Thread: Hola Treeleaf!

Hola Treeleaf!

Hi folks,

I've been hanging out here and sitting with Jundo for a while and really like this place.

I'm very new to Zen having grown up Catholic (even going to Catholic schools) with the typical lapse followed by agnosticism. I work with someone who has been practicing for at least a decade so I've been trying to pick his brain but it was through sitting with Jundo that I realized that I'm never going to not-achieve my non-goal any other way than sitting.

That was pretty tough for me being an academic scientist. If I start analyzing and rationalizing things, just give me a cyber smack up the side of my head and I'll get better. Oh, and I'm still very ignorant but I'm a good sport.

Let's see, what else. I'm married and have an 11 year old daughter who is already starting to act like a teenager ("Mom, you're embarrassing me!"). My husband grew up Southern Baptist and my daughter stays with the grandparents for a month every summer. When she comes back, I spend about a month deprogramming her.....just kidding....I think.

Well, there it is.

Hi Tracy and welcome to Treeleaf.

I hope you will find this place helpful and enriching, I sure do.

I have a 3yo daughter, a 3yo son, and a 5yo daughter and I often have these terrifying visions of what their teenage years will do to me.

Look forward to hearing your ideas,

Bill

Cool, I like scientists. What subject? Heartily welcome!

Mensch

Re: Hola Treeleaf!

Quote Originally Posted by TracyF

That was pretty tough for me being an academic scientist. If I start analyzing and rationalizing things, just give me a cyber smack up the side of my head and I'll get better. Oh, and I'm still very ignorant but I'm a good sport.
    Hello and Welcome!

I can relate Haha. May I ask what you study?

Cheers, and Gassho,
    KElly

Hi Tracy. Welcome to TZF. You don't sound very ignorant to me!

All the best.

Hi and welcome!
    Im just starting with the "NO!!!s" I've got a few years until i get the "omg dad ur sooo not cool" or w/e the saying will be then shes 1yr 8mo.

Gassho
    Dirk

Hi Tracy,

Welcome to Treeleaf! I see that you are in Miami also. I live in the Doral area. You? Have you sat with any local groups? Perhaps our paths have crossed. Anyway, nice to have you here.

Gassho,
    Keith

Re: Hola Treeleaf!

... I realized that I'm never going to not-achieve my non-goal any other way than sitting.
    Ah, somebody FINALLY non-gets the non-point around here! :wink:

Welcome Tracy.

Gassho, Jundo

Well hi there, Tracy! Welcome! (Don't forget to try to put up a wee pic of yourself when you can, if you're willing.)

I, myself, am a recovering Catholic/scientist/mother-of-teenagers. Best thing to say about it all: This too shall pass. :wink:

Gassho~

*Lynn

Haha, Jundo. If anyone non-gets something, it's me!

Thanks for the welcome. Looks like we have lots of Moms and Dads here. Kids definitely teach us mindfullness. I like when Jundo lets his little boy (Leon?) join in the sit-a-longs. I have to keep telling myself, "Don't watch him, don't watch...awww he's so cute...no, no....I'm just sitting"

Anyway, Keith, I live in Coral Gables. I haven't gone to any zen groups yet. I guess, I'm still a little shy about it. Do you go anywhere?

Lynn, you're a scientist too? Cool!

For those who asked, my science is experimental biochemistry/biophysics. I stress experimental because I'm not smart enough for theoretical biophysics. I let the smart people think up the mathematical relationships and I use them to decipher my results. Anyway, I'm looking at DNA structure and key proteins that bind to these structures in the test tube to find mechanisms for how chromosomes maintain their integrity and don't misbehave. When they do misbehave, your genome becomes unstable and cancerous mutations can result.

Hey Tracy, Welcome aboard.

I have a 4 year old and one just about to get over the terrible two's, both girls. I plan on being retired by the time they are teenagers so I can really embarrass them!

Gassho,
    Jordan

Hey Tracy. Gotta go. can't read your post, but welcome to Treeleaf.

Gassho Will

For those who asked, my science is experimental biochemistry/biophysics. I stress experimental because I'm not smart enough for theoretical biophysics. I let the smart people think up the mathematical relationships and I use them to decipher my results. Anyway, I'm looking at DNA structure and key proteins that bind to these structures in the test tube to find mechanisms for how chromosomes maintain their integrity and don't misbehave. When they do misbehave, your genome becomes unstable and cancerous mutations can result.
    Well, I can't relate to the children (yet), but I can relate to the work you are doing. It that sounds very interesting. What is the ultimate goal of this research? I was never one to delve that deeply into biochemistry. Tutoring first-year molecular biology is about as far I as plan on going (chemistry has always had a way of making my eyes glaze over :shock: ). Myself I am finishing an undergraduate degree this year in Environmental Biology, and am in the process of applying for grad studies in Plant and Fungal Ecology.

Kukai Myoe
    Tracy,

Welcome to Treeleaf. I just joined myself. BTW my wife is a Chemist with graduate studies in biochemistry and analytical chemistry. So you're among friends. :wink:

-Kukai

Hi Tracy,

Welcome, and thanks for sharing so much with us already. Nice to have you here.

Gassho
    Ken

Hi, again, Tracy,

I've sat with two local groups. When I lived in Plantation, I sat a number of times with a group in Boca Raton. It's called the Southern Palm Zen Group; they are a part of the White Plum lineage. That's where I met Jundo. He has served as a teacher there with Mitch Doshin Cantor. I know it's kind of far for you, but it's a great group. Here's their website:

http://www.floridazen.com/

Also, another great group is part of the Kwan Um School of Zen (founded by Korean Zen Master Seung Sahn), the South Florida Zen Group. It's in Southwest Ranches and led by dharma teacher Carlos Montero. Their style is a bit different than the Soto approach, but they are more informal than Southern Palm, and very welcoming. Their site is:

http://www.southfloridazen.org/

Hope that helps.

Gassho,
    Keith

Hola Tracy. Bienvenida.

That protein folding stuff looks cool. Is that a Lord of the Rings shirt? My Emma will be 2 on the 10th this month and in full blown terrible twos. I look forward to seeing you around the TL.

Best Regards,
    Louis

Thanks for the info, Keith. I'll probably check out the South Florida Zen group. It's closer and if you say it's more informal, I think I'll feel a little more comfortable.

Ha, Louis! I was waiting for someone to notice that Lord of the Rings shirt. I received that from my coworkers as a going away present five years ago. Is that geeky or what? :lol:

Hola, buenos dias!
    welcome to the treeleaf

Gassho
    Jarkko