs to do is enter a nickname and hit the join button and Voila! they are connected.
    Anywho looking forward to seeing you

Gassho
    Dirk

What about elevating this to an announcement or technofaq? Hmmmm?

And, I want to be Barney for a day...er 24 hours at least.

I figured out how to connect, anybody out there?

Yes i seen some ppl were visiting ( checking through my logs)... dont be offended that i dont answer.. when im on from home i connect as krid56k the other krid is just my connection from work. Actually i see that my name from work is now Guest with a bunch of numbers :/ hehe

Okay couple of things i should have posted earlier

When you join you *should* register your nickname so that
    A) your name will be reserved
    B) we can be sure you are you

to do this simply join the channel and type the following (replacing the sample stuff with your own information.

Code:
    /nickserv register [password] [youremail@host]
    please use your actual, active email address because you will recieve and email with another command that you will need to authenticate you are you and finish the nick registration process.

Once this step is done i can add you to the operators list. for those that do not know what that is it means you can control some aspects of the channel (add /change the topic, kick or ban some one who is causing trouble use some other features ill cover later)

I will be on and off all weekend (all evening tonight from 5pm EST until latenight im sure ) so drop on in!

Gassho!
    Dirk

This might be of interest to some non-techies or others. Go to http://www.dal.net you can log in there and chat via a java based client.

There we go! thats perfect good find jim! I guess i should have looked around abit closer ops:

Gassho
    Dirk

Using Apple's somewhat dated OSX 10.3. "Panther" I downloaded Colloquy which seems to work perfectly – once I found out the server port has to be set to 7000.

Regards,
    Mensch

Here's an idea. The chat channel is open all the time for those who drift in and out. Could we try a weekly meeting time for those who can participate? Sort of like the picture project we did a couple times. I looked at time zones and was thinking Saturdays 22:00 UTC. That puts the Europeans in at around 10:00 PM and Will at 6:00 AM Sunday morning, I think. I mean there's a good reference point anyway, we can move it backward or forward depending on suggestions.

Just an idea.

Grand idea! im sure we can work out times to satisfy most. anywho im almost always on or around

Gassho
    Dirk

How cool is this! I was just wondering if I should set up an IRC channel for fellow treeleafers but I see krid beat me to it. All the better so I don't have to do anything but can just join in the fun.

I'm usually studying from 9am to 7pm (Finnish time, google it up if you want to know), but I'll try to drop in when I have time. Actually you'll probably see me there all the time as the client program I use to connect doesn't run on my personal computer, but I'll try to drop in every now and then (though not so often I hope - after having spent the last 6 years in computer business and spending 8-16 hours per day in front of the glowing screen I'm trying to tune it down a bit ) to chat too.

I'm a go for some general meeting time as long as it's not too late or in the middle of the night. I'm trying to set a regular sleeping / sitting pattern now that I don't have a roommate anymore and staying up late doesn't work very well with getting up early. :roll: