Tugas Gunadarma Gunadarma Tutorial VB.NET Download OST Anime Soundtrack Anime Opening Anime Ending Anime OST Anime Japan Download Lagu Anime Jepang

Thread: Introduction to Kevin

Introduction to Kevin

Hi, everyone,

My name is Kevin Aldrich and I've just joined the forum. I've spent the last month or two catching up on the sit-a-longs, and am only just now getting to know the forums. It's fun to see in the forum the names I've seen on the blog all along...

A quick bio: I grew up in Syracuse, NY, went to school in Swarthmore, PA, and have bounced around the US and a bit in Australia for the last while. I'm living in Salt Lake City, UT, and have been for about 8 years now. It is here that I met and married my wife, Holly. We're raising two beautiful children (Jayda, 6, and Taegon, 3) together. It's nice to see Leon and Mina in the sit-a-longs. Reminds me of home.

I was raised Roman Catholic, but left that behind when I became old enough to skip church classes and head across the street to play video games at my friend's house instead. I discovered Zen through a tennis instruction book called "Inner Tennis" by Tim Gallwey. That sparked a 12-year-long intellectual study of Zen and philosophical Taoism. I got away from that, and from Zen, about six or seven years ago as I was too scared to really engage Zen, and instead learned more and more about the "local" religion (Mormons). I found some comfort in Mormonism, and a reawakened attention to my more "spiritual" side. Now, I've come full circle back to Zen with a strong desire [sic] to practice, not just intellectualize.

Jundo's sit-a-longs have been a fantastic resource for me thus far. I live about 30 minutes' drive from a Zen center (Kanzeon Zen Center), but have not yet been able to make it out there due to scheduling problems (work, kids, family time, etc). I sit on my own twice a day, but having contact with the Treeleaf sangha has been a great help to me in my young practice (my practice is young. At 34, I'm not quite as young anymore :-)).

I look forward to getting to know everyone better, and learning from all of you. Please feel free to contact me anytime.

Deep gassho,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Welcome! I've a good friend that grew up near SLC. (She taught me how to make some EXCELLENT root beer)

Glad to have you here
    (I am also not so young (34), though my practice is...)

Gassho,
    Greg

Greetings from an old geezer of 39.
    Glad you're here. Wait a minute . . . where else would you be?

Bill

Welcome Kevin!

We seem to have many lapsed Roman Catholics here, wonder why that is

--Helena

Kevin,
    Welcome aboard!

Gassho,
    Jordan

Hey Kevin,

Nice to meet you, I was born in Syracuse too. Small world.

take care,

Greg

Hey Kevin welcome.

Helena wrote: "We seem to have many lapsed Roman Catholics here, wonder why that is"

Lapsed? You mean I don't have to go to get up early on a Sunday! What the?

Keishin started a lovely thread on how we all started in Zazen, I've been meaning to add my nickle, the short story is I have sat most recently with Father Robert Kennedy a Jesuit and of the White Plum lineage in Long Island, but with home base in Jersey. Also his Dharma heir Kevin Hunt, a trappist Monk who also makes a mean Jelly.

The online sangha is a true lifeline. I also appreciate Mina and young Leon's presence as you note. Kudo's to you on the two a day sits!

Best Wishes and Gassho,
    Louis

Hi Kevin,

Welcome. Wow, you're from Syracuse, and Greg too?!?! I grew up in Utica, but used to go to Syracuse occasionally when I was a kid/teenager, especially for concerts. Syracuse rocks! :lol:

Gassho
    Kenneth

Hi Kevin,

Welcome from another cradle Roman Catholic!

Man, at 40 I must have one foot in the grave! :wink:

Gassho,
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by helena
    Welcome Kevin!

We seem to have many lapsed Roman Catholics here, wonder why that is

--Helena
    Haha :twisted:

Gee Kevin, werenít you in my C.A. class (Catholics Anonymous)?

"Hello, my name is Kelly... and I'm a Catholic... but I can change!"

Haha, but I'm only joking. Truth is I still get a tranquil and almost nostalgic feeling when I walk into a church- despite being forced to go when I was young. I even get the odd hymn stuck in my head. lol.

Anyways, nice meeting you Kevin!
    Cheers,
    KElly

Wherever the next mediation is. Every now and then I make it back to Norfolk, England.
    Hi Kevin

Gassho

Martin

hi kevin.. really glad to have you here.. - jeff