Thread: New to Treeleaf

New to Treeleaf

Just a quick note to say hello to everyone here at the Treeleaf Zendo forum. I'm 23 and have been interested in Buddhism for about 5 years now. Although I've read quite a few well known Buddhist books, I really struggle with meditating despite my best intentions, imagine my joy when I found this website and saw I could sit along with Jundo. I've sat along for the last 2 days for the half an hour, something I didn't think I could do before.

I hope to learn from you all and best wishes.

Hi Ten,

Welcome to Treeleaf! It's a great place with great people. I hope you enjoy your time here.

Gassho,
    Keith

Welcome Ten!

One day at a time . . .

Bill

Welcome Ten!

The only thing I hate more than zazen is my state of mind when I don't do it for too long. Sometimes it's just awsome though (like the day after the recent Treeleaf retreat).

I think it was Shunryu Suzuki who summed it up well: "Just do it!"

Regards,

Mensch

Hi Ten,

Welcome. I wish I had gotten started at 23, it could've kept me from doing lots of silly things...

Gassho
    Kenneth

Hi Ten! Welcome and jump right in!

Gassho~

*Lynn

dharmabump
    Welcome Ten! What part of the world are you from?

Welcome, Treeleaf has a way of surpassing expectations.

Cheers,
    Kelly

Thank you for all your kind and warm welcomes! I feel right at home already.

Just a bit more information, I'm in the UK and am currently studying a distance learning course with the Awakened Heart Sangha (AHS), infact I started this 3/4 years ago when I started to become really interested in Buddhism, but I couldn't apply myself, like meditation. I only recently contacted them and asked if I could still do the course, which I can, so far it's going better than last time.

It's strange, even though I think I haven't learnt anything in those years, I've picked up so much life experience in that time and it all inter-relates with Buddhist practice, even though I wasn't physically practicing Buddhism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ten
    Just a bit more information, I'm in the UK and am currently studying a distance learning course with the Awakened Heart Sangha (AHS), infact I started this 3/4 years ago when I started to become really interested in Buddhism, but I couldn't apply myself, like meditation. I only recently contacted them and asked if I could still do the course, which I can, so far it's going better than last time.
    Hi Ten,

Is that http://www.ahs.org.uk? I want to make sure we are talking about the same place

Not to put a damper on your welcome here, but you may find quite a difference in approach here between the Tibetan Mahamudra/Doghzen teachings at AHS and the "Just Sitting" Shikantaza that I teach here. It is not a matter of which is better (I am biased, because I teach what I teach), or which is better for you (that is for you to determine in your life), but that the two approaches may not mix.

I often describe it as going to an Ai-ki-do teacher to practice your Karate kicks and punches: Same underlying philosophy (with important differences), same general goals (with important differences) also very different approachers to technique. Please know that in what you encounter here.

That being said, all are welcome to practice Ai-ki-do here! :-)

Gassho, Jundo

Hey Ten. Welcome to the leaf.

Gassho Will

Pleased to meet you, Ten.

Hello and welcome.

Thank you all for your extra welcomes!

Hi Jundo, yes that is the same place. I can understand your concern about the 2 different practices. My main interest has always been towards Zen because I like the simplicity, but I like seeing what I can discover. I'll just have to see what the AHS course throws up, I have 4 coursebooks to work through and am part way through 1. So far the focus has been on learning about heart language and how it's used, it's interesting and appears everywhere! I also have the opportunity to go on retreats in Wales and teachings in London if I wanted to, but I'm not interested in that aspect of it at the moment. One day at a time and see what happens.

All the best!

Hello Ten, Welcome to treeleaf

Gassho
    Jarkko

Hi Jarkko and Jim. Nice to meet you both!

Hello!

You know, as we add a few new members, the number of "hellos" is starting to expand exponentially. I think this is a wonderful thing, but soon we may have to spend all day and night "hello-ing" each other!

Gassho, Jundo :lol:

I think every post of mine but one has been a Hello in some shape or form. I'm also determined to get the last post in this thread.

So hello and hello. Or maybe I should say goodbye instead!

:P