Thread: Techy request

Techy request

OOOOOOOK! Remember that the first rule of conduct on this forum is to be KIND, eh? :P I couldn't figure out how else to get help but to post this here.

I'm no newbie to computer whatsits but I am having one deeeevil of a time trying to get my picture down to the 6kb limit in order to upload it for my avatar offering. No problem getting it to the 80x80 pixel size, it's just that it won't drop down below 10.5kb.

Anyone got any hints or suggestions on this? I've even tried dropping the resolution to 100 dpi but it looks so BAAAAADDDD that I wouldn't upload it if it made the cut so I'm trying to keep the 300dpi rez.

In order to keep the bandwidth of the forum free from spammy and un-zenny issues please PM me with your thoughts and suggestions.

Right...over and out! (and manymanymany thanks!)

*Lynn

Hello Lynn,
    Check your pm when you can. I hope it helps.

Gassho _/_
    dirk

I don't know what Krid said, but here's what I do. And if you ask anyone, I do it quite a bit. :roll:

Take a pic. I use photoshop, but another program might do. crop your picture so it's only your face, then go to image size in the edit menu.
    Resize it so the lowest pixel width or height is 80, then save it as a gif. That should work.

Gassho

i said the mostly the same thing. Only im too long winded

_/_

techy problem

Hello Lynn and others here:

I just now tried to look through old forums/threads. Quite a while back several folks put some links up to some 'automatic avatar making' sites. You'd submit a photo to the site and give the specs needed and voila, c'est tout!
    I have no idea where or in what thread they're buried in.
    I had saved these sites because they were very handy--however, my hard drive died, taking everything with it!

If someone knows this link to the avatar making site--please post it!

many thanks,

gassho
    keishin

~**WOO HOO!!**~ :P

Y'all rock!! Thanks for all the great suggestions. I ended up taking the easy way out, which seems to be the hallmark of my Buddha Nature in this lifetime. :roll: Went with Kenneth's site suggestion.

Wonder if there is a way to get a tech FAQ up on the forum for these things that crop up - yesterday I also had to nudgle on Jundo to help me access the blog video. It was easy: just needed to update Flash player. But, seems others have had that question before.

Anyway, well, there "I" am. FWIW, YMMV, take it for what you paid for it, etc.

In Gassho~

*Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn

Wonder if there is a way to get a tech FAQ up on the forum for these things that crop up - yesterday I also had to nudgle on Jundo to help me access the blog video. It was easy: just needed to update Flash player. But, seems others have had that question before.
    Hi Lynn,

Excellent idea for a tech faq! Any volunteer around Treeleaf who would wish to be 'Keeper of the TechFaq' (theme 'Be One with Your Crashed System')? It should be somebody who actually understands how some of this computer stuff works.

Please drop me a private emai at judotreeleaf[a]gmail.com, so I can choose among the flood of resumes.

The post that Lynn refers to is below ...

Gassho, Jundo

__________________________________________________ ___

Dear Kt

Besides that, I seem to have a different problem on the Treeleaf blog as well: no visible 'play' button appears. I see the intro picture for each talk and the text 'Press on arrow for 'play'' beneath it, but no actual arrow. I also right-clicked on the picture and gave 'operator11.com' permission to buffer 1MB on my PC, but still no go. I do have 'Flash' installed and tried with Firefox and with MS Internet Explorer, to no avail. I've probably overlooked something simple. Perhaps someone else has had this problem as well?

Gassho
    Kh

Kh,

Make sure you have the right plugin installed - if it's Macromedia Flash Player you should update to Adobe Flash Player, hopefully that will solve the problem (and it's always good to update as old plugins consitute a safety risk).

K

http://www.download.com/Flash-Player/30 ... ag=lst-0-6

Yep, my Flash plug-in needed to be upgraded to the latest version. Many thanks for the tip! Now I've got a lot of catching up to do...