Thread: Gratitude

Gratitude

I wanted to share a sort of profound experience that I had last night.

Over the past week, our two sons (ages 4 and 1) had to be taken to the emergency room at different times and for different reasons. On Tuesday night, our 4-year-old was admitted to the hospital for tests, antibiotics, and monitoring. Since our younger son needs to stay home for at least 10 days because of his illness, my wife and I took turns staying over night at the hospital with our older son. Last night was my turn. When I got to the hospital, he was all hooked up to his IV and was watching a movie on TV. So, I got comfortable on the fold-out chair they have for parents and began to read. I then stopped, looked out the window and noticed how beautiful the rain was dripping off the roof of the hospital. I suddenly experienced a wave of gratitude wash over me.

I was overwhelmingly grateful for the rain, for my son, for the movie he was enjoying, for the IV in his arm, for the plastic that made up the IV, for the scientists who invented plastic, for his medicine, for the scientists who invented the medicine, for the plants that gave their lives to be made into the medicine, for the chair I was sitting in, for the sheets that warmed my son, for the doctors and nurses and everyone who worked at the hospital, for the medical programs that the doctors and nurses trained in, and even for their parents and ancestors who made it possible for them to be there for my son at that exact time…

All of this happened in a very short time. I was grateful for all this and more and saw clearly the connection of all these many and varied things. It was very moving.

Good news: my son came home today, and we’re all trying to take it easy for the next few days. Of course, that’s not always easy with two children as it is, much less with two sick children! But, I am reminded of that experience and see the importance of being grateful for everything.

Gassho,
    Keith

Hey Keith,

Send my "get well!" to your sons.

R

Keith,

Thanks for sharing, your boys are in my thoughts and prayers.

Yours Truly,
    Louis

Thanks for sharing Keith.

It would have been so easy to get wrapped up in sorrow or worries or self pity. It is inspiring to hear that you had a different experience.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Best regards, Helena

Hi Keith.

Glad to hear that things are improving. Like Jundo did with today's Fukanzazengi chanting, I will wink to heaven and say a few health, happiness, and long-life sorts of prayers for everyone including your kids. I too am a father and know how scary illnesses in children are.

With love,

Bill

Dear Keith,

How wonderful the kids are doing better! And thank you for such a beautiful example of "learning from all things", that all things are connected and support each other. Please give the boys a hug from Mina and me.

Ah, is there even a perspective by which we might be grateful to the whole experience, even the lowest points? I know you are so close to this right now, it may not be right to say. But, perhaps,' ups' and 'downs' are all the ride? We wish it were not so. This one cut right to the most vulnerable place of all, our kids. Maybe when it comes to our kids, it is not even humanly possible to be at ease ... to not think 'going down now'. But we should be grateful to all of it. I think. Up down up down roller coaster.

But now the ride heads back up again ... Celebrate and be Joyful about that too!

Gassho, J

Hi Keith,

Thanks for posting that -- all the best to you and your family.

Gassho
    Kenneth

Hello Keith!

Thank you for sharing such intimate moments with us. That kind of trust makes the Treeleaf a truly strong leaf indeed.

Gassho,

Hans

Dear Rev R, Louis, Harry, Helena, Kelly, Bill, Jundo, Kenneth, & Hans:

Thank you very much for your replies and good wishes. Your support means more than I can say.

Deep Bows All Around,
    Keith

What I like most about this place – besides Jundo's wisdom of course – is people like you who express their actual feelings, worries and experiences.

All the best to you and your family,

Mensch

Wherever the next mediation is. Every now and then I make it back to Norfolk, England.
    Keith

Thank you for sharing your experience. And great to hear that your son is back home.

Two of my three kids are or have been in and out of hospital for various reasons; the youngest goes back in December, but only for a couple of days. I'm guessing that you and your wife will spare no effort, physical or emotional, to care for the children until they are well again: do take the time to care for yourselves also. Your kids need you well!

Gassho

Martin

Keith,
    Best wishes to you and your family. May your boys be well soon.
    Gassho,
    Bruce

Dear Mensch, Martin, & Bruce:

Thank you very much for your kind words of support!

Martin,

Thank you also for the good advice. I wish all the best to you and your children, as well!

This is truly a great place to be!

Gassho,
    Keith

Hi Keith,

i'm very happy your children are improving, this is the most important thing of course!

I have been sick this week, it was just a kind a flu but very often little illnesses are enough to frighten me about my health conditions.

In other words it is a paranoia, most people have one but this is mine.

Anyway recalling your experience will surely help me a lot in difficult moments, thanks a lot for sharing.

I'm very near to you and your family.

warmest regards

Hello Keith
    Thank you for sharing re.your childs recent health concerns.Warmest regards to you and your family from down under.
    Malcolm (Australia)

Dear Walter & Malcolm,

Thank you both for the good wishes.

It's "funny" but as my sons' health is improving, I became quite ill over the weekend! I had the flu and was in bed all weekend. My wife was amazing as she took care of everyone in the house!

I'm still feeling under the weather, but I'm finally back at work today.

But, at least the Red Sox are in the World Series! :wink:

Gassho,
    Keith