Thread: Hello from Tokyo

Hello from Tokyo

Hi everyone,
    My first post on this forum, but not the last one. Despite the fact that I currently live in Tokyo where there are many opportunities to sit, I believe this cybersangha fits me best. One reason is that I don't speak Japanese, another reason is that my schedule is pretty full and - worse - changing all the time.

I'm pretty new to buddhism and zen although I believe I read my first book about Zen 25 years ago - Alan Watts/The Way of Zen. But until very recently the interest has been mostly theoretical. Now, I'm trying to "just sit" once every day...
    To be frank I'm still not sure zen is my cup of tea, the Theravada tradition is also very interesting. On the other hand, the zen simplicity and focus on sitting are attractive. So, we'll see how it goes.

I will probably have a lot of "theoretical" questions - about to post the first one in a few minutes. Hopefully I can also contribute to the discussions and not only pester you folks with questions...

When I don't work or sit, I try to walk - hence my username. In the mountains/nature if possible, otherwise on streets and in parks.

Gassho
    Walker

Hey Walker. Welcome to the Leaf. Have fun.

Gassho Will

walker

Hello and welcome Mr. Walker!

gassho
    keishin

Welcome, Mr. Walker... I'm a John Muir fan as well... and a 'walker'

Gassho, Greg

Hi,

Yes, we generally value real names. But, we also value something beyond names. So, it is okay if somebody does not want to use their real name ... at least until they feel comfortable to do so. After a certain time, it would be nice if sombody felt comfortable enough to use their real name.

So, said the Zen Master, "What was your name before your mother and father were born?"

Gassho, J

Re: Hello from Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Walker
    I'm pretty new to buddhism and zen although I believe I read my first book about Zen 25 years ago - Alan Watts/The Way of Zen. But until very recently the interest has been mostly theoretical. Now, I'm trying to "just sit" once every day...
    Hello and welcome.

I have just begun reading that book myself. I've heard good reviews, but have yet to read anything by Alen Watts until now.

Cheers,
    Kelly

Hey Walker,

Welcome. I hope your time here will be fruitful.

Gassho,
    Keith

Hi guys,
    Thanks for your welcoming words!

Mr Watts is an interesting character. There are quite a few podcasts with his speeches on iTunes (free of charge) which are pretty interesting. Used to be available from alanwatts.com if my memory serves me (it usually doesn't) but I see that they now charge for everything. iTunes does not, though, interestingly enough.

Welcome Walker!
    For anyone interested in Alan Watts: check out the Alan Watts Theater

Wherever the next mediation is. Every now and then I make it back to Norfolk, England.
    "Travellers, there is no path, paths are made by walking".
    - Antonio Machado

Hi Mr Walker, and welcome.

Gassho

Martin

Hi Mr. Walker

Welcome, nice to have you here.

Gassho
    Kenneth

Hello Mr. Walker

Welcome Mr. Walker! I just arrived in Tokyo and I'm amazed how easy it is to get along with only phrasebook Japanese. I can see how finding a place to sit might be more difficult I'm just passing through. I too have a shifting schedule, and Treeleaf fits it nicely. I hope you find the Treeleaf community to be beneficial.

I sure do find it useful.

Ryan, welcome to Tokyo!