Thread: They're back!

They're back!

Remember all those archived "Sit-a-long with Jundo" sittings, all those hours of talking and timeless silence that we're ... lost ... lost ... lost ... Yeah! Yippy! HOORAY ... last week?

http://treeleafzen.blogspot.com/2007/11 ... -gone.html

Well, they're BACK! Yeah! Yippy! HOORAY!

I guess that shows that all things are change, even change.

Is this some kind of 'post-mortem reincarnation'?

Now, I will have to give a talk on "Dealing with Un-loss"

(I will give it tomorrow, because our topic tonight is "Being a Buddha Robot"

Gassho, Jundo

Been thinking about your comment about "un-loss" a little Jundo. Don't know why, it just keeps spinning around in my otherwise underoccupied head, I guess. So, I'm going to have to get this out. Forgive me if it makes little or no sense.
    I suppose... Sometimes we cling to our own asceticism. Loss itself becomes a posession, an achievement. We get posessive, even prideful about what we've lost and the loss thereof, as if our grace in losing it were a matter of pride. "Look at me... I dealt with this impermanence SO well!"
    Then again, maybe I need to go sit on my elegant posterior, rather than talking out of it...

Quote Originally Posted by KvonNJ
    Loss itself becomes a posession, an achievement. We get posessive, even prideful about what we've lost and the loss thereof, as if our grace in losing it were a matter of pride. "Look at me... I dealt with this impermanence SO well!"
    It is an interesting question about whether that is a "good" pride (especially, if a self-pride, not a pride to show others). I once had a teacher (I forget who) tell me, for example, that "attachment" is not good, unless it is attachment to our Zazen, which is "good attachment". I don't know. Dogen, and probably even the Buddha himself, certainly had a bit of pride and ego about them ... but it was directed and sublimated in positive directions (organizing a Sangha and teaching). I'm "proud" of many things in my own practice when they seem to go well..

Anyway, of course, when I "celebrated" the loss of the videos I also was annoyed. Being annoyed at bad news is a natural reaction. The only question is what we do with the unhappiness and annoyance ... Having a bit of self-pride at our non-attachment seems like reasonable medicine, perhaps, and better than many other types of pride).

Gassho, Jundo

Anyway, of course, when I "celebrated" the loss of the videos I also was annoyed. Being annoyed at bad news is a natural reaction. The only question is what we do with the unhappiness and annoyance ... Having a bit of self-pride at our non-attachment seems like reasonable medicine, perhaps, and better than many other types of pride).

I get it.
    I think I was talking more about the sort of thing that becomes a goal in itself.
    Like, picturing two Amish men arguing, and one yelling, "Oh yeah? Well I'm TWICE as humble as you!!"

(and Jundo- I just re-read my own posts... please don'tthink I was talking about you or my perception of you or anything. Just babbling what was running through my own head.)

Re: They're back!

Hi Jundo,

Suuuper, a big hip, hip hooray from me too.

I have to admit though, I kind of feel sorry for those new Treeleafers out there who may now have to cancel those long beach vacations they booked when they found out they wouldn't have to spend all their time catching up on those past 'Sit-a-Longs'. :lol:

Gassho
    Ken

this is good news indeed. when you have a brain like mine, it is nice to be able to review your actual talks rather than relying on my memory of them. speaking of back-ups, is there anyway you can back-up some of your better talks.. not that there are any bad ones.

Quote Originally Posted by KvonNJ
    (and Jundo- I just re-read my own posts... please don'tthink I was talking about you or my perception of you or anything. Just babbling what was running through my own head.)
    With a comment like that, you are talking about all of us I think.

I don't know about "backing up". I will contact the company and ask them if they know (I'd like to keep some too, simply so I don't have to keep answering the same questions again and again. :wink: "Oh, you want to know my view on whether eating the recently arrived space aliens violates the Precepts because they are a vegetable based life form and the Buddha only prohibited eating meat? Please see January 7th, 2018."

Maybe some of our technical people might have an idea. I would imagine that, since data is coming into my computer to view it, there must be some place that data can be intercepted and stored?

Gassho, Jundo

P.S.- Yes, because of the injunction to avoid taking sentient life, the Buddha would not advocate eating the aliens even though they are merely super intelligent carrots.

Buddha also said do not harm plants or minerals...

Gassho,
    Jordan

But seeing as the living carrots are just an extension of the mind...

One way for individuals to save the Sit-A-Longs is to download and install Mozilla Firefox web browser (available for ALL operating systems, mac/win/linux) http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ once installed you can install a tiny extention...
    Video DownloadHelper 2.5.1 (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3006)
    available right from the firefox homepage. Once this is installed you can view any page that uses embedded flash movies and save them to your local drive in flash format... for laterviewing or archival purposes (once this extension is installed you will see a small image that is animated, in the upper toolbar by the url that, when clicked, drops down a menu to choose to save said video). That being said there are also a host of free or online tools you can use to convert that format (.flv) to avi, mpeg or the like. You can view the freshly saved videos in the native flash format (.flv) using VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/) player which is also free and available for all operating systems

Gassho
    Dirk

okay i just tested for myself and found that the VLC on My computer (OSX) played the vid but the audio dropped out, this is due to VLC needing a pluging (FFMpeg) Rather than going through that i googled and found a number of free standalone players for the flv format and they worked beautifully. there are also a number of free conversion applications so you can make the files ipod friendly (or zune or w/e you use) im just going to dl the files for archival purposes... load them on a thumb drive so i can watch them @ home (no high speed connections where i live, I can only watch from work)

FYI these files tend to be around 85mb on disk.

Gassho
    Dirk

They're gone! They're back! They're gone again! ops:

All the videos are missing again this morning. heh

only temporarily I'm hoping..

They're back!

Probably just down for maintenance.