Thread: simple looks good

simple looks good

I don't know about you guys, but I just read stripping the Gurus for about an hour or so, and simplicity is looking a whole lot more appealling.

G,W

Simple is good!! I'll take refinement over tom foolery any old day.

Hi Will,

Thanks for the book recommendation. I think it is a valuable book in exposing all the various scandals that have popped up in everything from Zen and most other types of Buddhism to the Roman Catholic Church to Scientology. It is a great list of all the dirt over the centuries, and nothing should be hidden.

The book does, however, have the feel of a witch hunt about it, going on and on for pages about everything and anything. Lumping the true sex scandals and power trips in with folks who simply snuck a cigarette or had a drinking problem. Reads more like the National Enquirer (one of the tabloids like the Sun for our friends in the UK), a a gossip sheet, more than a real analysis. That is my only criticism, that it goes far overboard.

Gassho, The Un-Guru

The book does, however, have the feel of a witch hunt about it, going on and on for pages about everything and anything. Lumping the true sex scandals and power trips in with folks who simply snuck a cigarette or had a drinking problem. Reads more like the National Enquirer (one of the tabloids like the Sun for our friends in the UK), a a gossip sheet, more than a real analysis. That is my only criticism, that it goes far overboard.
    Yeah. I guess you have to use your better judgment in that area. It is good for stripping away the facade of the almighty Guru though. Some people might not be aware of any of that stuff. I know I wasn't when I first started looking for a practice. It does kind of read like a tabloid. After I finished reading, I was so happy to read a topic comment by Keishin that was rather down to Earth.

I just feel sorry for some of the people that were misguided or used. It seems that you should have a certain, as you quoted before , "bullshit detector". I guess it might also help to have an overview of many different teachers and practices.

Gassho

Hi again,

We can put the link up, it is free for download ...

http://www.strippingthegurus.com/

Again, my main criticism is that you could write a similar piece on any group or tradition of any religion, and that much of the criticisms (not all) are way extreme. For example, I happened to see a section where X (a pretty standard, non-controversial teacher) made a passing comment, and Y (a leader of a Suicide cult) made a vaguely similar comment ... therefore, the book implies, X must be a dangerous fellow too, and a possible leader of a suicide cult. That kind of 'guilt by association' is ridiculous.

Never drink the Kool Aid!

Gassho, Jundo