Thread: Making mistakes

Making mistakes

Just another experience related to Jundo's Eightfold path V an Krid's comment.

I missed a class last week because forgot about it. About 2 months ago I would have been kicking myself about it. Worrying if I would get fired, which probably wouldn't happen. You know all the usually anxiety that we feel from messing something up. That day I realized that I was late, got dressed, grabbed my material and went straight to the class. There was no feeling of anxiety, just the knowledge that I made a mistake. I didn't kick myself about it. Mistakes happen, of course; we know it's our reponsibility, but life must go on. And so it does. BTW all the students were gone when I got there except one. Previously, I would have felt very guilty about what I did and the student would feel uncomfortable, but that time I just accepted it and whatever concequences that may arise. She asked me why I was late. I said I forgot. A good example for her maybe. In China students, usually, have the tendency to view their teachers as more than what they are. This comes from Confucianism. So anyway, I got on with the rest of my day.

I have that class in an hour. Not going to be late today. Would like to sleep, didn't sleep much last night, but nope. My alarm isn't working.

Reeally would like to sleep. Hello pillow.

Anyway, point being that all the beating myself up is not necessary. Everyone makes mistakes and if you don't, are you truly human? Just get on with it. Whatever it may be. Dare I quote Nike??

This of couse would, possibly, never have happened without this practice.

I must also thank my students for worrying about my state of health as apposed to getting angry about it.

Anyway, and blah blah blah...

Gassho Will

Yes! Now, don't be late!

Gassho, J :-)

Thank you Will,

I try to tell myself the same thing. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. But so true!

Gassho,
    KElly

Re: Making mistakes

Hi Will,

Quote Originally Posted by will
    I missed a class last week because forgot about it. About 2 months ago I would have been kicking myself about it. Worrying if I would get fired, which probably wouldn't happen. You know all the usually anxiety that we feel from messing something up.
    Oh, yes, I've been there. I used to be a notorious worrier, almost thinking that if I'd run every possible disaster scenario through my mind in advance I would be better prepared for it when it finally happened. It all seems pretty irrational when I think back on it. Of course, those worst-case scenarios never really occur exactly as we see them in our imagination. That's not to say that there never are negative consequences, of course there are. They're just not what we thought they might be, and I can also confirm that our practice can help us to handle them better when they do occur -- without wasting countless thoughts on them beforehand.

Gassho
    Ken

Jundo

I wasn't. I'm pretty sure my students were thinking about not thinking about sleep at moments though.

Gassho Will