Thread: Must Read -books

Must Read -books

(Starting two new threads about books during my first day here... does this mean I'm a literature geek )

Having seen such threads in many other forums, I thought I'd start one here too. I tried looking for such, so if my search-fu failed feel free to move the discussion to the appropriate thread.

So, I thought the idea of this topic would be to list the books (related to Buddhism) you think everybody should read.

I'll start by listing two of my favourites from Brad Warner:

Hardcore Zen
    Sit Down and Shut Up

Hi Mika!

My favourite book I've read on Buddhism so far is Thich Nhat Hanh's - The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings. I found this book really inspiring and wonderful, a few times I found myself saying 'woah' under my breath as something clicked.

I liked Against the Stream & Zen Master Raven i finished Sit down and shut up, and just ordered a copy of The Heart of Dogen's Shobogenzo.

Gassho
    Dirk

Hey Folks,

We had a similar thread awhile ago, "Remarkable Books?", which I just bumped up to the top. There are a lot of great book suggestions there.

Gassho,
    Keith

Yeah, I must've passed before. Or maybe the topic just didn't register as being similar enough so I'd take notice.

I don't know what's the intended policy here, but some forums use "sticky" topics about general and often recurring threads that stay on the top of the list all the time (regardless of the last post time). That helps avoiding people creating new threads about the same topics all the time. I think that book thread as well as Introductions could be good first candidates if we want to have such here.

Hi Mika,

I thought about sticky topics, but we'd have a big big bunch I think, all cluttered at the top. So, I made an administrative/aesthetic decision not to do that.

As the Buddha said about topics ... all things come and go.

Also, there is a good search function, and most of us can find stuff for now. Eventually, I may prune out the lesser threads ... like weeding the garden for Samu.

Gassho, J